What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [Request] SysTray Icon Changer

[Request] SysTray Icon Changer
Author: Message:
unforsaken

CoderzFactory.org Admin

46 / Male / –
O.P. [Request] SysTray Icon Changer
I'm new to the idea of the Messenger Plus program...I am curious to know if it would be possible for someone to write a script that would interact with either the msn account itself, or the individual msn program running that would allow you to change the system tray icon during normal use.  I know the icon can be changed when in locked mode, but what about normal use.  I am asking as currently both my wife and use the same pc right now.  I found this plus program (btw love the plus) while searching for a way to allow the both of us to be on our own messenger accounts at the same time with both us using the MSN software.  That much is accomplished...however we both have the same exact icon and there is no way to know which is her's and which is mine without opening them.  I think it would be awsome to have an option to change the system tray icon so that one of us could change the icon so we would know which is which.  It would be great to have it either change it back to default upon exiting the msn (which is typically only done on a system reset) or having it assigned to the local account...both our accounts are saved in the MSN profile list.  This maybe asking too much and I'm not sure if its possible to do this or not...but it would be awsome if it could.  If there is anyone out there with the skills/knowhow to do this it would sure make life a lot easier for me and I'm guessing several others as well.

This post was edited on 01-11-2007 at 04:08 AM by unforsaken.
01-11-2007 04:02 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
RE: [Request]
1) you could get this script: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=64275
2) Install MSN Messenger or WLM (whichever you are using), skin it with a skin that changes the trayicon, rename the "MSN Messenger" folder in C:/Program Files to something like "MSN Messenger 2", install it again and one of you run the original and one can run the skinned version
3) Same thing as 2, accept that you reshack messenger in one of the folder and change the tray icon (probably a tad too complicated)

:)
01-11-2007 04:10 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Keikonium

35 / Male / Flag
RE: [Request] SysTray Icon Changer
Like Supersonicdarky said, Email Tooltip is great for this :).

However, a better script for what you're trying to do is called Messenger Plus! Live Enhancer (Click!).

This has the ability to change the icon per profile (as far as I know). I haven't actually tested it, cause it wont work for me right now ;).

I'd LOVE a script that can change each individual icon however... for busy, away, offline, etc.

This post was edited on 01-11-2007 at 04:26 AM by Keikonium.
Now Playing:
[image not working] [Image: 87cc21b0.png]
01-11-2007 04:25 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
the andyman

Windows Live Fanatic

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Keikonium
I'd LOVE a script that can change each individual icon however... for busy, away, offline, etc.
It's extremely easy to reshack those icons so a script could probably be made to patch the memory or do whatever those "virtual" patching scripts do ...
01-11-2007 05:08 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by the andyman
quote:
It's extremely easy to reshack those icons so a script could probably be made to patch the memory or do whatever those "virtual" patching scripts do ...
The icons are held in the resources. Resources are only read once (when the program starts). So a script patching that would be somewhat useless; you can't turn this on/off on the fly.

You can change the icons with a script, but the new icons would be part of an external resource and must be loaded on demand/held in memory all the time.

However, Messenger updates/changes the icons on several events and not only when your status changes. For a script it is very hard, if not impossible, to keep track off all these events in a decent way and to intercept them.

It is far more easier to either hard patch the icons in the Messenger executable once. Or to only alter the tooltip (which can be done extremely easy and with very short code; much shorter then shown in scripts like 'Email Tooltip' or 'Messenger Plus! Live Enhancer'... see CookieRevised's reply to Help: 'How to write code that manipulates the system tray icon')

This post was edited on 01-11-2007 at 06:01 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-11-2007 06:00 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
unforsaken

CoderzFactory.org Admin

46 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: [Request] SysTray Icon Changer
quote:
However, a better script for what you're trying to do is called Messenger Plus! Live Enhancer (Click!).

This has the ability to change the icon per profile (as far as I know). I haven't actually tested it, cause it wont work for me right now ;).

I have Live Enhancer which works for changing the icon when I'm away/busy...but I can't find where it works to change the icon per profile.  Of course I understand there is a newer version out somewhere, but I can't seem to find it and the update doesn't seem to work on the actual enhancer program itself.
01-14-2007 06:55 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: