What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Vista Ultimate OEM

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Vista Ultimate OEM
Author: Message:
joemailey

38 / Male / –
O.P. Vista Ultimate OEM
Can some one explain the catch to me on this.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SW-040-MS

OEM build, Can be activated once or something.

Whats the catch?

I cant change hardware in my machine? if i upgrade my PC it becomes invalid?

I would like normal answer, Maybe from experienced user !! as theres alot of confusing stuff around OEM stuff

Edit : As far as i know i can't buy OEM edition because its locked to your pc, if i upgrade a bit of hardware it break the license agreement. :-(

Retail got limitations as well. im confused stupid expensive nice operating system lol

This post was edited on 01-04-2007 at 03:04 PM by joemailey.
01-04-2007 02:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Vista Ultimate OEM
OEM version is the version that computer company's install on your computer. Like when you boy a Dell pc, with windows on it, that's the OEM version.

You're not supposed to buy the OEM version unless you're such a computer company.
[Image: 1-0.png]

01-04-2007 03:31 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
joemailey

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: Vista Ultimate OEM
quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
You're not supposed to buy the OEM version unless you're such a computer company.

Thats wrong.

You can buy OEM version if you want, Usually have to buy it with a new harddrive or new piece of hardware. which can be a slittle as a mouse :-)

01-04-2007 04:15 PM
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Vista Ultimate OEM
quote:
Originally posted by joemailey
quote:
Originally posted by Ezra

Thats wrong.

You can buy OEM version if you want, Usually have to buy it with a new harddrive or new piece of hardware. which can be a slittle as a mouse :-)

I don't think so.  I'm quite sure it has to be with a substantial piece of equipment, not a peripheral (mouse, keyboard, etc.).  I'm quite sure an OEM version can only be purchased with the likes of a motherboard or possibly a hard drive or some other significant piece of hardware.  If someone feels like correcting me on this then go right ahead.

EDIT: and Microsoft says in this word document that you are not to transfer OEM products from one computer to the next.

This post was edited on 01-04-2007 at 04:39 PM by markee.
[Image: markee.png]
01-04-2007 04:33 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
joemailey

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: RE: RE: Vista Ultimate OEM
quote:
Originally posted by markee

I don't think so.  I'm quite sure it has to be with a substantial piece of equipment, not a peripheral (mouse, keyboard, etc.).  I'm quite sure an OEM version can only be purchased with the likes of a motherboard or possibly a hard drive or some other significant piece of hardware.  If someone feels like correcting me on this then go right ahead.

EDIT: and Microsoft says in this word document that you are not to transfer OEM products from one computer to the next.

Well

Scan.co.uk allow you to buy a mouse n purchase it. :-)
As posted by scan worker, on a board

Scan

Read the fourth post please on that page.
Also place like Newegg, you don't have to buy anything, and someone also mentioned they didn't have to buy anything on overclockers.co.uk to get there OEM copy of XP.

Also not asking about transferring it to another pc.
I'm really asking about activation side of it. as i rebuild my PC every 4-6months. as i run alot of different software for testing purposes.

and if i upgrade a component in my pc. rubbish like tht i dont get but i no at one stage if you change piece of hardware it voids ur license kinda thing.

Thanks Markee found what i needed.

quote:
11.    Rather than purchase completely new PCs, my organization performs in-place upgrades to the hardware on many of our computers. We often times only replace the motherboard, processor, and memory. Since the COA is still on the case and the OS is still installed on the hard drive, this computer is still licensed, right?
ANSWER.  Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your computer and maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer." Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from one computer to another. Therefore, if the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect then a new computer has been created, the original license expires, and a new full operating system license (not upgrade) is required. . This is true even if the computer is covered under Software Assurance or other Volume License programs.

12.      If I upgrade some of my PC components, do I have to purchase a new operating system?
ANSWER.  The answer depends on the components that are upgraded or changed in the PC. The operating system licenses must remain with the device that retains the motherboard, chipsets, and chassis that include the serial number of the device. The operating system may be installed on a new/replacement hard drive as long as the operating system is first removed from the old hard drive. 

Please refer to the section on “Modifications to hardware and how they affect the activation status of Windows XP” in the following link for a more detailed explanation regarding specific hardware changes. The same hardware component changes that can be made to a PC before requiring re-activation of Windows XP are the same changes that can be made before a PC is considered to be “new” - and when a new license for OEM software is required.

This post was edited on 01-04-2007 at 06:45 PM by joemailey.
01-04-2007 06:37 PM
alexp2_ad
Scripting Contest Winner

Who love the chocolate?

36 / Male / –
It's perfectly legal to buy OEM versions as long as you buy a piece of hardware with it.  Any piece of hardware at all.  The only downsides are that it won't come with a box, manual, etc.  You might not get support as easily, but you'll have a nice, cheap, legal copy of Windows.
01-04-2007 06:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
joemailey

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Vista Ultimate OEM
Well u dnt need a box or a manual lol.

Support? what support? and from who lol

all support u need is located on the web or in a discussion board ^_^
01-04-2007 07:04 PM
mad dog mcg

– / Male / –
oem versions are fine and legal if you purchase new hardware if companys sell oem versions wich they do they are breaking the rules of microsoft lets look at it this way if for instance your little sticker gets wiped of your machine by accident of course you are not intitled to the licence of your own copy of xp in that machine and as my good freind previousley said an upgrade of a mother board does mean a new pc is bourne unless through damage but between you and i microsoft only care that you are paying something for vista and not running pirate software i am a beta tester for microsoft and they just want us to pay for software hope this settles it for you if not post me a question :)
01-11-2007 09:41 PM
alexp2_ad
Scripting Contest Winner

Who love the chocolate?

36 / Male / –
RE: RE: Vista Ultimate OEM
quote:
Originally posted by mad dog mcg
they are breaking the rules of microsoft lets look at it this way if for instance your little sticker gets wiped of your machine by accident of course you are not intitled to the licence of your own copy of xp in that machine

You know that's complete rubbish, right?
01-11-2007 09:45 PM
mad dog mcg

– / Male / –
why do you say that
01-11-2007 09:55 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version