What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Computer sound

Computer sound
Author: Message:
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
O.P. Undecided  Computer sound
I'm not sure if this is because of my speakers... my sound card... or it could even be from electronic interferance...

I've been listening to music the last two days, and I wouldn't get any bass at all and the vocals would be cut out of the song... I have no idea how or why.

Today I watched a video of Saddam's hanging, and it had a buzzing noise and the news anchors voices were so muffled I couldn't hear them.

I have no idea what this is from... It could be electronic interference because of my neighbors and they might be getting monitored by the police... My sound card cause it's the original in the computer (4 or so years old), or it could be the speakers of course... but those are fairly new.

Any help would be great.
12-30-2006 01:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
RE: Computer sound
Sounds like your tweeter's have blown in your speakers - the tweeters are usually what produce the voice ;)

EDIT: Either that or there's a loose connection in the speaker.
Have you tried changing the cables too the speakers from the pc?

This post was edited on 12-30-2006 at 02:06 PM by Nathan.
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

12-30-2006 02:05 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Computer sound
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Sounds like your tweeter's have blown in your speakers - the tweeters are usually what produce the voice

I don't want to assume that's it... but it's probably the most logical... Would it make like a popping noise when this happens or no?... Cause It just like... 2 days ago, music was just fine... and then all of a sudden it was gone... No like pop or anything... just it suddenly cut out.
12-30-2006 03:15 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Cut out voices, no bass, muffled sound, and a constant buzzing noise doesn't sound like tweeters or the bass speaker blown up and not working anymore...

If that would be the case then you would only hear either higher frequencies (eg voices) and not lower (so you cant here muffled sound in this case) or vice versa (but in that case you wont hear a constant buzzing noise)., if I get it right what you meant...

But it sounds exactly like what happened to my cheap speakers/soundcard after years of usage. At random times the sound just goes far away in the background, no real dynamics anymore and a lot of pink noise and some low pitched brum constantly overwelming the total sound...

This wasn't due speakers blowing up, loose contacts, interfearance or such stuff though. It was simply because of a worn out soundcard (eventually electronics can worn/burn out, and too much dust on the electronics maybe because the pc case was always open for years and not in a clean environment)

Maybe in such cases one should record the sound of the speakers via an external device so we can listen to it :p

This post was edited on 12-30-2006 at 11:55 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-30-2006 11:47 PM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Maybe in such cases one should record the sound of the speakers via an external device so we can listen to it

I would but I don't have one :p... hmm... I'm not sure... you got it right with the sound just sounding so distant... I mean... you can hear voices, just like they're sooo quiet... and the buzzing noise isn't always there... it was during that video and some others...
12-31-2006 01:41 AM
Nathan
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
That sounds to me like what i said before cookie :refuck:
The bass speaker and tweeter interact with themselves,
So they kinda split themselves up if you see what i mean.
So one half (tweeter) does 80% of the voice and the bass speaker will do the other bit if the bass wasn't there then everything would be really high pitched and unlistenable (common term being "tinny")

And say if it was the other was round when the tweeter has blown:

There would be muffleness because there isnt that "80%" of the voice there so therefore you dont hear the higher tone you hear the low tone.

But cookie has rightfully said it could well be the sound card because you're saying sometimes its quiet so its the sound card might be dieing on you therefore the soundcard outputs less and less untill it stops.

Only a couple of months ago our rear right tweeter (in the "rear right speaker :P"),
in our family room blew and because its near the swimming pool (it echos through the wall :p) my dad had tuned the speaker so it sounded like the others even though it was in a different "environment" so the sound was very noticble because it fuxed the whole sound up. But my dad didnt notice untill i told him (the way its setup) and when i was walking down to go for a swim it was really muffled so i told my dad and it was the tweeter.

I'll shut up now :P

12-31-2006 02:04 AM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
Okay... and another thing I just found... If I put the sound all on one speaker it works fine... doesn't matter which speaker.... but if it's balanced between the two it does what it was doing...

Still a slight buzzing though on one speaker.
12-31-2006 02:26 AM
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
It sounds like the jack is damaged. What kind of jack do the speakers have? Try rotating/twisting it, does the sound change?

I had that problem and I solved it by changing the plug (I connect my computer to my hifi with a miniplug->RCA cable).
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
12-31-2006 03:02 AM
Nathan
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Have you tried changing the cables too the speakers from the pc?
I basically said that :)

12-31-2006 03:36 AM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
It sounds like the jack is damaged. What kind of jack do the speakers have? Try rotating/twisting it, does the sound change?

Tried that... no help... hmm... I can deal with sound only coming from one speaker for now.
12-31-2006 04:09 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: