What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Problem with background changer script

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Problem with background changer script
Author: Message:
Keikonium

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Problem with background changer script
CookieRevised is right, and wrong at the same time. Messenger CAN read .jpg, .png. etc as the background, but the file extension needs to be .gif for it to load.

It doesn't matter if the image is a .png, RENAMED as a .gif, or if the image is a real, true .gif.

BUT messenger can't load a .png (with a .png extension) as the background image.

And as for finding the contact list size, I'd suggest making it the size you want, print screening it, and bringing the print screen into photoshop or something. Then crop out the contact list, and look at the image dimensions. This will give you the contact list size. Altho, making the window bigger/smaller WILL alter your image :P.

EDIT: Oh crap, both answers I just posted were already answered! Oh well, I guess another explanation doesn't hurt :P.

This post was edited on 01-17-2007 at 09:58 AM by Keikonium.
Now Playing:
[image not working] [Image: 87cc21b0.png]
01-17-2007 09:57 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by markee
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I'm sorry to say, but I'm totally correct...
You are correct, however you should have said more explicitly that the file extension needs to be changed to GIF even though it is of a different format (I tested this with a jpg just to confirm).
Jimbodude already said that, explicitly.
And I talked about the format, not the name of the file.
Also, it is already said in extremely many threads (and I do mean many) and posts about this.
Furthermore, everything about lvback.gif (where it is, how to use it, that it must be named like that, that it can be different formats, etc) has already been said extremely many times before in the past (and I mean like in years ago), and repeated over and over again on the forum...

quote:
Originally posted by Keikonium
CookieRevised is right, and wrong at the same time.
What was wrong in what I've said? Where did I said anything about the file name?

-------

I'm sorry to be a bit blunt here, but this is exactly why people should search and/or refer to existing threads instead of repeating things (or at least read what is being said in threads)

And/or posting in the existing threads about certain scripts instead of creating new ones, so stuff doesn't need to be repeated. Because everything said here is already said in the Background Changer thread too...

:/ :(

This post was edited on 01-17-2007 at 10:10 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-17-2007 10:00 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
Wasn't there a Reshack hack to make the space where the background goes smaller for MSN =< 7?

I guess that should still work for WLM.
[Image: 1-0.png]

01-17-2007 10:05 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
MattyRid
Veteran Member

Red Bull Racing Australia

– / Male / Flag
Hate to say it but, I too can confirm that it only uses gifs. And from memory it was written on the messenger says blog that the file had to be lvback.gif

Only thing is I can't seem to find it at the moment but I'm about 100% sure it was posted a few times. I'd have to sit down tomorrow if and when I get a chance to find the blog posts again.
Red Bull Racing Australia - Triple Eight Race Engineering - Holden
01-17-2007 10:09 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
Hate to say it but, I too can confirm that it only uses gifs.
it does not, it supports any format Windows nativly supports...

quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
And from memory it was written on the messenger says blog that the file had to be lvback.gif
but that does not mean the format must be gif though

This post was edited on 01-17-2007 at 10:39 AM by CookieRevised.
01-17-2007 10:11 AM
Keikonium

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Problem with background changer script
quote:
What was wrong in what I've said? Where did I said anything about the file name?

I could ask you the same question. I never mentioned the file name either. I said "It doesn't matter if the image is a .png, RENAMED as a .gif". Renaming the .png extension as a .gif extension. Not the filename ^o). I'm not sure where you got that from lol.

And what you said that was wrong was:

quote:
Absolutely not. It can be any image format which is supported nativly by Windows, which includes: BMPs, DIBs, EMFs, GIFs, ICOs, JPGs, PNGs, RLEs, TIFs, WMFs, etc...

You are right and wrong (like I had said). It CAN be those extensions because yes, it DOES support native windows image formats, but it has to be renamed as a .gif instead of keeping those extensions for messenger to use it as a background.

I urge you to put a lvback.png into your messenger folder and tell me it works. Because it will NOT work. Then take that same file (providing you have known file extensions showing) and rename it to lvback.gif. Then it WILL work.

So what people are confusing is you saying that messenger CAN use .png. And yeah it can... but not AS a .png extension image. It has to be .gif. End of story.

Am I right, or wrong here?
Now Playing:
[image not working] [Image: 87cc21b0.png]
01-17-2007 10:17 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Problem with background changer script
ranting mode on... :P

quote:
quote:
I could ask you the same question. I never mentioned the file name either. I said "It doesn't matter if the image is a .png, RENAMED as a .gif". Renaming the .png extension as a .gif extension. Not the filename ^o). I'm not sure where you got that from lol.
Please read my post again....

Where did I say YOU were wrong???? Or where did I said you didn't explained it correctly????

That post you posted was the first post in this thread of you, so how on earth could I reply on something you wrote after me?

quote:
And what you said that was wrong was:

quote:
Absolutely not. It can be any image format which is supported nativly by Windows, which includes: BMPs, DIBs, EMFs, GIFs, ICOs, JPGs, PNGs, RLEs, TIFs, WMFs, etc...

You are right and wrong (like I had said). It CAN be those extensions because yes, it DOES support native windows image formats, but it has to be renamed as a .gif instead of keeping those extensions for messenger to use it as a background.
Again: please read what I said...

There is absolutely nothing wrong in what I've said:
quote:
"file format" is not "file name".

Again, where did I (ever, in whatever thread) said that the file extension can be something else than GIF?

quote:
I urge you to put a lvback.png into your messenger folder and tell me it works. Because it will NOT work...
Take a look at posts I've made in the past about this. Also a massive major big part of the Background Script has been written by me, especially the code and comments regarding the file formats, I hope/think I can say I know how it works...

^o)8-)

This whole discussion is also extremely useless/stupid. All it takes is a look at the Background Changer thread. And also people shouldn't actually be confussed if they read posts properly, since Jimbodude already said it should be named *.gif and the only thing what was wrong, which I replied upon to correct, was the claim that the format should be gif too...

Thus, if posts are read properly, then there was no need to
a) again explicitly repeat that the name must be *.gif
b) this whole he said/I said discussion...

Also, I ask myself here, who actually tried the Background Changer script, the main and original subject of this whole thread, to actually test all this before making a post?

...ranting mode off  :$

EDIT:
quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
*.gif won't work... it has to be lvback.gif :p
lol, very true though...

This post was edited on 01-17-2007 at 04:57 PM by CookieRevised.
01-17-2007 10:27 AM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Thus, if posts are read properly, then there was no need to
a) again explicitly repeat that the name must be *.gif
b) this whole he said/I said discussion...

*.gif won't work... it has to be lvback.gif :p

* Spunky runs
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
01-17-2007 02:35 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: