What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Missing or corrupted HAL.DLL

Missing or corrupted HAL.DLL
Author: Message:
alegator

O.P. Huh?  Missing or corrupted HAL.DLL
I cloned my main drive (250Gb) to a 2nd internal drive (320Gb). The 2nd internal has 2 partitions: 237Gb and 60.5Gb. I chose the 237Gb partition as destination for the cloning, of course I set it as Primary, Active to make it bootable.So when I try to boot my system with the cloned disk as main drive the PC even before the Windows logo starts stops with the following message:
WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE THE FILE HAL.DLL IN WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 IS MISSING OR CORRUPT. REINSTALL THIS FILE TO START WINDOWS
I checked the Win32 folder in the cloned disk and the hal.dll file is there.
Can anyone suggest a fix or explain what's happenning?
Thanks
(I used Ghost10 to clone the disk) 
01-07-2007 11:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Missing or corrupted HAL.DLL
HAL.DLL won't work from one system to the next, unless the motherboard, chipset, processor, bios etc are the same. If the system you cloned to doesn't have, well, exactly the same hardware as the old one, it probably won't boot. Repairing windows might do the trick.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
01-08-2007 12:05 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
I hate that file, it is horrible, if its missing your entire windows stops working.  I spent 12+ hours trying to fix my computers HAL.DLL error once...I then said i've spent too much time on it and ill just reinstall.  Its better to just give up and start new, or use your other drive.

As for HAL.DLL, Microsoft or someone else should really create a User Friendly Startup Disk for XP that fixes those errors that can cripple a system.
01-08-2007 12:45 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Dane
As for HAL.DLL, Microsoft or someone else should really create a User Friendly Startup Disk for XP that fixes those errors that can cripple a system.

the XP install cd and recovery console both will replace hal.dll for you. but, if you're unlucky enough to be trying to clone NT4, you've got no hope -- you have to go back and reinstall, selecting "Standard PC" instead of whatever it picked for you.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
01-08-2007 12:47 AM
alegator

O.P. RE: Missing or corrupted HAL.DLL
Shawn, I installed the cloned disk in the SAME identical PC I was using the source disk, so the mobo, chipset, cards, etc are all IDENTICAL, except of course the hard drive which is a different one. I've cloned hard drives before and they all were succesfull, this time only I encountered this problem. Before the cloning was done on destination hard drives with only one partition (and this time the HD has 2 partitions as said above). I also did not check the option to copy the Master Boot Record, because I thought it might delete the partitions. Does this make any difference? Also, what's the procedure to repair the HAL.DLL file using the Microsoft recovery console?
01-08-2007 04:47 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by alegator
I also did not check the option to copy the Master Boot Record, because I thought it might delete the partitions. Does this make any difference?
Not for the error you're getting. But you should have done this too (or create a new MBR on that new HDD) in order to make it bootable.

Also, what do you mean "cloning"? Since "cloning" can mean things from "I've copied all the files" to "I created a bit by bit clone of the HDD" and everything in between in. The method you used to clone, makes all the difference.

This post was edited on 01-08-2007 at 07:14 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-08-2007 07:14 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
alegator

O.P. RE: Missing or corrupted HAL.DLL
By cloning I mean a bit by bit clone of the HDD, and to do so I used Norton Ghost 10.
Regarding copying the Master Boot Record, I did not include this option as I'm afraid it might delete the partitions in the destination disk. One partition has data files in it which I want to keep, and the other partition I created it for the purpose of clining the source disk.
01-08-2007 08:02 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Then I hope you ticked the correct options and all because a bit by bit copy isn't going to work when your partitions are slightly different (eg: clustersize, sector size, etc, and all that stuff).

And the obvious, but I'm sure you knew this already: make sure the drive letter is the same as before, or nothing (not much) will work either as Windows wouldn't be able to locate files.

;)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-08-2007 09:01 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Dane
I hate that file, it is horrible
And it allows Windows to work on just about any PC you care to install it on. HAL is the Hardware Abstraction Layer, and forms the interface between Windows and the hardware.
A bit like this:
Windows
------------
HAL.DLL
------------
Hardware
[Image: spartaafk.png]
01-10-2007 09:47 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version