What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » messenger lock icon

messenger lock icon
Author: Message:
akyafr

O.P. Huh?  messenger lock icon
when I changed the messenger lock icon, a thing popped up and said the numeric identifier was wrong....how do I know what the numeric identifier is for a .dll file?
11-11-2006 05:03 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
RE: messenger lock icon
When you select a .dll to get an icon from, in Plus! you'll have to write "icon.dll,10" or "icon.dll,11"

If it's wrong, then it means that for that number there is no icon.
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
11-11-2006 05:27 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
wingsugar

RE: messenger lock icon
ok ,im new so nice 2 meet u lot.
anyway ive got a similar problem and i wan2 use a different icon 2 lock the messenger but i cant. im tryin to use the C:\WINDOWS\system32\mycomput.dll
icon(if this is an icon) and put ,1 after it and ive tried wiv all the numbers upto ten and also tried 1000 but didnt work.
So wot do i need 2 do? btw i much preder 2 use the quicktime icon but i cant find it so i dunno wot 2 do.
Cheers 4 ur help
12-13-2006 08:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
akyafr

O.P. RE: messenger lock icon
I also tried afterwards, and still it didn't work....so I have no clue what's goin' on really X_X
12-14-2006 01:59 AM
Funness

35 / Male / –
RE: RE: messenger lock icon
quote:
Originally posted by wingsugar
anyway ive got a similar problem and i wan2 use a different icon 2 lock the messenger but i cant. im tryin to use the C:\WINDOWS\system32\mycomput.dll
icon(if this is an icon) and put ,1 after it and ive tried wiv all the numbers upto ten and also tried 1000 but didnt work.
So wot do i need 2 do? btw i much preder 2 use the quicktime icon but i cant find it so i dunno wot 2 do.
Cheers 4 ur help

mycomput.dll is not an icon, if you want to use the my computer icon as the lock icon, use "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shell32.dll,16"

As for quicktime, you just need to locate the .ico file for quicktime. I personally do not have it installed, so I am unable to help you. There may not be an icon file for it, it may be part of the .exe it self (which plus! can not use as an icon.)

quote:
Originally posted by akyafr
I also tried afterwards, and still it didn't work....so I have no clue what's goin' on really X_X

Basicly, that number just tells plus what icon to use from the dll. The default is C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shell32.dll,10 (a networked hdd icon). If you wish to change it you have to either point it to a .ico file or use shell32.dll's icons. To view em, you need to go from 1-50.. these are all the posible icons from shell32.dll (50 is a blank icon, but it is an icon).

This post was edited on 12-14-2006 at 03:19 AM by Funness.
[Image: kingofpants.png]
                                        funness.net
12-14-2006 03:16 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: messenger lock icon
quote:
Originally posted by wingsugar
Cheers 4 ur help

the ID is not the number of the icon you see when you choose "Other Icon" after selecting an icon containing file when you are in a folder properties page or something...

The ID is always the ID of the icon GROUP...

An icon group usually consists of several individual icons wich all look the same but are in different sizes and different color depths.

Hence why that ID is for the group and not for the individual icons. Since the resolutions/sizes and amount of colors needed can differ from situation to situation (eg: alter your view mode in Windows Explorer from 'details' to 'thumbnails' and you'll see larger icons for all the files).

For the first icon you see in mycomput.dll the icon group ID is 201, not 1 (as you can see in the screenshot, the others are 203, 204, 205 and 222 btw).

[Image: attachment.php?pid=765223]

thus:     C:\WINDOWS\system32\mycomput.dll,201

quote:
Originally posted by Funness
mycomput.dll is not an icon
it contains icons, which is what he meant.

quote:
There may not be an icon file for it, it may be part of the .exe it self (which plus! can not use as an icon.)
Plus! (or any other place in Windows where you can define and link to icons) can use it as an icon, just as any other file which contains icons in its resources.

quote:
To view em, you need to go from 1-50.. these are all the posible icons from shell32.dll.
shell32 contains way more icons than that, in fact it contains roughly 240 icons.

Again, an ID is not the number of the icon, it is the ID of the icon group. And the first available ID does not have to start with 1 and count upwards, it can start with whatever number and can skip numbers, etc.. eg: see mycomput.dll where the first icon has an ID of 201 and it doesn't contain 202, but does contain 203, etc.

To get the proper IDs of an icon you seek, you need to open the file with a resource hacker (like ResHack) and look at the ICON GROUP resource... see screenshot.

.png File Attachment: windows_icongroupid.png (16.89 KB)
This file has been downloaded 1039 time(s).

This post was edited on 12-17-2006 at 12:39 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-17-2006 12:11 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: