What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » A compiled list of the awfulness of WLM

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
A compiled list of the awfulness of WLM
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: A compiled list of the awfulness of WLM
Some of those listed 'bugs' can be explained logically and I doubt they are bugs at all...

Others I'm almost certain aren't bug at all...

Then there are so many 'random' things which amazingly you two experienced all (and no others of the vast amount of beta testers), I can't help feeling a bit erm... let's say '^o)'.....

I don't say you didn't see what you saw. But simply saying that for some things there are possible explainations and they are not bugs in WLM... Some others are, and I can of course be wrong, misinterpretations of what actually happens...

But again, I find it very strange that you got all the random, non-preduceable random bugs... I hope you've sent a report to MS each time though...

This post was edited on 12-07-2006 at 10:59 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-07-2006 10:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
DragonQ

O.P. RE: A compiled list of the awfulness of WLM
As I said, as any new bugs are encountered we're now taking screenshots, but as Uni exams are looming, we're using it less. Some are not strictly bugs in WLM, but as we were getting so shocked and annoyed with so many things going wrong in WLM, we made this list and any time anything went wrong in WLM, we added it regardless.
12-08-2006 03:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
RE: A compiled list of the awfulness of WLM
quote:
Originally posted by DragonQ
we made this list and any time anything went wrong in WLM, we added it regardless.

That's hardly fair.
[Image: jumbled.png]
12-08-2006 06:54 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
@Cookie

I think a few things described on the list aren't really bugs, but in a way, ill coded features, i.e. they haven't took everything into account. Modern programming isn't about making a program that does the task you want, it is about doing the task you want as easy, fast and user-friendly as possible. Take the file transfer feature, there is a never ending list of how it can be improved, even simple tweaks like organising your received files can make a huge impact.

The problem Messenger will always have is that is relies on the Internet. Servers can go down or behave improbably for many reasons, and when they do, the whole program itself can start acting funny. This of course can't be helped, but could be improved, e.g. the way Messengers handles failed messages. A small option could be 'resend' message. This is a simple, but could make all the difference to a frustrated user.
12-08-2006 08:51 PM
DragonQ

quote:
That's hardly fair.

Why? If something doesn't work as it's meant to, it's a bug. Simple as that. Some are not bugs in WLM, but are perhaps bugs in the way WLM interacts with other programs - almost all of which are made by Microsoft (Windows, Office etc.) you'll notice. Thus, there is no excuse for these bugs, and the fact that WLM is "final" is ridiculous IMO.
12-08-2006 09:27 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
@absorbation: I'm not talking about the things which could be 'improved'. I'm talking about things which aren't bugs in WLM at all...

eg: 1) There is no “Do you wish to overwrite the existing file?” message when using Save Target As… to receive a file.

I'm not talking about things like that ^^. Everybody knows this isn't a bug at all, but just a thing by-design, not implemented yet.

@DragonQ: "Why? If something doesn't work as it's meant to, it's a bug". Not if it was not designed that way. If something does not what you think it should do, doesn't mean it is a bug.

Again, many stuff you listed, DragonQ, are not bugs at all, and even maybe some stuff didn't happened at all (refering to the so many random bugs which you all experienced but no other tester did; so either all those didn't happen at all, where misinterpreted or you are a hell of a beta tester. Personally I highly doubt you got all those 'bugs' with just quickly going thru the program, as you've said... sorry)

eg: 6) Handwriting just doesn’t appear most of the time for no reason.

Or this means your contact doesn't have handwriting capebilities (in this case WLM is acting in the proper way), or it means your Ink drivers aren't installed properly or another program is interfearing with it (in this case WLM can't do anything about it, it isn't an OS).

eg: 9) It is called WINDOWS LIVE! Messenger. Worst. Name. Ever.

Not only is this just a personal preference, it is also called "Windows Live" for a perfect valid reason, which is explained already many times in other threads, and explained in extreme detail on MS' own pages.

eg: 25) WLM sometimes just doesn’t change your status when you’re idle after the 5 minute timeout has elapsed.

This isn't a bug at all and only depends on the status of your computer. It are other processes, processes which you even don't know about, which dictate if a computer is in idle status or not (it can even be a wake-up-on-lan bios setting). If Messenger doesn't get this idle state, it doesn't go to idle.

eg: etc...

This post was edited on 12-08-2006 at 10:46 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-08-2006 10:36 PM
DragonQ

quote:
Again, many stuff you listed, DragonQ, are not bugs at all, and even maybe some stuff didn't happened at all (refering to the so many random bugs which you all experienced but no other tester did; so either all those didn't happen at all, where misinterpreted or you are a hell of a beta tester. Personally I highly doubt you got all those 'bugs' with just quickly going thru the program, as you've said... sorry)

Quickly going through it? This was over at least a month's worth of use...and also, they did all happen, you'll have to trust me on that. I'd give more info on my system if I could be bothered, but I don't think anything in particular would cause a large number of these bugs to happen specifically on our machines.

quote:
Or this means your contact doesn't have handwriting capebilities (in this case WLM is acting in the proper way), or it means your Ink drivers aren't installed properly or another program is interfearing with it (in this case WLM can't do anything about it, it isn't an OS).

Ink drivers? All we have done is install the program. And the fact that it works sometimes and not other times is peculiar in itself. The main problem here with WLM is that THERE IS NO ERROR MESSAGE, so we have no idea what's going on - it just appears to ignore handwriting requests for no reason.

quote:
eg: 9) It is called WINDOWS LIVE! Messenger. Worst. Name. Ever.

Not only is this just a personal preference, it is also called "Windows Live" for a perfect valid reason, which is explained already many times in other threads, and explained in extreme detail on MS' own pages.

Yes, it is a personal reference. Sorry, this whole "Live" thing just shows MS has more time on their hands than they should...

quote:
eg: 25) WLM sometimes just doesn’t change your status when you’re idle after the 5 minute timeout has elapsed.

This isn't a bug at all and only depends on the status of your computer. It are other processes, processes which you even don't know about, which dictate if a computer is in idle status or not (it can even be a wake-up-on-lan bios setting). If Messenger doesn't get this idle state, it doesn't go to idle.

I guess so.
12-09-2006 07:19 PM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
make a better im program that works in a great array of different computers and then we'll talk...
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
12-10-2006 02:01 AM
Kenji
Veteran Member

Previously: Dazmatic, Dazzy, :zippy:

32 / Male / Flag
You complain to much :sad:
12-10-2006 02:05 AM
DragonQ

quote:
make a better im program that works in a great array of different computers and then we'll talk...

I don't have to...MSN Messenger already exists. The majority of these problems did not exist before WLM.
12-10-2006 02:09 AM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: