What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » custom nick in front of contactname ???

custom nick in front of contactname ???
Author: Message:
synth

O.P. custom nick in front of contactname ???
i want to ask 1 thing. is it possible or will it be possible ( in the future ) to change the kontacts name into whatever i want to? i mean , it is possible sure , but i dont want to change the whole nick of the kontact. i want to change it for myself. but i still want to see the name that my kontact wants to let me see. in a former version of plus or msn it was possible. there i added my custom nick for the contact and it was displayed in front of the contacts name. i hope u understand what i mean :S
11-17-2006 11:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: custom nick in front of contactname ???
This is not possible unfortunately, the custom contact name feature is no longer a part of Plus! Live sorry.
11-21-2006 12:44 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
synth

O.P. RE: custom nick in front of contactname ???
why it is no longer ??? any other ideas how to get it fixed how i want ???
11-21-2006 01:40 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by synth
why it is no longer ??? any other ideas how to get it fixed how i want ???
Messenger Plus! Live was written from scratch because Windows Live Messenger was so completely different than MSN Messenger.

Because of this, all the features which were in Messenger Plus! 3 had a review. Some returned in a new way, others didn't. For some it wasn't yet decided if they would ever return at one point.

The custom contact name feature is one of those. Because Windows Live Messenger has now its own custom nickname feature, the custom contact name feature of Messenger Plus! has not been reprogrammed (again, nothing was 'removed' as Plus!Live was written from scratch, thus it is just not (yet) included). If Microsoft isn't going to develop its custom nickname feature further, it may (note: may) be possible that Patchou will eventually put it in Messenger Plus! Live once again, if possible...

In other words, for now, use Windows Live Messenger's own custom nickname feature. What you can't do with it is showing the contact's original name too (which was the power of the custom contact name feature in Plus! which is greatly missed by many).

Right click a contact > Add a nickname
or
Right click a contact > Edit Contact

This post was edited on 11-21-2006 at 02:07 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-21-2006 02:06 PM
kmcbest

I've finally accepted that "may", and I think even if this feature doesn't get back, it's OK to me, as the advantage to store my friends' nicks on M$'s server is clear.

By the way, any software other than MSN/WLM can get these nicks from M$'s server? I've tried Gaim, Kopete under Linux and none of them displays their nicknames (set by me of course)....
[Image: status2ftp]
11-22-2006 11:24 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by kmcbest
By the way, any software other than MSN/WLM can get these nicks from M$'s server? I've tried Gaim, Kopete under Linux and none of them displays their nicknames (set by me of course)....
If they are fully compatible with the new protocol WLM uses and they support all its features, then they should be able to retrieve them in the same way WLM retrieves them from the server.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-23-2006 01:18 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: