What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » scan receiving files

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
scan receiving files
Author: Message:
ins4ne
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. scan receiving files
Ok guys. I have this one question for you. I DO hate microsoft and that's why i dont want that live safety shit on my pc. I have avira antivir as AV program on my pc. It's really good and fits my needs BUT i dont know how to scan my receiving files with. I searched on google and found something that seemed working. There was a guy who wanted the same as me and another guy that told him to use the avscan.exe.

I entered C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avscan.exe

Ok so far i thought it would work. Then i got a file and after receiving i got an error message: INVALID PARAMETER blahblah.

Then i went back to that page to find out why i get that message. I read that the guy nr1 had the same problem and guy nr2 told him to add %1 after the path.

So i entered C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avscan.exe %1 and it still doesnt work...

I searched now for 2+ hours and found nothing :(

Am i stupid? can anyone help me?

I know nobody uses that AV but could you please search for me?

If i search more i will be frustrated again :S

I would be very glad if i could have some help from you :)

Thanks in advance guys.
[Image: b5c5bb366c94ba43283cc13901380e3e.png]
11-25-2006 12:29 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
RE: scan receiving files
I'm pretty sure that it was %f
11-25-2006 05:13 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
I'm pretty sure that it was %f
If this is correct than it makes little sense and MS needs a slap :p...

I mean, parameters in Windows (and DOS) batch processing and registry settings always have been %1, %2, %3, etc... It makes no sense that Windows Live Messenger uses %f.

But the %1, %2, etc have got nothing todo with what program you use. Those parameters are something from Windows/DOS itself. It is Windows/DOS which replaces them with the parameter you entered on the command line. Those indentifiers are placeholders for parameters inside batch jobs.

Program specific parameters (in Windows/DOS) useually are in the form of:
c:\programname.exe /para1 /para2
or
c:\programname.exe -para1 -para2

Anyways (too much rambling from my part here, I must stop this :D),

quote:
Originally posted by ins4ne
I entered C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avscan.exe

Ok so far i thought it would work. Then i got a file and after receiving i got an error message: INVALID PARAMETER blahblah.
It either means Windows can't start the program C:\Program with parameters Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avscan.exe (because you didn't used quotes!), or it means that your antivirus software expects a specific parameter and not just a file name. Though the later is most likely the case, seeing the few words of that error message (always try to quote the full error messages exactly as they are shown).

quote:
Originally posted by ins4ne
Then i went back to that page to find out why i get that message. I read that the guy nr1 had the same problem and guy nr2 told him to add %1 after the path.
Guy number 2 is certainly wrong IF he said it in context to Windows Live Messenger!

If he said it in context to another program then remember that not all tools are the same and thus command lines you enter in a program might be different.

eg: some replace %1 with the filename (like FireFox), some use %f to be replaced with a filename (like WinRar; possibly what aNILEator is confusing things with), some simply concats the filename, others use other tags as placeholder like %file%, etc, etc.

All those are nothing more than tags used by the host programs where you enter the command line in.

Windows Live Messenger does not replace any tags like %1 or %f with the filename, it simply concats the filename (enclosed in quotes) to the command line you've entered.

And as far as my 1 minute search goes (simply search on avscan.exe), the relevant parameters for that virusscanner can be like this:

* If you want the scanner window to always remain open after scanning a downloaded file:

Code:
    /GUIMODE=1 /PATH="path to file"

* If you want the scanner window to automatically close after scanning a downloaded file:

Code:
    /GUIMODE=2 /PATH="path to file"

So, try:
"C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avscan.exe" /GUIMODE=2 /PATH=

Also you could try this for a scan in DOS GUI:
"C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avcmd.exe" -z -noboot -nombr –allfiles
(note: but put a space after -allfiles)

-----

To know more possible parameters check your help files, or type /? as parameter on the command line in a DOS box.

This post was edited on 11-26-2006 at 01:27 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-26-2006 01:26 AM
ins4ne
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: scan receiving files
WOW long post! But now im a lot cleverer :cheesy:. I didnt use quotes, maybe thats the problem... Who knows. I just had a look and the quotes are automatically added by WLM. I will have a little search myself to know all possible parameters.
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Guy number 2 is certainly wrong IF he said it in context to Windows Live Messenger!
I'm not sure for what program he wrote it. He said MSNM but i saw the date and it was the 22/23.11.06 (something like that), so i thought it was for WLM bacause many people tell it MSNM.

OK man, i will have a try now :) thank you Cookie

Edit: typo here and there...

Update: I took a screenshot from the error popup that came after receiving a file

[Image: attachment.php?pid=757442]

Update2:
quote:
Also you could try this for a scan in DOS GUI:
"C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avcmd.exe" -z -noboot -nombr –allfiles
works perfect :D

.png File Attachment: error.PNG (5.08 KB)
This file has been downloaded 680 time(s).

This post was edited on 11-26-2006 at 10:48 AM by ins4ne.
11-26-2006 09:23 AM
DragonQ

This is not documented at all, but I did discover that the correct command line parameters are:

"C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avscan.exe /GUIMODE=2 /PATH="C:\File.exe"

If GUIMODE is set to 1, the full window will appear for each scan. If GUIMODE is set to 2, a smaller window will appear, and will disappear when the scan is finished.

I haven't been able to test it yet, but I assume for WLM, you must use:

"C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avscan.exe /GUIMODE=2 /PATH="%1"

but I'm not 100% sure. Test it yourself :)
12-10-2006 03:24 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ins4ne
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Ok thanks. I'll try it. Maybe it works. I use Cookies DOS GUI atm.

Edit: Well tried now and doesn't work. I will stick with Cookies version. That works good. But i always need to close the window myself 8-).

This post was edited on 12-10-2006 at 01:25 PM by ins4ne.
12-10-2006 01:07 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: scan receiving files
quote:
Originally posted by DragonQ
This is not documented at all, but I did discover that the correct command line parameters are:

"C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avscan.exe /GUIMODE=2 /PATH="C:\File.exe"

If GUIMODE is set to 1, the full window will appear for each scan. If GUIMODE is set to 2, a smaller window will appear, and will disappear when the scan is finished.

I haven't been able to test it yet, but I assume for WLM, you must use:

"C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avscan.exe /GUIMODE=2 /PATH="%1"

but I'm not 100% sure. Test it yourself :)

ermmm... that is _exactly_ what I've said in my previous post (with the only difference that you screwed up the quotes :p).

But the %1 thing is NOT correct. Which I also already explained in my previous post why...

This post was edited on 12-11-2006 at 04:57 AM by CookieRevised.
12-11-2006 02:13 AM
ins4ne
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
So Cookie, I read you posts now for the 5000th time and I only get the DOS GUI working. But it starts to annoy me because I have to close it everytime on my own. Sometimes I forget i have that AV scan and then I 'don't get the contacts file' because it stops at 100% and the DOS waits for me to hit enter 8-).
12-11-2006 10:29 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Aren't there any other command line parameters you can use (eg: only pause the program when an actual virus is found). I don't have this anti-virus myself so you need to check this yourself.
quote:
To know more possible parameters check your help files, or type /? as parameter on the command line in a DOS box.

Or if you mean you need to close the actual DOS box manually, that's a setting in Windows itself and has little to nothing to do with this virusscanner.

In that case go to the properties of the DOS box, somewhere in there there is an option to "Close DOS box after quiting the program" or something along those lines.

--------

PS: Though, the windows version should work though (according to the online documentation). Normally you shouldn't get an invalid parameter error since all the parameters are correct, IF you've entered it correctly (the things in bold, and paying attention to the quotes and stuff).

This post was edited on 12-11-2006 at 11:52 AM by CookieRevised.
12-11-2006 11:44 AM
ins4ne
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
So you mean next time I get a file and the DOS box pops up I look for that option to automatically close it? Or is there that option in cmd?
12-11-2006 11:57 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: