What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Contact list cleanup info lost

Contact list cleanup info lost
Author: Message:
KalliK

O.P. Contact list cleanup info lost
Hi everybody,

I've been using plus now for a long time, and I just installed the Windows Live Messenger along with an upgrade of Messenger Plus.

I've been saving my logs for a couple of years and have events in each folder that follow.  My problem is that now that I upgraded, the contact list cleanup list has cleared and my most recent chat is today. 

I tryed going through all my events and copy/pasting them into a single events file and setting it as my settings file, but no luck. My contact list cleanup window is still useless.

I figured since I have all the events for a couple of years Messenger Plus would read the file and be able to use it to figure out this information but it doesnt. Is there another file that the "contact list cleanup" reads for this information? And if there is (which I assume), is it possible to find it from the older version of Plus?

Thanks,

Kalli K
12-15-2006 10:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MattyRid
Veteran Member

Red Bull Racing Australia

– / Male / Flag
RE: Contact list cleanup info lost
Contact List Clean-up goes based on Tools->Options->Privacy-> Click On "view" under Contact lists.

So really any files regarding contact clean-ups from older version's of plus! basically are now irrelevant.

Also because of this...it takes a few days to sort itself out ;)
Red Bull Racing Australia - Triple Eight Race Engineering - Holden
12-15-2006 10:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
KalliK

O.P. RE: Contact list cleanup info lost
That really makes no sense to me.  I thought that this "view" button only showed me who added me to their contact list.  Does this area have any information about when they sign in or chat to me?

I thought Plus made a log of the activities it sees and worked out from that when a contact was last seen, talked to or how much.  It made sense to me that it used the event logger log to do that.

I have upgraded before and this log kept in just fine, but this time it didn't.

Is there no way to get the old information back or to change the "contact list clean-up".

Thanks,

Kalli K
12-16-2006 01:23 PM
MattyRid
Veteran Member

Red Bull Racing Australia

– / Male / Flag
RE: Contact list cleanup info lost
What I mean is.....

First, see the "Has you" column in your contact list clean up? well that goes based on what I said eariler.

Secondly, these other stats are logged differently in Messenger Plus! Live as it stores the "Last chat' and other columns in different places....possibly even in the windows registry.

As to using old information...Not really the best thing when your dealing with Windows Live Messenger which has been recoded on various aspects and Messenger Plus! Live has been recoded from scratch. So really any old Plus! 3 Contact Clean-up logs really become irrelevant.

Also If you remember when you first when into that feature for the first time in Messenger Plus! Live, you would have found a notification saying that it takes a few day to sort itself out...well the reasons stated above, would be logical explanations to it
Red Bull Racing Australia - Triple Eight Race Engineering - Holden
12-16-2006 07:58 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
KalliK

O.P. RE: Contact list cleanup info lost
So, basically you have no idea where this information is stored and have no idea if its possible or not to transfer years of usage of this feature to the new live version. 

I seriously, seriously doubt that this information is stored in the registry, and the "has you" has really nothing to do with my request to start with.  The comment about it being stored "in different places, possibly in the registry" really does not help me at all, actually more misleading than anything else.

About the Messenger Plus! being recoded from scratch, I can understand that but I figured it should be able to keep the information that I've been collecting for years now. 

I figure that you mean well but Im not so sure you really know what you are talking about and would very much like to hear a second opinion on the matter, hopefully there is a way to keep years of collecting this information in the Messenger.  Possibly if I uninstalled Windows Live and reinstalled msn 7.5 along with the old plus it would find the information...

If anyone has any idea on this matter, please let me know,

Thank you though for your comments MattyRid, all help is appreciated.

Karl
12-16-2006 08:48 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: