What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » first post instead of last

first post instead of last
Author: Message:
Baggins

B000ALFAZO

29 / Male / Flag
O.P. first post instead of last
when veiwing the list of posts where the last post thing is,  when u click on the >> it should take you to the last post but click on the name of the thread and it would take you to the first post in it.  i am saying this because sometimes in a 6+ page thread i want to look at the first post so i knew what they were talking about without having to click <<first (sometimes i forgetit is there) and also maybe move the >> up beside the thread name
11-14-2006 10:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
RE: first post instead of last
Well, the » is pretty small, and not as easy to click. In MyBB 1.2, it has been removed completely. :p
11-15-2006 05:01 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Well, the » is pretty small, and not as easy to click. In MyBB 1.2, it has been removed completely. :p
Are you going to be able to add this back when the board gets updated because I find this extremely useful.  I see what Baggins is getting at but personally I far prefer it and would hate not to have it, the choice of picking which end of the thread you want is great.
[Image: markee.png]
11-15-2006 05:04 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
You don't have a choice now, so nothing is going to be lost... :p

In MyBB 1.2, there's only one link to the last post, instead of two.
11-15-2006 05:16 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
Imo its fine the way it is. As WDZ said, the » is quite small but on the other had i really like it on latest.php since clicking in brings up the last post while clicking the thread name brings up the first.
Using » looks 100x better than having some crappy icon for it (as most other boards do)
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
11-15-2006 06:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
Hmm... well, on forumdisplay and search results, MyBB 1.2 does it like this...
quote:
Today 08:15 AM
Last Post: CookieRevised
But that's kinda redundant because the column header says "Last Post." :p So I'll probably just keep the arrow on latest.php.
11-15-2006 05:53 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Baggins
when veiwing the list of posts where the last post thing is,  when u click on the >> it should take you to the last post but click on the name of the thread and it would take you to the first post in it.  i am saying this because sometimes in a 6+ page thread i want to look at the first post so i knew what they were talking about without having to click <<first (sometimes i forgetit is there) and also maybe move the >> up beside the thread name
I don't quite get that....

What I see makes perfect sense:
« First  «  6  7  [8]  9  10 »  Last »

Removing any of these will reduce the amount of navigation possebilities. This might no seem important for the occasional poster, but believe me that I use all of them extremely regulary. Thus I often use "first" page, a selective page, 1 page up or down, and especially "last" page...

I even want to suggest to add that very same line at the bottom of a thread view also and on every other page's bottom where it also is at the top...

When you click on a thread's name it should bring you to the first post of that thread. Imagine when this is changed to the last post. Then threads will get even more spamquestions about where to download this, how to work with that, etc. People should always read (or at least know) what the first posts says before replying to a thread.

quote:
i want to look at the first post so i knew what they were talking about without having to click <<first
Well, tbh that's why this link exists. It would be the same as asking a method to update your post without clicking on the update button :/

This post was edited on 11-16-2006 at 01:28 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-16-2006 01:21 AM
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
You're looking at completely the wrong thing Cookie. :P He means the "Last Post" section of the thread list pages, eg:

Thread name
11-16-2006 08:34 AM (username)  >>

The thread name link and the >> link both go to the last post of the thread, so he is requesting that the thread name links to the first post of the thread.
11-16-2006 08:40 AM
Aeryn

– / Female / –
Oh, you're talking about the index page of the forums. I had trouble figuring out what exactly the original poster meant, too, since I always use the Latest Posts page where there is no such issue. And imo, it does make sense the way it is - the whole point of this last post thing is getting quickly to the last post straight from the main page. If the poster wants to read the whole thread it's logical that they either go into the forum or just click on the link to the first page inside the thread.

This post was edited on 11-16-2006 at 02:54 PM by Aeryn.
11-16-2006 02:53 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
You're looking at completely the wrong thing Cookie. :P He means the "Last Post" section of the thread list pages, eg:

Thread name
11-16-2006 08:34 AM (username)  >>

The thread name link and the >> link both go to the last post of the thread, so he is requesting that the thread name links to the first post of the thread.
ah, ok, agreed...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-16-2006 07:44 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: