What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Best Linux distro for a low end machine

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Best Linux distro for a low end machine
Author: Message:
Woraug

A Credit to Dementia

36 / Male / –
O.P. Best Linux distro for a low end machine
A friend gave me an old laptop of his, and I wanna throw Linux on it, but the problem is, it's pretty low end.  300mhz proc, 196mb RAM, 5gb HD.  It originally had Win 2k on it.  I'm looking for something that will run smoothly on it.  I've got Xubuntu on it right now, but it's not pleasing me so far.  I tried a Knoppix livecd on it, and it ran pretty smooth, but people tell me to not use it installed because of a lack of updates or security upgrades and such.  I was suggested Kanotix for this, because of it's similarity to Knoppix, but I have yet to try because of lack of time.  Any words of wisdom?
[Image: Sentinel.png]
12-02-2006 07:38 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Best Linux distro for a low end machine
I recommend Gentoo Linux, it's my favourite distro :)
The advantage it has over other distros is that the default package comes with (almost) nothing, so you can choose the software you do want and leave the software you don't want out of it.
It takes some time to get it all right, but once you have installed everything you'll have a system which is totally adapted to your hardware and to your software needs.
If you're stuck at a problem, there's no need to worry. The Gentoo Support Forums are said to be one of the best in the world. When I still had Gentoo, I never had a problem that couldn't be solved with their help.
12-02-2006 11:10 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
FREEBSD might work?.. dunno go to http://distrowatch.com/ an have a browse through them but i couldnt recommend high end Graphical ones Arch Linux Might work to with the small window managers

This post was edited on 12-02-2006 at 12:51 PM by Hank.
12-02-2006 12:39 PM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
I've tried running Linux on lower end PCs, and it wasn't too much fun. If you tried Xubuntu and didn't like it, that means you don't like the XFCE window manager - I think it's alright, but it's by far and away the most lightweight of the three main ones (KDE, GNOME being the other two).

Knoppix uses KDE as the front-end. If you want to try KDE with ubuntu, try getting Kubuntu. Personally, I wouldn't run newer versions of KDE on anything less than 256MB of RAM, but it's worth a shot.

If you can find it, and older version of RedHat 8/9 might be worth looking into.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
12-02-2006 03:40 PM
Adeptus

You can try Slackware.  I haven't used it in the last few years, but unless the install process has radically changed, it makes it very easy to install a minimal system.

The problem with Gentoo is that, while the result might be great, the installation process is both complicated and likely to take days on a slow machine -- because almost everything is compiled from source as you install it.

No matter what distribution you use, you probably should avoid installing either Gnome or KDE and use some lightweight window manager instead. 
12-02-2006 04:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
The problem with Gentoo is that, while the result might be great, the installation process is both complicated and likely to take days on a slow machine -- because almost everything is compiled from source as you install it.

I seem to remember a somewhat annoyed Adeptus after they pushed a glibc update.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
12-02-2006 04:07 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Best Linux distro for a low end machine
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
partially true. The extra software you want to install on it will have to be compiled on your machine.
The installation of the OS itself however has changed: Stage 1 and 2 are obsolete now, so you don't need to bootstrap and stuff like that anymore, making the installation a lot faster and easier. Also, easier installation procedures are developed so it should be just as easy as any other distro to install.
It will indeed take some time, but not as long as it used to take with the stage 1 and 2 tarballs.

quote:
No matter what distribution you use, you probably should avoid installing either Gnome or KDE and use some lightweight window manager instead. 

At this point I totally agree with you. There are enough desktop environments which use far less resources than those 2 you mentioned.
I'd say try Enlightenment and XFCE (though you didn't seem to like it that much, maybe it needs some fine-tuning for that), or search a bit for yourself, because I don't know whether new ones were released recently.
12-02-2006 08:06 PM
Woraug

A Credit to Dementia

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Best Linux distro for a low end machine
I don't know why, but I tried both KDE and Gnome on the machine, and they both seem to run MUCH smoother and faster than XFCE.  KDE seemed to be the best, running just about as smooth as Windows on my desktop.

@andrewdodd13

I thought about Redhat, but once again, just haven't had the time or the inclination to do it.  I remember trying it a while back on my last desktop, and was quite pleased with it.
[Image: Sentinel.png]
12-04-2006 08:01 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
A web-based distro-finder tool recomended SUSE (I don't know how the capitals should be) to me for my old computer. It also recomended some other distros, but listed as their disadvantages that my "computer may be too slow", while it didn't say that for SUSE.

I can't remember what/where the finder tool was/is.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
12-06-2006 10:00 AM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
Just a further point about RH, don't go with Fedora past say v2. After that it becomes really bloated.

I can't actually get FC5 to run on this machine but I think that's a USB Card-Drive incompatibility (I had to disable it to install Debian / Ubuntu as it causes the partitioner to stop responding from the constant disk there / disk not there). FC4 was quite bloated, I stopped using it.

I don't know why XFCE isn't working for you. You may need the proprietary drivers for your graphics card to be installed to get the full effect, but I doubt that matters much.

A further to Gentoo, I wouldn't fancy having to install / update on that system. The main point about Gentoo is that everything is compiled from source by emerge, so you have to recompile even for the most minor update.

If you're having real trouble, just stick with Windows 2000, I used to use that before XP and never really found much wrong with it.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
12-06-2006 04:39 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: