What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » installing half-life 2

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
installing half-life 2
Author: Message:
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: installing half-life 2
quote:
Originally posted by remember_987
paudash

edit: and traxor there is nothing on the box that says anything about connection and why are you so hellbent on proving me wrong?

I just don't want you to look like an idiot when you email them, you won't get a good reply at all. Trying to prepare you for it?

Oh, and I like being right.
quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Edit: @ Traxor. You don't need to apoligize (Smilie)

I do, I got something wrong :).
12-26-2006 05:11 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: installing half-life 2
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
quote:
Originally posted by remember_987
paudash

edit: and traxor there is nothing on the box that says anything about connection and why are you so hellbent on proving me wrong?

I just don't want you to look like an idiot when you email them, you won't get a good reply at all. Trying to prepare you for it?
He has _every_ right to file a complain and he wont look like an idiot at all. As a matter of fact, people have complained a lot about this way of "buying" a game and they already probably recieved tons of such complaints too.

It is normal that game companies provide updates online. But it is not normal that you need to download a whole CD to be able to play anything, that is just plain rediculus.

One pays for a game, not to mention the same amount as for any other game. So, one can expect that it is playable out-of-the-box if the minimum requirements are met, which he has met btw! Ok that you need to download 5MB or something to update it, but not like this...

Let alone just printing "internet connection required" covers what you need to do here. IMHO, it is extremely normal that people complain about such dodgy practices; they bought a game, on CD, not a subscription for an online game or whatever.

It is quite normal and very understandeable that he doesn't want to download for 6 days (or even longer when he isn't able to be connected 24/7) and blocking all other internet traffic, phone calls, etc. And then I don't even speak about the data traffic and download quota which he probably has...

----------

remember_987, if you're not willing or aren't able to download the updates, I suggest to take the game back to the store and ask for a refund... if you didn't already installed it. Or.... Maybe this is the perfect opportunity to ask your parents for a broadband connection (via satellite?) so you can play the game (and say you need it for school too and stuff :p)

This post was edited on 12-26-2006 at 05:37 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-26-2006 05:31 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
remember_987, if you're not willing or aren't able to download the updates, I suggest to take the game back to the store and ask for a refund... if you didn't already installed it. Or.... Maybe this is the perfect opportunity to ask your parents for a broadband connection (via satellite?) so you can play the game (and say you need it for school too and stuff (Smilie))

He can't take it back to the store, they won't accept it.
12-26-2006 05:50 PM
Val

30 / Other / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
remember_987, if you're not willing or aren't able to download the updates, I suggest to take the game back to the store and ask for a refund... if you didn't already installed it. Or.... Maybe this is the perfect opportunity to ask your parents for a broadband connection (via satellite?) so you can play the game (and say you need it for school too and stuff (Smilie))

He can't take it back to the store, they won't accept it.

It is really the store's choice. Usually if a product is opened a store will not take it back, especially video games. Again it will vary from store to store.
Menthix:
Anonymous doesn\'t have a leader.
Anonymous is the leader of ShawnZ.

Max:
True. But deep down, we all know.
ShawnZ is incharge.
he is /b/ in human form.
12-26-2006 06:00 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by ValSpy
It is really the store's choice. Usually if a product is opened a store will not take it back, especially video games. Again it will vary from store to store.

For games on Steam, they won't accept them back.
12-26-2006 06:33 PM
remember_987

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: installing half-life 2
hate to be a bother again but is there even a way to file a complaint with steam? I have looked around and have yet to find a way to contact them...
[Image: 3userbarsax8.gif]
I made them all!
12-26-2006 08:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
remember_987

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: installing half-life 2
lolz. That is where I have been looking and from what I can tell there is no way to send an abusive e-mail of any sort :P
[Image: 3userbarsax8.gif]
I made them all!
12-26-2006 09:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
Shady hint:
Take a look around Megagames PC fixes section.

I'm not sure if this is technically legal. It's probably a breach of the EULA. Except I never accepted the EULA - my mate installed HL2 for me after we got back from the shops and I needed some time alone in the little boys room. :P
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
12-26-2006 10:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Dr4g0n

33 / Male / Flag
Often with those "fixes" you can't go on VAC secured servers to play online, so what's the point.

At least when you buy it it's going to work, even if it does take just s long to download =[
12-27-2006 09:48 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Dr4g0n
Often with those "fixes" you can't go on VAC secured servers to play online, so what's the point.

At least when you buy it it's going to work, even if it does take just s long to download =[

So far he's already said he only wants to install Half-Life 2. There's a patch at Megagames which lets you install HL2 without needing to install Steam.

Personally, I don't see where the problem arises from that.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
12-27-2006 12:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: