What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Install Windows xp and File system format type

Install Windows xp and File system format type
Author: Message:
nite_roxbury

O.P. Install Windows xp and File system format type
Hello,

i just recently bought a license for windows xp. currently i'm using a non-genuine windows xp. how do i install windows xp? is it that i need to uninstall the previous windows? if so how to unistall it?

As a result of this, what are the possible risks? am i going to lose all my programs and files?

Also, which is the best format settings, is it NTFS File system or FAT File system?

Will appreciate if anyone could help. Thank you :)
01-01-2007 11:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Install Windows xp and File system format type
NTFS and FAT both have their advantages.

NTFS is a much secure file system and allows for files larger then 4gbs. Where FAT32 allows for file reading in DOS.

There is no way to "uninstall" an Operating System. You can install Windows XP overtop of itself, some applications probably wont function afterwards as their dependencies wouldn't be registered and it would be missing registry entries. The best bet would be to format the disk and install Windows XP from scratch along with all of your programs.
01-02-2007 12:00 AM
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
Why "Previous" anyway? You were only using the same OS, but with no license. If you do have a WinXP disk, all you have to do is pop it in as the computer's loading up. Therefore it won't show up the repair center or whatever.

Or you could ignore that me and have a crack at it yourself, either way, you'll probably get it in the long run. :P

This post was edited on 01-02-2007 at 03:15 AM by ryxdp.
01-02-2007 03:15 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by nite_roxbury
i just recently bought a license for windows xp
you can just change the pirated, ungenuine key to the new one and no problem! noo need to install anyyhing
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
01-02-2007 03:21 AM
joemailey

38 / Male / –
to change XP product Key

Editing the registry
Begin by opening the Registry Editor and navigating to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents

In the right pane, right-click the ODBETimer binary value and select Modify. Change at least one character of this value to either a number from 0 to 9 or to a letter from A to F, then click OK and close the Registry Editor. This renders the current product key invalid and deactivates Windows.

Now, it’s time to reactivate Windows using your new product key. Click Start | Run and enter the command:
%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe /a

where %systemroot% is your Windows directory. In many cases, this command will look like:
C:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

At this point, Windows will launch the Product Activation Wizard.

Select the option to telephone a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows, and click Next. Now, select the Change Product Key option and enter your new product key. Finally, click Update and close the window. If Windows returns you to the previous screen, just select the Remind Me Later option. When the wizard is finished, reboot the system.

When Windows reboots, your next step will depend on which Windows XP version you are using. If you have XP Home or Professional, you’ll be prompted to reactivate your copy of Windows through the normal activation process. If you have XP Corporate, no activation is required and your machine should have a valid product ID. You can verify this by running the %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a command again. When the wizard loads this time, you should see a message indicating that your copy of Windows has already been activated.

Enjoy and Goodluck

File System

NTFS is best use, fat32 has no point anymore when it comes to XP. Some XP disks don't even give you the option to pick ntfs or fat32 anymore.

If you format you will surely lose all your data. simple as. unless you have 2 hard drives or your hard drive is partitioned.

Example you have a C:\ drive and i dunno an E:\ drive. if you format C:\ drive then the E:\ will still hold all files/data that was stored on it.

I have 2 harddrives.

fist 500GB drive is partitioned as 2.  C:\ holds 100GB of information and is used for the operating system(Windows XP, but im currently running vista x64)

the 2nd partition is E:\ that holds 400GB(not exactly 400GB bit less) i store movies,music & install files for games & software and sutff there.

now my 2nd hard drive holds 320GB and is my D:\ Drive. Which holds my downloaded files.

So if i format C:\ drive. i keep all my installation files, all my movies, music n downloaded content because its stored on diff drive/partition from my operating system.

BUT do note all installed programs will be removed or not function. and you will be required to reinstall them again.

This post was edited on 01-02-2007 at 12:48 PM by joemailey.
01-02-2007 08:52 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
nite_roxbury

O.P. RE: Install Windows xp and File system format type
Thanx guyz for replying. I will try to edit the registry.

Regarding the file system format. If i format it using the NTFS, will it be of no problem with my other hardware that was formatted as FAT32, as my external hard drives are all in FAT32 format.

Also, is it possible that if my computer are readily formated as FAT32 to be change to NTFS? What are the consequences?
01-02-2007 07:17 PM
joemailey

38 / Male / –
No other hardware will work fine.
For example - most mp3 players etc., are all Fat32 systems.
Xp can access Fat32 drives simple enuf, problem arises if you try to access NTFS when your running a fat32 system :-)
01-02-2007 07:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
NTFS -> FAT/FAT32 = Backwards compatible IIRC :)

No problems *should* - I say SHOULD - occur if you format as NTFS :D
01-02-2007 10:11 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: