What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Other users registry

Other users registry
Author: Message:
YottabyteWizard

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. Other users registry
Is there a way to change other users registry without actually having to log into them?

Thanks.
11-26-2006 07:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

RE: Other users registry
Sure -- you can find each of them under HKEY_USERS\<account SID>, so all you need to know is the SID.

One place you can go to match up the SIDs and accounts is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList -- although it doesn't contain account names directly, the ProfileImagePath entries there do unless the account has been renamed, and that should suffice.
11-27-2006 02:08 AM
YottabyteWizard

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Other users registry
Thanks! :D
11-27-2006 03:59 AM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
I always have to go to File > Load Hive, then select the user's NTUSER.DAT file before I can access their registry. :-/
11-27-2006 04:59 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I always have to go to File > Load Hive, then select the user's NTUSER.DAT file before I can access their registry.
Thank you for pointing out my oversight.  That will be necessary if no processes are currently running under the user account in question.  If there are (a service account or fast user switching with the user logged on) the hive will be already loaded.

The exact steps for loading the hive are:

1) Select (highlight) HKEY_USERS in regedit.exe.  If you don't, the menu item for the next step will be disabled.

2) Use File -> Load Hive from the menu, navigate to NTUSER.DAT under the user's profile (presumably under C:\Documents and Settings\ folder).

3) You will be asked for a name to add the hive under -- it can be anything you like and will appear under HKEY_USERS.  I suggest the account name.

4) After you make your changes, select the loaded hive and use File -> Unload Hive.   That will insure your chages are saved.

If you attempt to load a hive already loaded, you will receive a message to the effect of the file being in use by another process.  In that case, you should proceed with the instructions I originally provided.
11-27-2006 06:45 AM
sljaxon

I want more, I want Messenger Plus.

– / Male / –
You can also change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to edit for all users. It's usually what I do :D.
Sam
One hoopy frood :D

[Image: theextraordinarymedleypyx9.png]
11-28-2006 01:14 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by sljaxon
You can also change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to edit for all users. It's usually what I do :D.
Not all keys exist in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE too. And in some software or cases the CURRENT_USER also overrides what is in LOCAL_MACHINE.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-28-2006 11:30 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: