What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Website help needed!

Website help needed!
Author: Message:
Fanta

<fun stuff goes here>

44 / Female / Flag
O.P. Website help needed!
Hey everyone,

I'm kind of hoping that there is someone out there who would lend me a helping hand. The problem is as follows:

I am a total noob where it comes to site design/cms/css/html/setting up a new site/more complex graphics

The people on my website that are better with that stuff than I am, are dropping out or can't find the time.

Now the problem is there, that a lot of kids on the website, made a "magazine" one that I can't put up because there's no layout, no CMS, nothing to help these kids get their hard work online. And it makes me feel rotten.

The site in question is a Harry Potter website, I know there's plenty of people that are now laughing, but I also know that many of you also read those books :P

Is there anyone out there with the time and the skill to lend a helping hand getting this project on the road?

This post was edited on 11-11-2006 at 07:54 AM by Fanta.
[Image: fantaclub7fz.gif]

11-08-2006 05:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Weyzza
Veteran Member

SoCal sunset > *

– / Male / –
RE: Webiste help needed!
If you are looking for a CMS, there are plenty of good CMSs out there.
The recommended ones are PostNuke, Joomla!, or if you want a "community look and feel" site, use drupal.

Using a CMS is usually easy, and you at least have less worry about the security and stuff because all of them have been taken care of by the developer although new vulnerabilities might be discovered from time to time.
Creating new pages is as easy as clicking links and buttons.
They have themes you can choose from, or you want to make a small changes, you can change on the CSS with a little effort (like googling for a tutorial about a problem).

Basically all you need is a database and a server to house your files :)

This is just a suggestion if you want a fast and easy solution without having to know about PHP or other technical things.

This post was edited on 11-08-2006 at 05:41 PM by Weyzza.
Registered 7644 days, 2 hours, 34 minutes, 33 seconds ago.
Happy Birthday, WDZ

11-08-2006 05:29 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Fanta

<fun stuff goes here>

44 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: Webiste help needed!
Thanks for your reply.

Postnuke and Joomla aren't exactly what Im looking at. Both are CMS's that require you to use a template of theirs, and we're talking about a Harry Potter website, I haven't seen a single thing come close to the kind of "magical" touch that we need.

I hope it'sn ot seen as advertising, but the site we're talking about is www.darkmark.com. The main website is not the problem. It's been running for over 5 years now, and while it doesn't have a CMS, we can work with it, as it uses .txt files, but lets not get into that.

It's the project that these members did that we're stuck on, we just don't have the people and skills on board anymore to set it up. So it's a side project alongside the rest of the website, that needs to be started from scratch
[Image: fantaclub7fz.gif]

11-08-2006 05:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: