What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Contact talking to..

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Contact talking to..
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Contact talking to..
quote:
Originally posted by Deco
Well Cookie you have to consider that some people (if not most people) don't really care if their email is shown in a "Who-are-you-talking-to-script".
Even if you are correct (which I doubt seeing how many people do not want their mail shown on a forum for example) it is SOME people, not ALL people, and as such it is an invasion of privacy...

quote:
Not only that but also that some people might actually want to use this script for some odd reason.
The reason to use it totally doesn't matter since it is an invasion of privacy...

Let me give you the exact same equivalent of me showing your private email on every forum I frequent for the reason that I it puts more text in my posts (if that is an enough odd reason :p). As such, the reason does not matter, it is an invasion of your privacy by me.

It is not for nothing that contact emails are listed in the 'Privacy' options panel, that a 'confirmation' needs to be given by your contacts to you if you want them to add to your friends list (which can be seen by contacts of contacts), etc, etc...

quote:
I can totally understand taking out the script when it's something like a trojan and has functions that would harm the person's computer.. but taking out this one just feels harsh to me.
Harsh? It is harsh that such scripts invade people's privacy...

Again this doesn't have anything todo with virusses, trojans, spyware, harming other computers, it has todo with privacy. Btw, with the emails harvested by such a script you can harm people, servers, etc, it is called spam.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Erm, I don't know what to say. It was fine till the other day (Smilie).
It never was fine from the start though... If a thread isn't read upon in a time it doesn't mean everything is ok with the thing posted in the thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
I only wanted it for private use (only for myself)
That doesn't matter at all because in that case you are breaking the privacy of your contacts.

And if it was for one of your contacts to use, so you can see who that contact is talking to, then that contact is breaking the privacy of his contacts.

It is and always will be breaking someone's privacy. So called private use or not.

This post was edited on 12-30-2006 at 02:29 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-30-2006 02:14 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: