What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Network with two routers

Network with two routers
Author: Message:
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Network with two routers
Right, because our old router didn't have wireless we had to get a wireless one to get a wireless connection home. However, I decided to have the old router as the last thing before the modem because it had slightly better features that I wanted to (or would like to) take benefit of on all computers, including the one connecting to the wireless router.
Internet works just fine, no problems there, and so does printer sharing, but for some reason I can't find shared folders on computers on the wireless router from the ones connected to the wired router, and vice versa. I can see folders on computers connected to the wired one from another computer that is connecting to the wired one.
The problem is obviously something in my setup, but what? Do I have the cables wrongly connected or is the router (wireless one) set up wrong (perhaps I even just simply block the port that the shared folders use? In that case which one(s) is it?).

Attached: extremely awesome illustration of the setup!

.png File Attachment: Setup Artist's Illustration.PNG (11.32 KB)
This file has been downloaded 164 time(s).
[Image: signature.php]
01-03-2007 05:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Network with two routers
my girlfriend bought a laptop the other day and set it up to network at home... under her router settings 'attached devices' had either 'unkown' or 'family' when it was set to unkown (norton on) it wouldn't share folders etc. when it was 'family' (norton off) it worked fine....

Don't know if its anything like that but it sounded familiar

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
01-03-2007 05:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
Are all the computers in the same workgroup (Press Start + Pause, then go to the Computer Name tab
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
01-03-2007 05:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Network with two routers
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
Are all the computers in the same workgroup (Press Start + Pause, then go to the Computer Name tab

Yes, but this doesn't actually affect file sharing (computer myths :O). I'm pretty sure it's a router setting more than anything (those you access when going to 192.168.1.1 or something similar). The routers also have in-build firewalls (the wireless one has the firewall disabled).

quote:
Originally posted by intel
go to my network places then entire network then microsoft windows network

:dodgy: How does this "help" me?

This post was edited on 01-03-2007 at 05:37 PM by Vilkku.
01-03-2007 05:36 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
:dodgy: How does this "help" me?
It doesn't.

What you could try is setting up a port forward on the wireless router. I'm afraid you'll have to research the port you need to forward yourself.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
01-03-2007 08:42 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
foaly

38 / Male / Flag
did you try using \\Wireless modem IP\computer IP\ ?
01-03-2007 10:20 PM
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
Did you turn off the NAT capabilities of the second router, this might cause the inability to fileshare, cause the other computers can't see the computers on the second router just the router.
[Image: 1-0.png]

01-03-2007 11:26 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Snake

34 / Male / Flag
In my case. I connected my second router to the first one, (Like you have). I then just turned off DHCP server on the second router. Make sure your not plugging router #1 into the WAN port on the router #2.
[Image: sig.png]
01-03-2007 11:44 PM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Network with two routers
quote:
Originally posted by Snake
In my case. I connected my second router to the first one, (Like you have). I then just turned off DHCP server on the second router. Make sure your not plugging router #1 into the WAN port on the router #2.

Sound like this might be something, I have it connected like you said it should be already, but DHCP is indeed turned on on the wireless one afaik, I will try this when I get home.

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
Did you turn off the NAT capabilities of the second router, this might cause the inability to fileshare, cause the other computers can't see the computers on the second router just the router.

No, because I didn't quite figure out how. Might be a dumb question, but in NAT different from Firewall options (might be labeled differently? the wired router menu says NAT for what the other one calls firewall)?

quote:
Originally posted by foaly
did you try using \\Wireless modem IP\computer IP\ ?

Nope, didn't know about that, I will try this as well once I get home.

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
What you could try is setting up a port forward on the wireless router. I'm afraid you'll have to research the port you need to forward yourself.

I tried that, I actually found the ports but I had to make a new rule for each IP and it didn't seem to work from the 5mins I spent with it yesterday.

Thanks for all your suggestions, now I have something to try. I will try the things you suggested once I get home and I'll tell you how it went.

6342 days, 17 hours, 2 minutes, 26 seconds ago until I get home :O

EDIT: Right, I tried some of your suggestions and here is the result:
#1 (turn off DHCP): I had already disabled this, so this wasn't a solution :(
#2 (turn off NAT): I am still unsure if NAT is same thing as firewall or not, but the firewall is disabled.
#3 (use a path to access the computer): I haven't tried this yet, but even if it does work I would like a solution which lets me access the computer from My Network Places etc.
#4 (forward IPs): I already partly tried this, didn't work. But firewall is disabled anyway, so it shouldn't matter, right?
01-04-2007 02:07 PM
foaly

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
#3 (use a path to access the computer): I haven't tried this yet, but even if it does work I would like a solution which lets me access the computer from My Network Places etc.
well if it works... ( I would get my hopes up just yet it works for me like 30% off the time...) you can add it to your My Network Places with the "add network location" wizard...
01-04-2007 02:11 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: