What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Disabling ctrl+e/accented letters [SOLVED]

Disabling ctrl+e/accented letters [SOLVED]
Author: Message:
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
O.P. Disabling ctrl+e/accented letters [SOLVED]
I searched... but I was wondering if there was a way to disable WLM's shortcut of ctrl+e for the emoticon panel to come up... I want to disable it cause I'm trying to do my Spanish homework over the internet with the help of a friend... and it's hard to make a "é".... :p... cause it's ctrl+'+e or whatever...

So if anybody knows how to disable it it would be greatly apprecieated!

This post was edited on 11-13-2006 at 04:29 AM by qgroessl.
11-11-2006 10:03 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Disabling ctrl+e
I can't seemto find a way, sorry. Really, the shortcut should be Alt+E, which would be consistent with Windows UI standards (but look at IE7 for a gross violation, by MS themselves...)
[Image: spartaafk.png]
11-12-2006 03:39 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
the shortcut should be Alt+E, which would be consistent with Windows UI standards (but look at IE7 for a gross violation, by MS themselves...)
The shortcut for "é" depends on the keyboard language only, it can also be AlrGr+´e.

Though I must say I never ever heared of Ctrl being used to select characters, normally this is done by Alt or AltGr as that is what their purpose is.

This has little to nothing todo with GUI standards, but all with keyboard layouts.

eg: on Belgium/France keyboard you don't even need a shortcut for "é" as that character is already available directly, just as you can do AlrGr+´e. (which is pressing acute first and then "e" as RaceProUK said).

This post was edited on 11-12-2006 at 07:58 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-12-2006 04:54 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
I think you misunderstood me Cookie. Either that, or wires got crossed somewhere. I meant that the shortcut for the emoticon panel should be Alt+E, to fit in with menus and stuff.

And for completeness sake, a UK keyboard needs Ctrl+Alt+E for é, and a Spanish keyboard needs the acute accent key pressed before hitting e to get é.

Yes, I have both a UK and a Spanish keyboard.

This post was edited on 11-12-2006 at 07:27 PM by RaceProUK.
11-12-2006 07:27 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Disabling ctrl+e
quote:
I think you misunderstood me Cookie. Either that, or wires got crossed somewhere. I meant that the shortcut for the emoticon panel should be Alt+E, to fit in with menus and stuff.
ah... yes... indeed crossed misunderstandings wired wrongly.

Though what it should be is of no matter (he didn't asked it to be a Plus! feature which replaces that hotkey for example; he just wants something temporarly for his personal use).

quote:

And for completeness sake, a UK keyboard needs Ctrl+Alt+E for é
Ctrl+Alt  is  AltGr  (in normal cases) ;)

This post was edited on 11-12-2006 at 08:00 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-12-2006 07:57 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
crossed misunderstandings wired wrongly
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Ctrl+Alt  is  AltGr  (in normal cases)
Noted ;)
11-12-2006 10:44 PM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Disabling ctrl+e
yeah... WLM's shortcut for the emoticon icons is ctrl+e... i have no idea why.... alt e would make more sense....

I'm in the US with a US English keyboard... my spanish teacher told me that ctrl+e+' is how you do it.... and i've had it work, but it took a lot of work cause the emoticons kept popping up :p... I eventually got it but it wasn't worth the hastle of trying 10 times to get it...

Any other shortcuts to get the with an accent would work too :p... cause in IE it always goes up to the seach thing by the address bar.... and if there's a different way to get the accent on the letter I'd use that
11-13-2006 02:48 AM
The Brain

– / Male / Flag
Try pressing Ctrl + ' and then letting go, before pressing the 'e'. That works for me (not sure if I'm set up for AU, UK or US keyboard layout...). This works for me with all vowels (and capitals too) and also works for some other special international characters - eg Ctrl + : followed by a vowel will give ö (umlauts) for example. The other accent (grave?) `, tilde ~ and caret mark ^ can also be used with various letters, and the comma can be used with a 'c' to get a ç.

Hope it works for you!
11-13-2006 04:18 AM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Disabling ctrl+e
Ahh thanks so much! haha... now it works!... I thought that you had to press and hold ctrl and something and then just push the other and release... but I guess not...

haha... Thanks the Brain! Now it works great!
11-13-2006 04:23 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: