What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Running 64bit applicatons

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Running 64bit applicatons
Author: Message:
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
RE: Running 64bit applicatons
quote:
Originally posted by alegator

Yes, I just read it'll come in both 32 and 64bit versions. Problem is that most drivers today are written for 32bit.
companies will be made to make 64bit drivers for Vista & XP 64bit,
11-22-2006 03:11 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
alegator

O.P. RE: RE: Running 64bit applicatons
quote:
Originally posted by HSV
quote:
Originally posted by alegator

Yes, I just read it'll come in both 32 and 64bit versions. Problem is that most drivers today are written for 32bit.
companies will be made to make 64bit drivers for Vista & XP 64bit,

How long do you think it'll take for 64bit drivers and software to be commonplace?
11-22-2006 04:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Running 64bit applicatons
Before they are common on (almost) all PCs will take quite some time I think, since *the masses* don't buy a new PC that often. So 32bit will stay with us for quite some time from now.

You can, however, run your 32bit apps on a 64bit OS. So if you want to switch to 64bit, you won't have to buy/download/wait for 64bit versions of all your software and drivers. You can just use all of your 32bit apps and install a 64bit version every now and then as soon as it's stable enough for your needs.
11-22-2006 02:02 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
alegator

O.P. RE: RE: Running 64bit applicatons
quote:
Originally posted by JesusYou can, however, run your 32bit apps on a 64bit OS. So if you want to switch to 64bit, you won't have to buy/download/wait for 64bit versions of all your software and drivers. You can just use all of your 32bit apps and install a 64bit version every now and then as soon as it's stable enough for your needs.

Problem is that without the 64bit drivers, eventhough most 32bit software can run on a 64bit OS, I won't be able to use any hardware (burner, scanner, printer, etc). So I'd better wait for the drivers to come out for full compatibility before switching to 64bit.
My other option is to switch to a Mac, which is 64bit and its OS is way more advanced than Windows.
11-22-2006 08:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: