What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [SOLVED] How do I create a variable thing like (!VER)?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
[SOLVED] How do I create a variable thing like (!VER)?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: How do I create a variable thing like (!VER)?
quote:
Originally posted by markee
If you want it to be case insensitive then use gi rather than just g.

I do not recommend using the case insensitive flag. Reason for this is simple: to be consistant with Messenger Plus!.

Tags in Messenger Plus! like (!VER) are case sensitive, so it is better to have that same behaviour in your scripts (just like I would recommend commands to start with "/" and not "!", "^", "$", or whatever else)

There is of course no rule which states you can't use the case insesitive flag, but it should be considered as one of the guidelines in handling commands and tags...

See also CookieRevised's reply to [Release] Change Me!

quote:
Originally posted by Agret
Heh, i've gotten somewhat used to regular expressions although they vary in usage. UltraEdit and PHP have different regular expressions and now I'll have to learn the JavaScript ones :(

I think it's better to just look up a cheat sheet for regular expressions rather than try and learn them, it'll drive you insane trying to remember which one to use between which language / program.
There isn't a fundamental difference between all the variations.

They all work the same. What can be different is that some variations can do more than others (eg: not all variations support back tracking), etc. But the overall way of usage is the same. And that and the logic behind it can be learned.

Once you know how regular expressions work, it is only a very small step to adapt your syntax slightly to accomodate the syntax of the language you're working in.

As for a cheat sheet, that's why there are easy to use help files with a syntax overview of regular expressions :p ;)

In the JScript Documentation, see:
- Contents > JScript > JScript User's Guide > Introduction to Regular Expressions > Regular Expression Syntax
or
- Index > regular expressions > syntax

This post was edited on 12-01-2006 at 07:36 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-01-2006 07:35 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: