What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » installing half-life 2

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
installing half-life 2
Author: Message:
remember_987

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. installing half-life 2
I got Half-life 2 for Christmas and was wondering why I am required to download the game through steam because I am on dial-up and this will take approximately 6 days, what is the purpose in buying the disk if all i am getting is a nice shit account on steam?
[Image: 3userbarsax8.gif]
I made them all!
12-25-2006 09:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
RE: installing half-life 2
quote:
Originally posted by remember_987

I got Half-life 2 for Christmas and was wondering why I am required to download the game through steam because I am on dial-up and this will take approximately 6 days, what is the purpose in buying the disk if all i am getting is a nice shit account on steam?
One of the things are that you can  download the game later if you want too, and that some games require Steam to be installed. However why you have to download the whole game, is a bit stupid, so that I'd also like to know.

Maybe you can download it at a friends house, and he/she may burn it on a CD/DVD for you. :)
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
12-25-2006 10:01 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Oxy
Veteran Member

30 / Male / Flag
quote:

I agree with Nitro, that is a bit stupid ^o)
I'd send them a complaint, just saying that their streaming isn't suitable for your dail up conntection, and you'd like an alternative.
[Image: dotlukas.gif]
12-25-2006 10:09 PM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by .OxY
I'd send them a complaint, just saying that their streaming isn't suitable for your dail up conntection, and you'd like an alternative.

If its in the requirements it won't help...
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
12-25-2006 10:14 PM
Oxy
Veteran Member

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
Originally posted by .OxY

If its in the requirements it won't help...

Well, that may be true.. but if it is, just ask if they have an alternative. If they don't, it's not really worth bothering with.
[Image: dotlukas.gif]
12-25-2006 10:21 PM
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
Don't file a complaint. 8-)

Are you sure it's downloading the entire game? Are you sure it's just not updating the game? HL2 updates aren't exactly small so you may be SOL until you get a better line.
12-25-2006 10:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

Basically all the disk is doing is installing the base files of the earliest version of the game, so every time you want to reinstall it now, it'll need to download all of the downloads from when the game came out in 2004.

The updates that come out are always major, so the files aren't exactly small, so it'll take a few hours, even for people on 4mb broadband (like myself).

You'll have to set up the steam account too, so you'll never really need to put in the disk again other than to install the base files, your serial code will always be "imprinted" onto your Steam account, as with any other game that you purchase through steam.
12-26-2006 02:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
remember_987

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: installing half-life 2
hey all, thanks for the help I am sending in a complaint asking for an alternative to spending six days online straight (it can't hurt) and am considering going to my friends house to download if nothing turns up but wouldn't that take like multiple DVD's?

P.S. anyone know the e-mail for contacting steam?
[Image: 3userbarsax8.gif]
I made them all!
12-26-2006 03:13 PM
Kenji
Veteran Member

Previously: Dazmatic, Dazzy, :zippy:

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
hey all, thanks for the help I am sending in a complaint asking for an alternative to spending six days online straight (it can't hurt) and am considering going to my friends house to download if nothing turns up but wouldn't that take like multiple DVD's?

uhh... DVDs hold about 4GB or something...

Whats wrong with leaving you computer on for a few days downloading, i do it all the time..
12-26-2006 03:22 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:

Well the minimum specifications for having Half-Life 2/Counter-Strike : Source are something like a 256kb/s minimum. They won't take your email seriously, they want you to have the security fixes and updates.

Also, going to your friends to download it would make no difference, you wouldn't be able to play it at your house, you have to download it on your machine.

It's not going to take six days, pause the update for Counter-Strike: Source, then download Half-Life 2, then when playing that, download Counter-Strike: Source files. Also, i'm sure you have other stuff to do while it's downloading.

I'm not sure there is an email to contact Steam, sorry. But keep looking if you want to make a complete pleb out of yourself.

Some advice for the future, before buying a game, make sure your machine has all of the recommended (or minimum) specifications, otherwise you'll just get pissed off when you either, can't update it quickly or can't run it without lag. Half-Life 2 is also a game that cannot be returned to the shop, as the serial number can only be used on one account.

So basically, unless you're willing to download it at your house, you're fucked.

This post was edited on 12-26-2006 at 03:31 PM by user27089.
12-26-2006 03:28 PM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: