What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [suggestion] don't start script on import

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Poll: Do you agree?
No, I like it that they start on install
Yes, but I would like it to be optional
Yes, I don't mind starting it manualy
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
[suggestion] don't start script on import
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [suggestion] don't start script on import
quote:
Originally posted by markee
This would be extremely useful for someone who gets a lot of scripts to have a look at just the methods used before deciding what to do with the script, people like me.  I know I could always dismantle the script and look at the *.js file but I couldn't be bothered and just install it instead.
I totally agree with this; you took the words right of my mouth...

...because:
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
if you really want to check the scirpt before importing it, just rename the .plsc file to .zip and extract the files :).
If you're dealing with hundreds of scripts and very regulary download scripts to check them out, doing this manually is very time consuming, slows down stuff and actually a hassle. Also, many times, checking how the ScriptInfo.xml is viewed thru the importer is part of that 'script-investigation'...

Also, you might wanna check out a script later on too. If you don't want to run a script, you either need to start the script extracting all over again, or you manually need to add it to the registry.

It is indeed a very big hassle actually and something I cursed upon regulary too (if I may say so)...

...but:
quote:
Originally posted by alexp2_ad
this would confuse a lot of people who haven't used scripts before.
[SNIPPED]
I suppose optional would be OK, but I like the current system best.
is of course very understandable and I agree with this too...

Hence why I like to suggest a hidden registry option for it, so that only the people who actually are used to scripts and know what they are doing, can turn this off.

In that way, people who aren't used to scripts, who are new to scripts and all the other 'beginners' would still see the normal default way as it is now...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-15-2006 12:34 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
alexp2_ad
Scripting Contest Winner

Who love the chocolate?

36 / Male / –
RE: RE: RE: [suggestion] don't start script on import
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Hence why I like to suggest a hidden registry option for it, so that only the people who actually are used to scripts and know what they are doing, can turn this off.

Now, that's a good idea. (Y)
11-15-2006 01:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: [suggestion] don't start script on import
quote:

In that way, people who aren't used to scripts, who are new to scripts and all the other 'beginners' would still see the normal default way as it is now...
This is why I suggested the "advanced" hyperlink/button to reveal a hidden area of the window with this option.  I just feel this way it isn't as permanent as a registry setting and doesn't affect other people who also use the same computer when they try to import a script.  Even is someone was to try to create a script to make this user dependant it still wouldn't work because of plus not reading the registry for each event (unless this is made an exception to the rule).
[Image: markee.png]
11-15-2006 01:43 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [suggestion] don't start script on import
quote:
quote:

This is why I suggested the "advanced" hyperlink/button to reveal a hidden area of the window with this option.  I just feel this way it isn't as permanent as a registry setting
Either you are checking out scripts very regulary and thus a 'permanent' registry option is the best and most convenient, or either you don't regulary check scripts out and thus you can manually extract that script for that one time only.

quote:
and doesn't affect other people who also use the same computer when they try to import a script.
the registry setting can perfectly be stored user specific.

Although both ways (registry option and your hidden link) wont prevent people from installing and thus running a script on a computer from sombody else as scripts are global and not user specific. So, your link isn't going to prevent that either. There's no difference in both methods regarding that.

quote:
Even is someone was to try to create a script to make this user dependant it still wouldn't work because of plus not reading the registry for each event (unless this is made an exception to the rule).
I don't quit get that. The registry option can be read only once when the user signs in, it doesn't need to be read each time a script is imported as that wouldn't matter at all.
11-15-2006 02:48 PM
markee
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Cookie, sorry for my lack of thought on the matter, I did try to think it through but obviously the 3 tests this week have fried my brain more than I thought.  Now that you have pointed everything out so explicitly I can really understand that the method you propose will work.  Your way is probably the easier way for Patchou to implement this option anyway.

Sorry again for my lack of thought in my previous post (even though that was my second or third time writing it after trying to think everything through).
[Image: markee.png]
11-15-2006 03:00 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Well... let me surprise you then :p:

I wont totally dismiss your idea though.

But instead of a hidden link or button which may be hard to find or which may require more clicks and probably a new interface, it might also be a thought to keep everything as it is, but when the user holds down, let's say CTRL+ALT, while pressing the import button, the script is imported but not run.... (it might give a nice additional message or something too in the msgbox which pops up telling you the script is been imported).

Although this requires 1 more keyboard click, it is more convenient than finding a hidden link or going to another page or something, it also doesn't require a 'permanent' registry setting and doesn't require an interface change....

Though, it might require a change in code in how buttons on Plus! windows work (whereas a registry setting doesn't require any alterations to existing code) => though this can be a usefull addition for scripters too of course :p.

anyways, food for thought

(speaking of which, I still haven't eaten anything today... :p I'm off in search for some sandwiches)

This post was edited on 11-15-2006 at 03:22 PM by CookieRevised.
11-15-2006 03:15 PM
pollolibredegrasa

formerly fatfreechicken

35 / Male / Flag
In Plus! prefs we have an option to enable the debugger window, which if unchecked basically removes everything to do with debugging that a "normal user" does not need/want to see. How about an option similar to this, where if it was enabled you would get "advanced importing options" (a simple checkbox on the script import window perhaps?)

[Image: attachment.php?pid=753609]

It's only one extra click when importing, can be saved on a per user basis and only those who enable the option would see it. "Normal users" would just get the window as it is now....

Just a thought

.png File Attachment: wnd.PNG (14.97 KB)
This file has been downloaded 258 time(s).

This post was edited on 11-15-2006 at 03:30 PM by pollolibredegrasa.
;p

[Image: chickennana.gif] Vaccy is my thin twin! [Image: chickennana.gif]
11-15-2006 03:29 PM
MicroWay

Do you want me? Try to get me!

36 / Male / Flag
I agrre with fatfreechicken,
With one windows and another "tick" opition, we are possible to not run it and people will not be confused with this "new" second window...

Edit: With this, all people (to berginers to advanced users) would be "happy"...
Edit2: Forget second window... Sorry, my mistake :)

This post was edited on 11-15-2006 at 05:18 PM by MicroWay.
11-15-2006 03:50 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
A standard visible option is exactly what normal people might find confusing, for all they know (and are concearned) importing is running.

The registry option, the CTRL+Import option, and even the 'hidden link' option don't require second windows, neither require visible changes.
11-15-2006 04:23 PM
pollolibredegrasa

formerly fatfreechicken

35 / Male / Flag
Maybe I didnt make my post entirely clear :S

My thought was to add an option similar to the "enable debugging options" within Plus preferences that will specify whether the extra option is shown or not when importing scripts (disabled by default) so only users who specifically choose to see the extra option will.

I'm not sure where second window came from, as this is just a simple modification to the current import window :S
;p

[Image: chickennana.gif] Vaccy is my thin twin! [Image: chickennana.gif]
11-15-2006 04:31 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: