What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Sound card driver

Sound card driver
Author: Message:
RaPLeX

Fenerbahce SK

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. Sound card driver
Is there a anyway to see sound card name before the install driver?Cuz i cant found sound card driver cd,and i should insall it.I looked bios but didnt saw anything about it.
[Image: 23rs9ya.gif]
12-29-2006 06:12 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
RE: Sound card driver
1. Running "dxdiag" from run (simply click on run and type in "dxdiag")

or

2. Going to Device Manager and see if that mentions your sound card (Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager> Sound,video and game controllers)

If these two do not display your sound card's name then if you know what company made your card visit their website and see if they have a detection program to detect what soundcard your using.

This post was edited on 12-30-2006 at 12:48 AM by _Humphreys.
AC3
12-30-2006 12:47 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

RE: Sound card driver
Hi,

The methods suggested by Carltos Cool both depend on the driver already being installed.  In other words, that is what you should do before you reinstall Windows,  while still using the old installation that (presumably) has all drivers installed.

If you didn't have such foresight and it is too late, there are three things you can do:

1) Use some software that actually scans the bus and identifies PCI devices.  My recommendation for that used to be Lavalys Everest, but they've since discontinued the free Home Edition.  While looking for a replacement, I found this -- it's a little rough around the edges, but seems to work fine.

2) If your sound is built in your motherboard, then your goal should be to identify the motherboard rather than the particular sound chipset.  This handy little program usually does a good job at it.

3) Physical examination -- this requires opening your computer, looking at your hardware for some identifying markings, then putting that into :google: to find out what exactly it is. 

For example, here is a picture of a Creative SB Live! card:

[Image: voldemort_lydkort_stor.JPG]

Notice the main chip says "Creative" on it and there is a model number in the upper right corner.  You should be looking for hints like that, then googling them.  If there is nothing relevant on the circuit board, try some numbers from the main chip. 

If you have onboard sound, you can also use the same method to identify your motherboard.  The motherboard model number is usually prominently printed on the board somewhere and easy to notice; they tend to be short strings of letters and numbers (for example, "P4C800").
12-30-2006 04:30 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: