What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » PowerCast : The end of electricy adapters?!

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
PowerCast : The end of electricy adapters?!
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: PowerCast : The end of electricy adapters?!
As said by others, harvesting energy out of RF signals is nothing new at all and is in fact already used in many devices (mostly by hobbyists and HAM radio people, etc) for years and years... even early 90's maybe.

Why they posted this news now seems a bit strange to me... Unless someone out there took the original news it a bit wrong and the original news was that this old technology is just being "rediscovered" and applied in "modern" devices like cell phones.

It is nothing new at all and I even remember my late grandfather (HAM radio hobbyist) making stuff with it...

It is just that this particular company has made something with this decade old technology (which many people seem to have forgotten or even didn't know/knew anymore it existed) to power new and modern devices like cell phones and mp3 players.

IMHO, news is seriously overrated, especially with "brand new technology" headlines. They didn't invented the wheel or the holy grale of power consumption. It is not more 'news' than Bridgestone making another revolutionary tire which displaces even more water than before; they too didn't invented the wheel...

-------------

However, same kind of prinicple can be used with infrared waves which would not have the disadvantage of suffering from interference, like this low RF signal.

It also has the advantage that no external signal needs to be made first. The RF signal still needs to come from somewhere, something with power, while the IR waves just comes from the sun (exactly like solar power panels).

The IR technology consists of extremely small miniature "solar panels" (if you will call it like that) which on its own only produce a small fraction of electricity, but together will produce even more electricity than a single solar panel cell and it would be way smaller in scale.

Another advantage of the IR couterpart is that it can send not-needed energy to other appliances as each device would be equiped with a reciever and sender.

This IR technology is much more promissing than the RF technology. The only downside, at the moment, because this is brand new (unlike this RF stuff), is that it is way more expensive.

The IR counterpart of this has been made possible only now because the technology to make extremely small cells which harvest energy out of IR signals without the need of other energy (like solar cells we all know) is just new and is based (IIRC, this might be not correct) on some molecular stuff going on (hence the possible extremely small size of the "panels").

-----

So, although this RF wireless transfer of energy might solve the problem of cluttering of wires and stuff. It does not solve the enegry problem, since the RF signal still need to come from a special source (a normal radio signal isn't powerfull enough, the stuff they talk about with RF wireless transfer of energy requires very low RF waves).

The IR wireless transfer is actually a beafed up solar panel on stereoids if you will, no need for any special external energy source (except a small amount of light, eg: from the sun). And because it is IR, it is also easy to transfer the signal to other IR panels, which on their turn simply harvest it... Thus making it possible for devices to "share and distribute" energy as they need it.

Once that IR technology is put in practice I would call that news, as it would actually solve a lot of energy problems... But not this RF gizmo thing...

IMHO

This post was edited on 01-12-2007 at 04:51 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-12-2007 04:20 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: PowerCast : The end of electricy adapters?!
@ cookie..

thanks for the info..

you have any idea if the IR system you're talking about is commercialized? (basically if I can buy it?)
01-12-2007 04:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
Sounds good, though slightly worrying on the whole radiation front :P
[Image: jumbled.png]
01-12-2007 05:45 PM
Chocolatino

Money=Motivation

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
yeah, but i guess it will be controled and safe to some extent.
right ^o)
[Image: untitled2nk3.png]
01-12-2007 06:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Chocolatino
but i guess it will be controled and safe to some extent.
right ^o)

I'd hope so :P
[Image: jumbled.png]
01-12-2007 07:02 PM
Chocolatino

Money=Motivation

30 / Male / Flag
They Have to its just one of those things
01-12-2007 07:20 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: PowerCast : The end of electricy adapters?!
quote:
Originally posted by alby
you have any idea if the IR system you're talking about is commercialized? (basically if I can buy it?)
No. It would still be some time...

quote:
Originally posted by Chocolatino
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
yeah, but i guess it will be controled and safe to some extent. right ^o)
It is totally safe... RF waves are not microwaves for example.

People who are concearned about radiation often confuse and compare these RF waves with microwaves, they are very different. You probably catch more radiation standing in front of a TV all day long than using these RF waves.

.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-12-2007 07:51 PM
Chocolatino

Money=Motivation

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
You probably catch more radiation standing in front of a TV all day long than using these RF waves.

oops 8-)

* Chocolatino turns off tv
01-12-2007 07:53 PM
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: PowerCast : The end of electricy adapters?!
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
You probably catch more radiation standing in front of a TV all day long than using these RF waves.

how about a CRT screen?:embarrassed:

I want an LCD :(
01-14-2007 07:13 AM
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
Well Nicola Tesla was working on this before he died, if he lived to finish his research who knows what might have come out of it...

On a side note, Tesla is considered to be the genius behind the generator (well he provided the fundamental theory linking magnetism and electricity) and is said to be the forefather of modern day Electrical Engineering.

Think about it, if there was no Tesla, we would have a hard time transmitting power to homes.

This post was edited on 01-14-2007 at 07:29 AM by ipab.
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
01-14-2007 07:22 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: