What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Can't remove email account from OE

Can't remove email account from OE
Author: Message:
alegator

O.P. Huh?  Can't remove email account from OE
I want to remove 3 email accounts from OE, so I go to Tools/Account and in the Mail tab I click on the Remove button after highlighting the respective accounts. So they are removed from the account list. Problem is that when I close OE and reopen it, they reappear in the list. How can I fix this? Thanks.
11-15-2006 07:08 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
trini

– / Female / Flag
RE: Can't remove email account from OE
After removal, try to delete them also from C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR WINDOWS USER\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{4566751F-AE1D-4973-B70E-73AC8A878AE2}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
I think the identity number is different on every computer.
Hope this helps.
11-15-2006 04:59 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
alegator

O.P. RE: Can't remove email account from OE
That folder contains the email messages (dbx files), it does not contain the email accounts.
11-15-2006 06:08 PM
trini

– / Female / Flag
All accounts are listed in registry under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts\
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1409082233-152049171-1957994488-500\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1409082233-152049171-1957994488-500\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail

Try to remove those accounts there. Those S-1-5.... numbers can be different for you.
And when you remove accounts, all dbx files releated to those accounts should get deleted too.
11-15-2006 07:45 PM
alegator

If I delete the registry keys related to the accounts I want to remove, will the messages sent/received from those accounts also be deleted? Because the dbx files store messages and folders within OE.

This post was edited on 11-15-2006 at 07:51 PM by alegator.
11-15-2006 07:51 PM
trini

– / Female / Flag
Well, I personally use IMAP, so all messages are on server, not downloaded to the computer. If you are using pop3 ,I guess you have one inbox for all your accounts, and as far as you dont delete dbx files for your local folders, messages should stay undeleted.
11-15-2006 08:31 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by alegator
If I delete the registry keys related to the accounts I want to remove, will the messages sent/received from those accounts also be deleted? Because the dbx files store messages and folders within OE.
no, they wont...
But don't delete the stuff said by trini though, see below...

quote:
Originally posted by trini
All accounts are listed in registry under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts\
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail
HKEY_USERS\S-1-...-500\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts
HKEY_USERS\S-1-...-500\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail

Try to remove those accounts there. Those S-1-5.... numbers can be different for you.
And when you remove accounts, all dbx files releated to those accounts should get deleted too.
1) The HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive is a copy of the HKEY_USERS hive. If you need to change something do it in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

2) The \CurrentVersion\UnreadMail registry key doesn't store your actual accounts, it simply stores a number of the unread emails shown in Windows Welcome page for example. Deleting your account here will have no effect at all on your actual account., other than cleaning some redundant stuff up....

3) The \Internet Account Manager\Accounts\ key has got nothing todo with mail accounts, but with internet address services.

4) Outlook Express accounts are stored under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{ABE17150-...CFEE4}\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts

quote:
Originally posted by trini
Well, I personally use IMAP, so all messages are on server, not downloaded to the computer. If you are using pop3 ,I guess you have one inbox for all your accounts
It doesn't matter what kind of email type service you use. It depends on your email client if you have the ability to download and store your message on your computer. Even pure web based mail clients can have this possebility.

Also, if they are stored on your local computer, chances are very high that you have an inbox for each of your accounts. It wouldn't make much sense to put everything in 1 folder, after all, they are different accounts.

This is the same in OE, and together with this you have also a what is called "local map" with an inbox, outbox, etc. Maybe it is this map you mean as on inbox for all... Though, you can perfectly have seperate inboxes for all your accounts, as said.

This post was edited on 11-16-2006 at 02:08 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-16-2006 01:42 AM
alegator

Cookie, there's no "Internet Account Manager" listed anywhere below "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{ABE17150-...CFEE4}\Software\Microsoft\"...?
Another approach to solve this issue would be to create a new Identity in OE and import everything from the original Identity into the new one (messages, folders, message rules, accounts, address book, block senders' list). By the way, what is the procedure to import the message rules and blocked senders' list from the original identity into the new one? Thanks.

This post was edited on 11-16-2006 at 08:39 AM by alegator.
11-16-2006 08:33 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Can't remove email account from OE
quote:
Originally posted by alegator
Cookie, there's no "Internet Account Manager" listed anywhere below "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{ABE17150-...CFEE4}\Software\Microsoft\"...?
My firtst account is named "Hotmail JTO":
[Image: attachment.php?pid=754263]

Are you sure you're talking about Outlook Express and not about Outlook? Or are you talking about the old Outlook Express 5?

.gif File Attachment: Image1.gif (15.57 KB)
This file has been downloaded 284 time(s).

This post was edited on 11-17-2006 at 12:36 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-17-2006 12:26 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: