What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » installing half-life 2

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
installing half-life 2
Author: Message:
remember_987

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: installing half-life 2
quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy

Whats wrong with leaving you computer on for a few days downloading, i do it all the time..

the problem is my parents have to call people for work and stuff all the time and it is 6 DAYS it would be really inconvenient for my whole family.
[Image: 3userbarsax8.gif]
I made them all!
12-26-2006 03:30 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: installing half-life 2
quote:
Originally posted by remember_987
quote:

Whats wrong with leaving you computer on for a few days downloading, i do it all the time..

the problem is my parents have to call people for work and stuff all the time and it is 6 DAYS it would be really inconvenient for my whole family.

Please read my above post.
12-26-2006 03:31 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Kenji
Veteran Member

Previously: Dazmatic, Dazzy, :zippy:

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:

Oh yeah, i forgot about that, dial up sucks :-/
12-26-2006 03:32 PM
remember_987

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by traxor

Some advice for the future, before buying a game, make sure your machine has all of the recommended (or minimum) specifications, otherwise you'll just get pissed off when you either, can't update it quickly or can't run it without lag. Half-Life 2 is also a game that cannot be returned to the shop, as the serial number can only be used on one account.

there is absolutely no way that by me looking at the box I would know i was required to have any type of internet  connection at all there is no warning of note...nothing i even checked minimum system specs on the internet there was NOTHING telling me that I needed an internet connection.
I made them all!
12-26-2006 03:37 PM
Val

30 / Other / Flag
RE: RE: installing half-life 2
quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh yeah, i forgot about that, dial up sucks :-/

If you can afford Half-Life 2 and a PC that can play it proporly why can't you afford cable/dsl it can actually be cheaper than dail-up in some cases depending where you live.

[/off-topic]
Menthix:
Anonymous doesn\'t have a leader.
Anonymous is the leader of ShawnZ.

Max:
True. But deep down, we all know.
ShawnZ is incharge.
he is /b/ in human form.
12-26-2006 03:39 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
remember_987

31 / Male / Flag
I live in kinda in the "woods" and dial-up isnt even an option out here
I made them all!
12-26-2006 03:41 PM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
You don't have to leave your PC on for six days straight. The download will resume where you left off if you close Steam.

Or at least it appears to do that for me. I'm not certain that it doesn't download whole files at a time, and some of the files are rather large.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
12-26-2006 03:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
quote:

Some advice for the future, before buying a game, make sure your machine has all of the recommended (or minimum) specifications, otherwise you'll just get pissed off when you either, can't update it quickly or can't run it without lag. Half-Life 2 is also a game that cannot be returned to the shop, as the serial number can only be used on one account.

there is absolutely no way that by me looking at the box I would know i was required to have any type of internet  connection at all there is no warning of note...nothing i even checked minimum system specs on the internet there was NOTHING telling me that I needed an internet connection.

Not even this?

[Image: attachment.php?pid=769451]

Phillip, sorry I didn't realise.

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
You don't have to leave your PC on for six days straight. The download will resume where you left off if you close Steam.

Or at least it appears to do that for me. I'm not certain that it doesn't download whole files at a time, and some of the files are rather large.

You're right.

Also, where abouts do you live where you can't get a broadband internet connection? Africa?

Also:

http://www.steampowered.com/platform/update_history/Half-Life%202.html

Check out all of the updates.

and:

http://steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=game&AppId=220&cc=--

Read the minimum specs.

.jpg File Attachment: untitled.JPG (70.89 KB)
This file has been downloaded 360 time(s).

This post was edited on 12-26-2006 at 04:42 PM by user27089.
12-26-2006 04:40 PM
remember_987

31 / Male / Flag
paudash

edit: and traxor there is nothing on the box that says anything about connection and why are you so hellbent on proving me wrong?

This post was edited on 12-26-2006 at 05:01 PM by remember_987.
I made them all!
12-26-2006 04:45 PM
Dr4g0n

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Also, going to your friends to download it would make no difference, you wouldn't be able to play it at your house, you have to download it on your machine.
As Phillip said you can easily download the updates on a friends computer and then use the back-up game files once it completes.

quote:
It's not going to take six days, pause the update for Counter-Strike: Source, then download Half-Life 2, then when playing that, download Counter-Strike: Source files. Also, i'm sure you have other stuff to do while it's downloading.
Steam pauses your downloads when you start a game; so you would have to begin the game, Alt-Tab and resume it and Tab back in.

I would suggest you install it and update it at someone else's house and up the back-up to put it on disc. It will even allow you to split the back-up into CD sized archives.

Although Steam only say you require an internet connection, when you buy Half-Life 2 from the shops they check that you have broadband (well, me and everyone I know were asked this). Obviously because someone else bought you it, they didn't know you had dial-up.

This post was edited on 12-26-2006 at 05:02 PM by Dr4g0n.
12-26-2006 04:58 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: