What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » can WLM detect pirated copies of Windows?

can WLM detect pirated copies of Windows?
Author: Message:
y2ho

O.P. can WLM detect pirated copies of Windows?
hi everyone,

my friend uses WLM 8.1 on his pirated copy of windows XP, it was working fine for a while, but now WLM allows the user to sign in, but does not allow the user to open conversation windows with people, giving an error message saying that it cant open a converstion with "username", try again.
i tired this on another computer which has a pirated copy of windows, and the same thing happens...... it got me thinking that WLM can detect pirated copies of windows, and does not allow these users to use WLM fully.... can anyone confirm if this is true or not?

i ask this because previous versions of msn used to work on the computer and i tried the original windows messenger just a few minutes ago, and that worked fine.

many thanks,

y2ho.

This post was edited on 09-20-2007 at 01:16 PM by y2ho.
09-20-2007 01:06 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
artfuldodga

RE: can WLM detect pirated copies of Windows?
Addons for Windows Live Messenger can cause this problem, such as Animated Emoticon Packs offered on various websites, seems if a specific process is loaded it can interfere with Messenger, also if you have low memory available it can also cause this error.

recommend uninstalling any addons / packs or freeing up memory.
09-20-2007 01:51 PM
y2ho

O.P. RE: can WLM detect pirated copies of Windows?
i have no addons and i have already freed up memory (hard disk space and disk cleanup) on the computer, yet it still doesnt work, and gives the same error message.....i tend to think WLM has a detection system as it registers the product on installation..... hmmm, what to do?

This post was edited on 09-21-2007 at 09:35 AM by y2ho.
09-21-2007 09:31 AM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
If WLM was going to check if you had a pirated copy of Windows, then it'd cause WGA or WPA to pop up and nag - cause that's the way Microsoft do things. :P

My guess would be that there's something gone wrong with his installation of WLM or that his WLM registry / profiles have become corrupt.

I remember I used to have this problem on an older version of MSN however I cannot recall what caused it, sorry.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
09-21-2007 09:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
lol, that WLM error and the fact that Windows is pirated are not related. Even if they are, it is certainly not intentional. When Windows blocks features in the pirated versions, it always explain the reason up front. As a serious company, they wouldn't just intentionally create some random misleading "try again" error message. :P
No, I didn't search before
posting. Don't bother asking.
09-21-2007 10:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
y2ho

O.P. RE: can WLM detect pirated copies of Windows?
hmmm i see, what made me come to this conclusion is that it happened on 2 computers which have pirated copies of windows, on which WLM USED to work on.....hmmm, my solution to this is to just reformat everything and start from scratch, because these computers have not been looked after very well, lol, they are in crap condition....
09-22-2007 08:41 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: