What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » wont detect new video card

wont detect new video card
Author: Message:
guanako
Veteran Member

ALbert0

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. wont detect new video card
ok i just bought GeForce fx 5200 and put it on a PCI slot and it said to set the BIOS to PCI as the 'default display adapter', and i went to change it and it was already on PCI, then it said to plug my monitor right on it but that doesnt give me any image at all.  and windows wont detect any new hardware either :S my mother board has a built in video adapter and idk if has to do anything with that. help plz :)

ok since i get no response or help :( anybody can direct me on how to move from a built in video controler to a PCI video card:(?

This post was edited on 01-04-2007 at 03:31 AM by guanako.
[Image: guanako20.png]
01-04-2007 02:47 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: wont detect new video card
In the BIOS you should have a setting under Advanced (depending on the manufacturer) for On Board Video. You need to disable that.
01-04-2007 04:26 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
guanako
Veteran Member

ALbert0

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: wont detect new video card
then only thing about on 'board video' memory it says 8mb or 16mb, the only video card i ever installed was a AGP on a older pc and it neded some kind of bridge from the on board video to the the new card, then to the monitor.
01-04-2007 04:40 AM
Adeptus

I can't give you a single solution, but things I'd pursue in your situation include:

1) Make really sure the video card is inserted fully and try it in different slots.  When doing so, make sure there is no monitor connected to the onboard video connector.

2) If possible, test the new video card in another PC.

3) Try to identify your motherboard (cpu-z works well for that) and Google up a manual for it.  Look for any information on disabling the onboard video, including jumper settings.  If you are good with Google, you may also find some forum / newsgroup posts from others who have tried to add a video card on that board and may have encounted the same problem.

Given that there is no technical limitation against having multiple PCI (or one AGP + multiple PCI) graphics cards, yet you say Windows isn't even detecting the card, I suspect the problem will turn out to have something to do with the card not being inserted all the way, bad card, or bad slots.  Disabling the onboard video is not really essential here to get some action from the new card, although you still might have to do that to make it your primary display.
01-04-2007 06:47 AM
Dr4g0n

33 / Male / Flag
Disabling the on-board graphics chip shouldn't make a difference and if anything will make things worse, since you then you'll have no output.

Although I can't offer you a solution (go with Adeptus') I can tell you that this is not the answer.
01-04-2007 07:58 PM
guanako
Veteran Member

ALbert0

37 / Male / Flag
yeah i know disable the on board isnt requiered to add the card but i just dont get why it wont even tell me about new hardware found :(

Video/Graphics Card Installation
1. Disconnect the power cord
2. Have a phillips screw driver ready, ensure that its not magnetized
3. Ground(earth) yourself by touching something metallic to remove any static charge and ensure that your hands are dry
4. Remove the case cover to expose the AGP/PCI slots
5. Using the screw driver remove the screw from the slot plate(AGP or PCI) and manoeuvre the card in the space with the VGA adapter pointing to the back of the case, through the slot does it matter what slot? 1, 2 , or 3?. Before you press it in all the way let it rest on the outside of the slot and ensure that its properly aligned. It can only fit one way into the slot. Just ensure that you haven't oriented the card in an upside down position.(The notch for the screw should be facing you and the VGA adapter pointing to the back of the computer, through the slot and with the card held level horizontally try to push it straight in). This part is the trickiest and may require a little manoeuvring of the card but just apply 'gentle' & steady pressure once its properly aligned and be patient.
6. Replace the screw once the card is fully inserted in the slot. The notch for securing the card to the case(with the screw) should be resting immediately adjacent to the screw hole.
7. Detach monitor from onboard VGA port and reattach the monitor to the VGA adapter on your newlt installed card
8. Reattach the power cord and turn on the computer i just get the black monitor as if it wasnt connected to anything, so this is the farthest i get:(
9. Insert the disk & follow the menu to install the drivers and accompanying software
10. Click on Control Panel->system->hardware->device manager->display adapters->You should see both the Nvidia & ATI Radeon 200. Now right clich on the ATI Radeon->properties->general tab->device usage->do not use this device(disable). This disables the onboard graphics card. Not sure if you can run both as I never tried it because I had no intention of using the onboard graphics card. Maybe advantageous to leave it enabled if there are no conflicts, just in case your new card fails at some point and you can use the onboard in the interim.
11. Once you are satisfied that all is going well, shut down computer, remove power cord and replace case cover.
12. Reattach power cord and restart.

just for the record i have a ASUSTeK computer INC. model P4G533LA
01-04-2007 10:24 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Umm disabling the onboard card is necessary. Your system will recognize only 1 videocard at a time.

But what do I know right...

Worse comes to worse just pop the CMOS battery out it will reset the CMOS.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=773889]

.jpg File Attachment: eco_adv_videoadpt.jpg (100.66 KB)
This file has been downloaded 494 time(s).
01-04-2007 11:55 PM
Adeptus

Like I said -- try all three slots and make sure you are inserting the card as far as it goes. 

I don't want to encourage you to break anything, but if you have never done that before, you could be too gentle and not getting it all the way in.
01-04-2007 11:59 PM
guanako
Veteran Member

ALbert0

37 / Male / Flag
i was XD re inserted it on slot 1 and its now all on it XD thank you all! :D it works!
01-05-2007 02:14 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: