What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » sort contact by most talked to

sort contact by most talked to
Author: Message:
darkzerox

O.P. sort contact by most talked to
is it possible to add two (or more) new sort methods for your contact list?

how about who you chat to most frequently, and who you've chatted to last... and while you're at it, i suppose you could add last seen online. plus! already records the last time you've chatted someone, and the last time you've seen them online.. you just need a clever mechanism for who you chat to most.
perhaps some kind of messages/time formula.

i'm always trying to manually sort out who i like to talk to most..so this would be really useful for me, and i'm sure many others.

edit: also, why can't we use our custom names for contacts displayed on the desktop? (the windows live ones)

This post was edited on 10-27-2006 at 05:03 AM by darkzerox.
10-27-2006 04:43 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: sort contact by most talked to
Plus has never added ways for the contact list to e sorted an I doubt Patchou will do such a thing I'm sorry.  With WLM you can assign a nick name to your contacts and if you prefix their name with the correct kinds of characters then you can sort them however you please, but this will take a little effort to do or all you contacts.  I hope this helps. :cheesy:

EDIT: The reason for not being able to use the WLM nicknames on the desktop is because Patchou nor anyone else has worked out a way to get the WLM nicknames properly without there being problems and so as soon as this can be done I'm sure Patchou will implement a lot of features around this.

This post was edited on 10-27-2006 at 05:37 AM by markee.
[Image: markee.png]
10-27-2006 05:36 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
darkzerox

O.P. RE: sort contact by most talked to
why would he not implement a sorting mechanism?
and prefixing the names isn't really a solution..the whole idea was to have it automated. but thanks anyway :p
any other programs that implement sorting? or would it be possible to make a plus! plugin that sorts?

one more thing that i thought of..when displaying contacts on the desktop, is it possible to remove their names from the windows taskbar? no sense having two of essentially the same thing...
10-27-2006 05:48 AM
markee
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: sort contact by most talked to
To be able to add sorting mechanisms this would have to be hard coded into WLM itself through the likes of patching an would require some hard work.  For something like this you may be best to recommend this idea to the developers of mess patch and a-patch (sorry I can't remember who they are or where to go to talk to them, maybe someone else can help you there) as they are use to patching messenger and this will also have less problems if people decide to use their patches as well.  I must say I would like to have other methods of sorting my contacts but there is no way through scripting and I doubt Patchou would try and do it as he likes Plus! just to add different features to WLM rather than just expanding upon the ones there (an he doesn't patch WLM the way needed to do this if I am right).

With your other idea, do you mean in the contact list rather then the windows taskbar?  if so this is because of Plus! not changing the contact list itself but just using the contact list and the information about the contacts to generate these other features.  I would prefer them to stay in the contact list as I might have some window in fullscreen and might not be able to see them on the desktop so this way I can always look at the contact list and still see them there, I think this is Patchou's reasoning too, as well as not interfering too much with the features of WLM too much.
[Image: markee.png]
10-27-2006 06:00 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
darkzerox

O.P. RE: RE: sort contact by most talked to
quote:
Originally posted by markee
With your other idea, do you mean in the contact list rather then the windows taskbar?  if so this is because of Plus! not changing the contact list itself but just using the contact list and the information about the contacts to generate these other features.  I would prefer them to stay in the contact list as I might have some window in fullscreen and might not be able to see them on the desktop so this way I can always look at the contact list and still see them there, I think this is Patchou's reasoning too, as well as not interfering too much with the features of WLM too much.

no, i did mean the windows taskbar. you know, the bar along the bottom of the screen, with the start button and time. this ought to be possible, since he removed them for tabbing...

didnt realize sorting with so different from the other features he added. perhaps i shall send a message to apatch..although he seems to like to remove things, rather than add them..

oh well. just thought it would be a nice feature to have.
10-27-2006 08:14 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: