What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Wireless Internet

Wireless Internet
Author: Message:
Ptoye

31 / Male / –
O.P. Wireless Internet
Hey,

I was going to buy myself a new laptop but i did not want to be tied down with wires! I would simply buy a wireless router but my mum needs this pisific one for her work :(. So i was only wondering if there is such i thing that i could plug into a ethernet port on the router to give me wireless intenet but keep the exsisting router?

Thanks in advanced!

Pete
www.mediaonthemove.net

11-14-2006 06:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
foaly

38 / Male / Flag
RE: Wireless Internet
sure... any wireless router or wireless hub will probably do the work...
(just make sure it isn't a modem and the 802.11(a,b,g) versions match...)
11-14-2006 06:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Ptoye
Hey,

I was going to buy myself a new laptop but i did not want to be tied down with wires! I would simply buy a wireless router but my mum needs this pisific one for her work :(. So i was only wondering if there is such i thing that i could plug into a ethernet port on the router to give me wireless intenet but keep the exsisting router?

Thanks in advanced!

Pete
oo i bloody saw one the other day!!! gimme a few mins

hm, it seems this is waht i was looking at
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/BROWSE/662/869/3-/Regi...l?searchtype=genre

not sure if thats what your want, it looks like its a laptop to router way... not sure about router outwards

This post was edited on 11-14-2006 at 07:09 PM by M73A.

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
11-14-2006 07:08 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Kenji
Veteran Member

Previously: Dazmatic, Dazzy, :zippy:

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Ptoye
Hey,

Thanks in advanced!

Pete
the wireless router that i have has 4 ethernet ports included, its a belkin #f5d7633-4. My dad has 3 computers plugged into the router and all access the internet and newtork. i dont think there is anything that would make your existing router wireless though :/

This post was edited on 11-14-2006 at 07:13 PM by Kenji.
11-14-2006 07:12 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Ptoye

31 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Wireless Internet
Hey,

Thats not what i am looking for but it along those line...i want WIRELSSS internet. so that i would plug this device into my exsisting wired router and make a WIRELSS connectiopn but thanks. I already have a set of those Microlink DLan ethernet adapters..they good but very slow:P

Thanks anyways though!

Anymore sugestions :P

Pete

This post was edited on 11-14-2006 at 07:19 PM by Ptoye.
www.mediaonthemove.net

11-14-2006 07:17 PM
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
Well if you already have a router you don't need another one, just a wireless access point that you can plug in the router.

Also if you want to hook up more computers with a wire to you router you need a switch.
[Image: 1-0.png]

11-14-2006 07:29 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Ptoye

31 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Wireless Internet
hey,

Wel that sounds like what i am looking for! Could you inculde a link some for me please....just incase i go ahead and buy the wrong thing :P...and BY The Way would i just plug it into an spare Ethernet port on my wired router....and how many wireless laptops can i run off it at once?

Thanks again!

This post was edited on 11-14-2006 at 07:52 PM by Ptoye.
www.mediaonthemove.net

11-14-2006 07:32 PM
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
Yeah, that's the point of Access Points.

The number of wireless devices it supports is kinda variable, it depends on the make of the device and also your router, cause the access point is only a bridge from wired to wireless.

http://www.misco.co.uk/categories/~1244~/Access%20Points.htm , they have some access points here, however they seem quite expensive to me :S, you could also buy a wireless router for the same money :S

Also I found another subcategory called Wireless Ethernet Bridge, now I'm not sure what the difference between an Access point and a Wireless Ethernet Bridge is, but again they all seem quite expensive :P

If you look at this Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router and one of those Access Points or Wireless Ethernet Bridges you see that this Linksys router is even cheaper...

But as you said your mother needs the router for her work so maybe you need a separate Access Point/Wireless Ethernet Bridge.

Buy anyway, it's your decision :P. I just gave you a lot of info to think about :D

This post was edited on 11-14-2006 at 08:17 PM by Ezra.
[Image: 1-0.png]

11-14-2006 08:17 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
surfichris
Former Admin

Access Points are generally expensive due to the fact that a lot of corporations and businesses purchase them - there isn't that much of a large normal consumer market for them because most people just buy a wireless router which does it all in one.

However. if you buy a wireless router you can generally put them in "Access point" mode where they function as an access point only.

I've just done this with a Linksys WRT54GL which I purchased the other day (because my actual existing access point died). I also converted it to the DD-WRT firmware which is perfectly fine to run on this model (L stands for Linux, the router runs on an existing Linux based firmware and can easily be reflashed)
11-16-2006 12:22 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: