What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [Release] OldPlugins 0.8

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
[Release] OldPlugins 0.8
Author: Message:
J-Thread

– / Male / –
O.P. [Release] OldPlugins 0.8
Visit the script in the scrips database

Post all your comments / bugs / feature requests etc about the script in this thread. I will post a longer description tomorrow.

Download plugins in the old plugins database.

This post was edited on 12-21-2006 at 10:31 AM by J-Thread.
12-20-2006 09:30 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
alexp2_ad
Scripting Contest Winner

Who love the chocolate?

36 / Male / –
RE: [Release] OldPlugins 0.8
Hmm, I see the examples of what it doesn't support, but can you give a couple of examples of old plugins that do work perfectly?
12-20-2006 09:55 PM
J-Thread

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: [Release] OldPlugins 0.8
- Reverse Plugin
- Music Logger Plus
- Sample in C (not usefull, but it does work :P)

I've mainly tested the ones that didn't work to get it right, so maybe other people can add plugins to the list? You can try the plugins you like, in the worse case it crashes messenger (for example NickChange plugin does it) but if you did not set it to AutoStart the plugin will not start another time.

12-20-2006 10:02 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
At first sight there are things which aren't done correctly in this script regarding plugins though.

----------

Also the parsing of commands isn't entirly correct. The parsing of tags is also not done like in Plus! 3.

----------

Plugins were/are user specific, this isn't so in your script, hence handling isn't done properly. Also the time when they load/unload isn't correct (it is different then with scripts which are always loaded, even if the user hasn't sign in yet), etc.

----------

from the script DB:
- Changing the display name through the script
- Adding data to the event log
- Displaying popup notifications

^^ these things are done within the plugins themselfs by broadcasting a message. I suspect you mean by this that your dll catch these broadcasts? In that case they will probably be processed twice since Plus!Live also still support these.

----------

It also doesn't load any of the plugins I have in Plus! 3.

----------

Script is starting
Script is now loaded and ready
Function called: OnEvent_Initialize
Interop.Call failed to load "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\Plus! Live\Scripts\OldPlugins\OldPlugins.dll"
Interop.Call failed to load "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\Plus! Live\Scripts\OldPlugins\OldPlugins.dll"
Error: unknown.
       Line: 488. Code: -2147467259.
Function OnEvent_Initialize returned an error. Code: -2147352567
Function called: OnEvent_Uninitialize
Error: unknown.
       Line: 56. Code: -2147467259.
Function OnEvent_Uninitialize returned an error. Code: -2147352567
etc...

----------

Other than this, the code itself is messy and things aren't always done in the cleanest way (eg: some routines which are very slow and long, which can be made way shorter and faster... the registry APIs which aren't used as one should... etc...)

----------

Sorry to write such a negative post about it :(:$ (which you surely didn't expected) but it is buggy as hell and a lot of things aren't done properly or not properly researched maybe (eg: how commands and tags were exactly handled in Plus!3 and what possebilities you had with them, what they could/couldn't contain as far as characters go, etc).

a lot of stuff need to be fixed...

This post was edited on 12-20-2006 at 11:30 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-20-2006 11:03 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
J-Thread

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: [Release] OldPlugins 0.8
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Also the parsing of commands isn't entirly correct. The parsing of tags is also not done like in Plus! 3.

What's wrong with that? It just splits out the command and the parameters, I wouldn't know what else plus does?

quote:
Plugins were/are user specific, this isn't so in your script, hence handling isn't done properly.
I thought about that one, but because Scripts are not user specific anymore, I decided to make the plugins that way too. I know that the email of the user isn't passed, and the initialize function is not called when a user signs in. That's still on the todo list.

quote:
^^ these things are done within the plugins themselfs by broadcasting a message.
I know that Plus! does it, so I do not catch the messages at all. I just added it to the list because it works, and people might not know that plus still listens to those messages (I honestly wonder why it does that, because in scripts there is another way to do it...).

quote:

That the big problem with this release, and that's why I gave it a version number less then 1.0. It is just not done yet so things are missing. Patchou once stated that only 10% of the plugins uses the MessengerAPI, so that would mean that 90% of the plugins should work with my script. I am quite sure that that there are much more scripts that use it.

quote:
Other than this, the code itself is messy and things aren't always done in the cleanest way (eg: some routines which are very slow and long, which can be made way shorter and faster... the registry APIs which aren't used as one should... etc...)
Which ones? I know that I am using the RegQueryValueExW function although it would not be needed, but I use that because I am enumerating value's there and have an open key, so there's no need to open the key again (what the WScript.Shell object would do). I know my routines are long sometimes, but am not aware of them being slow, and I would know where and what I could improve. Any help is appreciated;)

quote:
Sorry to write such a negative post about it :(:$ (which you surely didn't expected)
No problem, negative feedback is MUCH better then positive feedback. I am a perfectionist so I like to get better and better. I think I can state that I am a good programmer, but I just don't have much experience JScript neither with C++ (what the plugin is written in). I think I already did a very good job by actually writing a C++ dll that can load the C++ plugins as well as the COM plugins without causing memory leaks etc (at least, I hope it doesn't*-)). I also succeeded in UNICODE - ANSI conversion etc:).

In conclusion, I know this script is still buggy (although I thought that it should work, and give no errors with loading the dll:S) but I could choose between not submitting this script for the contest at all, or submit this (partially working) version. Obviously, I did the latter. I will continue development, and I hope that the script will work as expected soon! But for now, I still think it can be usefull, because there are also quite a few things that do actually work!

This post was edited on 12-21-2006 at 10:33 AM by J-Thread.
12-21-2006 10:31 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: [Release] OldPlugins 0.8
quote:
Originally posted by J-Thread
quote:

What's wrong with that? It just splits out the command and the parameters, I wouldn't know what else plus does?
the problem is that the parsing isn't done properly. Certain commands and tags will not be parsed by your script. For example tags don't only include characters [a-z1-9], they can contain a lot more characters

quote:
quote:
Plugins were/are user specific, this isn't so in your script, hence handling isn't done properly.
I thought about that one, but because Scripts are not user specific anymore, I decided to make the plugins that way too.
Because plugins are user specific, you must parse/handle them user specific otherwise many will not work properly. The same goes for the time when they are loaded. They should only load when the user has signed in, etc. With this script you break many things, including compatibility, as it is now.

I suggest you make a very basic plugin containing all possible functions that plugins can have and which in each function is a message box which informs you what has been parsed. In that way you can/will see when exactly initialize, uninitialize, etc should be called. It's way different then with script and it should stay the same, otherwise many plugins will not function properly since they are specifically designed with that in mind.

quote:
quote:
^^ these things are done within the plugins themselfs by broadcasting a message.
I know that Plus! does it, so I do not catch the messages at all. I just added it to the list because it works, and people might not know that plus still listens to those messages (I honestly wonder why it does that, because in scripts there is another way to do it...).
I see, hmm, maybe word it a bit differently then. Anywhow, Plus! still supports it because of compatibily reasons.

quote:
quote:

That the big problem with this release, and that's why I gave it a version number less then 1.0. It is just not done yet so things are missing. Patchou once stated that only 10% of the plugins uses the MessengerAPI, so that would mean that 90% of the plugins should work with my script. I am quite sure that that there are much more scripts that use it.
This has got nothing todo with the Messenger API. No plugin is loaded at all, even not the simpliest one with only an initialize function in it and which does nothing for the rest.

quote:
quote:
Which ones? I know that I am using the RegQueryValueExW function although it would not be needed, but I use that because I am enumerating value's there and have an open key, so there's no need to open the key again (what the WScript.Shell object would do). I know my routines are long sometimes, but am not aware of them being slow, and I would know where and what I could improve. Any help is appreciated;)
for a specific example on the registry API, see the SendTo script. But that's only a specific example though. I would be glad to help out with this (script has big potential), but I don't have much time atm. And I would rewrite big chuncks of your script anyways, since that would be way easier for me than explaining every line or what could be better. Dunno if you want that, if so, let me know...

quote:
In conclusion, I know this script is still buggy (although I thought that it should work, and give no errors with loading the dll:S) but I could choose between not submitting this script for the contest at all, or submit this (partially working) version.
imho, I said this to some other people too, it is better to submit a working script (maybe not will all the features, but the rest should work flawlessly) than submitting a half-done bug riddled thing, which doesn't work at all.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-21-2006 11:34 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
P4R4D0x

Color Nick 2, would that work? [yes/no]
12-22-2006 01:06 PM
J-Thread

– / Male / –
Maybe you can test it yourselve?
12-22-2006 07:01 PM
sh0d0wn

hello
I have a question

where I have to put the dll???  in what folder????
because don't read them the srcipt the plugins

excuse my English is so bad

thank you
12-23-2006 09:49 PM
J-Thread

– / Male / –
Sorry I don't get the question :S. What dll? The dll included in the script should just be in the script's directory, where it will be placed when you install the script...

The plugins dll's should be in the messenger plus directory where they are supposed to be according to the messenger plus plugins documentation.
12-23-2006 10:11 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: