What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Gates says DRM has 'huge problems'

Gates says DRM has 'huge problems'
Author: Message:
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
O.P. Gates says DRM has 'huge problems'
Any thoughts on this? Gatees says DRM Has Huge Issues will this stop you from buying vista or Pirating it?
12-18-2006 08:48 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Funness

35 / Male / –
RE: Gates says DRM has 'huge problems'
Why would this stop me from buying and or pirating vista? How does Vista tie into DRM of music?

Personally, I agree.. DRM will not stop those darn pirates. Just look at Napster's DRM, which was cracked a month or so back.
[Image: kingofpants.png]
                                        funness.net
12-18-2006 01:37 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
I pirate a lot of stuff, but the OS is usually something I get legally. The problem with Vista for me is that you can't install it on more than one computer (if someone can proove me wrong I would be extremely happy). This means I won't get Vista before I get a new PC.
I don't know what the deal with DRM in Vista is, so I won't comment on that, but I doubt it will stop me from getting Vista
[Image: signature.php]
12-18-2006 01:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
The problem with Vista for me is that you can't install it on more than one computer
I haven't looked into it... but maybe you cannot transfer your OEM license to another PC, and maybe you cannot use a normal license on more than one computer at once, but there definitely shouldn't be any reason why you cannot transfer a retail license to a new PC when you want to switch computers.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
12-18-2006 01:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Gates says DRM has 'huge problems'
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
The problem with Vista for me is that you can't install it on more than one computer
I haven't looked into it... but maybe you cannot transfer your OEM license to another PC, and maybe you cannot use a normal license on more than one computer at once, but there definitely shouldn't be any reason why you cannot transfer a retail license to a new PC when you want to switch computers.

There has been a lot of talk about the number of installs that Vista has.  I am unsure of what the latest is on it but it did start off at only allowing you 10 installs before you would have to get a new copy of Vista but I'm quite sure that is changed now (I'm still unsure if there is a limit or not).  This would have an effect on being able to install an what MenthiX said sounds like a good idea too (but would require a huge database to check against on every install of Vista :S).  I really doubt that anyone can stop pirating completely, all they will do is prolong it and with the stability of XP there really isn't any point of updating to Vista right now if you are one of the pirating type.
[Image: markee.png]
12-18-2006 02:28 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
xJ +

A$$ple/Buttple xD

117 / Other / Flag
I won't really consider about buy Windows Vista till Microsoft makes Vista real stable, though it might take forever to do so.
I, myself, to be honest, don't pirate any programs and I dislike doing so. But I've got no choice, I can't afford everything original, can I? It's similar to throwing away your $$$ into the sea when you buy original becuase, as and when, there will be a newer version, and you still have to buy it. So what for getting a genuine one when programmers have already "cracked" the program and release it publicly; making it "genuine".
My point is that, sooner or later, someone or something will definitely bypass whatever there's to bypass.
However, I still won't consider buying or pirating Vista. In my opinion, it's a waste of time of getting and upgrading to Vista. XP is still, in my opinion, the preferable choice between the two OS.
12-18-2006 05:24 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: