What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Cannot Hide Menu Bar

Cannot Hide Menu Bar
Author: Message:
MJB3K

O.P. Huh?  Cannot Hide Menu Bar
Hi, just recently... dunno if i pressed anything, but the menu bar buttons have disappeared so now i have a massive frame around the conversations and the menu bar as well. It is annoying...

How can i get rid of the menu bar?

[Image: hide_menu_bar.jpg]

There is no button which does this...?

Any ideas??

Thanks
01-13-2007 08:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Cannot Hide Menu Bar
[Image: attachment.php?pid=777863]

.png File Attachment: toolbar.PNG (8.77 KB)
This file has been downloaded 569 time(s).
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
01-13-2007 08:25 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
MJB3K

O.P. RE: Cannot Hide Menu Bar
there isnt a button there that does it...

[Image: hide_menu_bar2.jpg]
01-13-2007 08:47 PM
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
Make sure that the window isn't maximized.
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
01-13-2007 09:17 PM
MJB3K

O.P. RE: Cannot Hide Menu Bar
the problem did fix itself all I did was to uninstall reinstall then shut down, n boot up from fresh.

fixed!
01-14-2007 11:28 AM
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
Tools> Show Toolbars > Standard
01-14-2007 11:33 AM
Thor84

I've got the same bug, the show/hide button simply disappears and the frame is permanently locked on. I don't know what causes it, but I do know that the tools -> show toolbars -> standard thing doesn't work. That button isn't part of the standard toolbar at all (the standard toolbar is below this button which is normally in top right of the window as shown in the second printscreen). I really don't understand this bug, I got it randomly some time ago and couldn't get rid of it for weeks until it randomly disappeared, now I've got it again. It was fine yesterday and as far as I know the only thing I've done different today was inserting my U3 memory stick (surely shouldn't affect messenger) when windows started up and boom, the frames reappear. I've tried reinstalling and it doesn't help, any ideas?

Edit: I should have set my gf at sorting this problem sooner, I've been looking around the web for hours and she finds it in 10 minutes :o Anyway, if others have the same problem this is the solution:

1) Find a computer or a user account where the button displays
2) Open Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (All programs -> Accessories -> System tools)
3) Choose Old computer on the user/computer with the button visible then choose whatever method you prefer to save the settings
4) Choose to save settings only and tick the box to allow you to edit which settings are copied, click next
5) Remove all settings except the one labeled "Accessibility" and continue to save the settings

Get back to the user/computer that doesn't display the picture and then use the wizard to restore the data you saved previously. I don't quite get why this works, there was no visible difference between the accessibility options on the two users, but it still works. I'm attaching the files saved during steps 1-5 for me as they're small and might help if you don't have a second computer/user. I don't know whether it makes any difference, but they were made on xp sp2.

.zip File Attachment: USMT2.UNC.zip (43.77 KB)
This file has been downloaded 143 time(s).

This post was edited on 02-07-2007 at 05:59 PM by Thor84.
02-07-2007 05:01 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
paulp

I found out what was causing the problem on Vista. I had Speech Recognition enabled and when the SR panel was active on the desktop, the menu bar appeared in Messenger (and Live Mail) and couldn't be hidden. If I closed the SR panel on the desktop and closed and opened Messenger, the menu bar was gone.

It appear that on Vista, applications that run on the desktop do something to the way windows appear on certain applications. Grrrrr.
03-17-2007 04:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
brat91

Life is too short to make enemies

32 / Male / –
Heya,

I found somewhere on the net, not sure where though, that the problem can also be solved by opening the magnifier, switching it on, and then back off. As absurd as it may sound, it actually worked for me! =0 btw, im talking about the magnifier under

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Accessibility > Magnifier

It was something like switching it on and back off again, although i don't remember it exactly......

Hope that makes life easier......

~Brat~
03-17-2007 09:52 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: