What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » I Cannot Get Live To Work Anymore

I Cannot Get Live To Work Anymore
Author: Message:
DFA

O.P. I Cannot Get Live To Work Anymore
About a week ago I was playing a music CD in my drive and for whatever reason it started causing an error screen to pop up and the message "unrecognized volume" or something like.

Anyways I had to hit the restart button because nothing else was happening and ever since then my MSN Live will not work.

Messenger works fine, my status is fine on Live, I've uninstalled/reinstalled, repaired I've tried almost everything short of tracking down every imbedded Live file in my Registry Editor, erasing it and then reinstalling it.

I'm not getting an error message it just says "Signing In...." and the icon spins indefinately.  It doesn't matter the account either, my connection is fine as everything else works fine.

So any ideas or should I hit the "regedit" and take my chances there or just format the whole thing?

Thanks for your help.

This post was edited on 10-22-2006 at 08:23 PM by DFA.
10-22-2006 08:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
DFA

O.P. RE: I Cannot Get Live To Work Anymore
I see that some people have read this but nobody has replied.  I guess that probably means that there aren't any ideas on how to fix the problem.  Thanks anyways for those who took the time to read the above query.  If anyone could let me know which files to look for in the "regedit" to delete the embedded files I'd appreciate it.  I know that when XP Service Pak 2 is installed it comes with some file called "Messenger" that have nothing to do with MSN Live but they look close, so an exact loaction would be great.

I figure if the program is uninstalled, all the embedded files are gone and then I reinstall it, it may work.  Otherwise I guess I'll have to format.
10-26-2006 06:13 PM
Oxy
Veteran Member

30 / Male / Flag
RE: I Cannot Get Live To Work Anymore
quote:
Originally posted by DFA
I see that some people have read this but nobody has replied.  I guess that probably means that there aren't any ideas on how to fix the problem.

Not allways true, and sometimes you need to wait a while before an answer is posted. :)
[Image: dotlukas.gif]
10-26-2006 06:17 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
I wouldn't mess around with the registry if I were you.

Try a clean installation first:
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Okay, go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Scroll down to "Windows Live Messenger" and press Change/Remove. Remove the software, then go to C:\Program Files\ and delete the folder "MSN Messenger". Reboot your computer, go to http://messenger.msn.com/ to re-download the software and then re-install.

(This is a clean install, where most of the files on the computer are deleted.)
If your worried about deleting your display pictures, emoticons, etc. see CookieRevised's reply to "Where's stuff stored?"

Also, it helps if you refer to the correct names:
MSN Messenger
Windows Live Messenger
Windows Messenger

This post was edited on 10-26-2006 at 06:24 PM by Chris4.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
10-26-2006 06:23 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
DFA

O.P. RE: I Cannot Get Live To Work Anymore
Thanks for the responses.  I've tried the clean install a few times and the result is the same, that's why I was wondering if there may be some embedded folders left in the registry that may be corrupted.

The unrecognized volume issue was dealt with it's just all the problems started after that happened...it was very strange, even after the CD was taken out the PC was a mess and had to be reset.

...and yes both Live and messenger are installed at the same time.  I can even run both at the same time (using different user names) did that create a problem?  There was never an issue with having both before but maybe something developed.

"Have you tried disabling your windows firewall and if you have any other firewall installed temporarily disable it while attempting to connect. if you succeed in connecting you need to revise your program control settings for WL Messenger within your firewall/s."

I'll try this tonight...thanks

Thanks for all the tips and help...I appreciate it, I'll let you know how it goes!
11-03-2006 09:14 PM
boooda666

hers what i did
1 unintsall any other msn messenger.
2 go to Run/ regedit
3 \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ Microsoft
4 Now look for any other messenger and delet them.
you should only have Windows live messenger!!!:P

For some reason theres seams to be a issue with your hots file..
Hope this helps :)

This post was edited on 11-07-2006 at 09:54 AM by boooda666.
11-07-2006 09:51 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: