What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Can Microsoft/email providers see what we are saying?

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Can Microsoft/email providers see what we are saying?
Author: Message:
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
RE: Can Microsoft/email providers see what we are saying?
quote:
Originally posted by Steven
Or they said there isp will find your chat log with a special code that only they know, called an IP address.

LOL.

someone should slap them silly.
[Image: jumbled.png]
01-01-2007 01:25 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Steven

Phillup you little devil you/..

30 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
Or they said there isp will find your chat log with a special code that only they know, called an IP address.

LOL.

Yeah really. They had this "computer expert" (so they say) come in, to educate us on the danger of bulling, and how with their knowledge of IP's could remove internet, even if your parents need it. I asked him a question, i said "do you guys remove dynamic IP's" He said "next question"
[Image: sig2ni2.gif] 
01-01-2007 01:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
LOL.
But why? IF they log the chats themselfs (highly unlikely), then yes, they can indeed, and of course, find the log by comparing the IP addresses :rolleyes:

It is the ISP which provides the IP addresses and IF they log anything, they at least log who (physical address) has given what IP at what time... This information is used for example when someone reports abuses, spam, etc..

I think some other people need to be slapped a bit for not paying attention and misunderstanding what is been said in class :p

EDIT:
quote:
no no no no..i was lol'ing at the 'a special code that only they know' bit.
yeah... true... bit dodgy :p

quote:
I asked him a question, i said "do you guys remove dynamic IP's" He said "next question"
So? What you probably though was a good question to trick him or something, is actually not...

Even if you have a dynamic IP, they can remove your connection... The dynamic IP is given by your ISP, nor by your router or whatever. And they can also invalidate it and cutting your current connection at any time or decide to not give you a dynamic IP anymore, so you would need to search and contact another ISP.

I would say "next question" too on such smartass questions like that :p j/k

This post was edited on 01-02-2007 at 02:27 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-01-2007 08:14 PM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
RE: RE: Can Microsoft/email providers see what we are saying?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
quote:
LOL.
Why? IF they log the chats themselfs (highly unlikely), then yes, they can indeed, and of course, find the log by comparing the IP addresses :rolleyes:

It is the ISP which provides the IP addresses and IF they log anything, they at least log who (physical address) has given what IP at what time... This information is used for example when someone reports abuses, spam, etc..

I think some other people need to be slapped a bit for not paying attention and misunderstanding what is been said in class :p

no no no no..i was lol'ing at the 'a special code that only they know' bit.

not the fact ISP's could be using IPs to compare the logs and whatnot.

EDIT:

quote:

EDIT:yeah... true... bit dodgy :p

a bit 8-)

:P

This post was edited on 01-02-2007 at 10:16 AM by vaccination.
[Image: jumbled.png]
01-02-2007 12:19 AM
Adeptus

quote:
Identity theft is something which happens way more than someone reading what you write to someone. Heck, even take all those hotmail accounts which are hacked, aka password and identity stolen. ... Privacy issues don't begin with an ISP logging your chats for legit reasons.
Just because there are other things one should be concerned about (such as identity theft and account security) does not, in any way, shape or form, mean that people should not be concerned about privacy of their online communications.  You are sending completely the wrong message there.
quote:
Again, what on earth is so bad about the goverment knowing that you've chatted 2 hous with that girl?
First of all,  it is quite simply not the government's business to know.  They are not entitled.   This is a matter of principle, not necessarily of practical consequence.

Secondly, there are many scenarios where existence of such logs is undesireable to an individual, which do not involve the individual breaking any laws.  Let's take the example you like -- talking to your girlfriend -- and imagine that we are not talking about a 15-year-old, but rather a married man in the middle of a contested divorce.  If it is well known that there are logs of electronic communications, a subpoena can be issued for those logs in a civil case.
quote:
They who are concearned about their chat being logged (which nobody ever even wants to read in all honesty), should better worry about...
No.  They should encrypt their communications, then worry about all the other things you mention.
quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
I have a feeling (thought it's just a feeling) that it's unlikely that any ISP will passively log MSN conversations.
That is correct.  The concern there would be about MSN logging and retaining conversations.  The concern with ISPs is primarily email.

The original poster (nod32) has perfectly valid and warranted concerns.  I think it is regrettable that instead of focusing on what he can do to address those, majority of the responses are downplaying their significance.
01-02-2007 01:59 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Can Microsoft/email providers see what we are saying?
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
...quite simply not the government's business to know.  They are not entitled.

Basically nobody is.;)
01-02-2007 08:35 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: