What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Error importing scripts' files

Error importing scripts' files
Author: Message:
PhilNelwyn

O.P. Error importing scripts' files
-- The .plsc file type is not associated to MP!L (MPTools.exe ?), even after reinstalling MP!L (and WLM), but the files seem to be correctly extracted from packs. --

When importing any script (.plsc), this error message is displayed :
"An error occured while importing script's files"
(In fact, the message is : "Une erreur est survenue lors de l'importation des fichiers du script"... hope the translation is good  ^^)

At this time, the script doesn't appear in the imported scripts list.
I close and open again WLM, go to the MP!L prefs, and then the script appears in the list, not running.
I get it running, apply changes, close the window, reopen it to be sure the script's running... it is.
But it doesn't work, and its settings window is not available in the MP!L menu of the contact list.

I know well the scripts I try and get working, they used to work perfectly.

Windows XP SP2
WLM 8.0.0812.00
MP!L 4.11.0.254

Thanks beforehand for helping me,
Phil.

This post was edited on 01-16-2007 at 12:09 PM by PhilNelwyn.
01-16-2007 12:08 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: Error importing scripts' files
Could you list the scripts (including link to them) you are trying to import?
[Image: 25dr3o9]
01-16-2007 02:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
PhilNelwyn

O.P. RE: Error importing scripts' files
The error occurs with every script I try and import...
...but the one I WANT to get running (for real  lol) is :

CONVO NOTIFIER

Gratefully,
Phil

This post was edited on 01-16-2007 at 04:16 PM by PhilNelwyn.
01-16-2007 04:12 PM
FineWolf

Space Artist

– / Male / Flag
Try extracting the script manually. To do that, open the plsc file with the ZIP utility of your choice, and then extract all the files found in:

code:
C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Scripts\<filename without .plsc extension>\
[Image: spacesigkj4.png]
01-16-2007 04:26 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by FineWolf
Try extracting the script manually. To do that, open the plsc file with the ZIP utility of your choice, and then extract all the files found in: .....
As good as the intentions are FineWolf, that isn't gonna solve the problem of the files not getting imported.

PhilNelwyn: I tried to import the script you mentioned and it imported fine here (and i could access all its windows). Now what i want you to do is save the script to your computer, rightclick the file and choose "Open with", then select "Messenger Plus! Live Tools" from the list and check the box below to always open these types of files with this program. That should take care of the file association problem and at that possibly the importing problems.

Report back wether or not that fixed it for you.

This post was edited on 01-16-2007 at 05:11 PM by Sunshine.
01-16-2007 05:10 PM
FineWolf

Space Artist

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Error importing scripts' files
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
quote:
Originally posted by FineWolf
Try extracting the script manually. To do that, open the plsc file with the ZIP utility of your choice, and then extract all the files found in: .....
As good as the intentions are FineWolf, that isn't gonna solve the problem of the files not getting imported.

PhilNelwyn: I tried to import the script you mentioned and it imported fine here (and i could access all its windows). Now what i want you to do is save the script to your computer, rightclick the file and choose "Open with", then select "Messenger Plus! Live Tools" from the list and check the box below to always open these types of files with this program. That should take care of the file association problem and at that possibly the importing problems.

Report back wether or not that fixed it for you.

Actually Sunshine, some 64-bits systems have some problems with a few popular zipping libraries due to a few flaws in the code. This results in a few corrupted files. (zlib anyone...)

This post was edited on 01-16-2007 at 05:26 PM by FineWolf.
[Image: spacesigkj4.png]
01-16-2007 05:13 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
PhilNelwyn

To extract files manually is useless, because the only file that can be imported in MP!L is the .plsc pack.
I though tried and replace files in the folder with files extracted manually and then relaunch WLM : nothing changed.

Manual association is not possible : the following message is displayed when "open[ing] with..." MPTools.exe (Messenger Plus! Live Tools) :

"MPTools can only be launched within MessengerPlus!Live"

I wonder if it's not a problem with XML or JAVASCRIPT in WLM...?
I don't know much about it, and about link between WLM and Internet Explorer, but isn't there a way to test XML in Internet Explorer ? (sorry if that's stupid  ^^)

Phil

P.S. : errrr... isn't there a way to associate a type of file with a prog in the registry ?  ...or else ?

This post was edited on 01-16-2007 at 05:55 PM by PhilNelwyn.
01-16-2007 05:51 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Phil,

Is your Windows up to date? To make sure perform a windows update.
01-17-2007 11:35 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by PhilNelwyn
The error occurs with every script I try and import...
...but the one I WANT to get running (for real  lol) is :

CONVO NOTIFIER
Can you attach the script pack which isn't working to a post in this thread. Thus I mean the script pack which you have on your disk, which fails importing.

quote:
When importing any script (.plsc), this error message is displayed :
"An error occured while importing script's files"
(In fact, the message is : "Une erreur est survenue lors de l'importation des fichiers du script"... hope the translation is good  ^^)

At this time, the script doesn't appear in the imported scripts list.
I close and open again WLM, go to the MP!L prefs, and then the script appears in the list, not running.
This can be normal if the script pack got corrupted, or if files inside the script pack are not saved properly in the correct format (or when they got corrupted).

In such cases, Plus! will indeed import the script pack, but say that the script pack is corrupted and thus the script can't be run.

quote:
I get it running, apply changes, close the window, reopen it to be sure the script's running... it is.
But it doesn't work, and its settings window is not available in the MP!L menu of the contact list.
This also indicates the same thing; the files could be corrupted somehow.

What you might wanna try, as experiment, is to close Messenger completely. Then go to the script files (you'll find them in C:\program files\Messenger Plus!Live\Scripts\scriptname) open the individual files one by one in notepad (textfiles, JS files, XML files, anything else, except for DLLs).

Then in notepad you go to "File > Save As". There you make sure the Encoding is set to "Unicode" and then you save the file again, even if it was already in unicode, re-save it. Do this for all the files in the script (except for binary files like DLLs).

When you've done all this report back if the script is now running and working properly...

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Now what i want you to do is save the script to your computer, rightclick the file and choose "Open with", then select "Messenger Plus! Live Tools" from the list and check the box below to always open these types of files with this program. That should take care of the file association problem and at that possibly the importing problems.
Nope, as PhilNelwyn said, this will not make the proper association with MPTools.exe because MPTools.exe expects a parameter as input:

"C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\MPTools.exe" /ImportScript="%1"

By auto-associating with the "Open with..." method, Windows will just create the link:
"C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\MPTools.exe" "%1"

In other words, you must be carefull to use "Open With..." to associate files like that since not all programs simply expect only the filename.

quote:
To extract files manually is useless, because the only file that can be imported in MP!L is the .plsc pack.
This just as a sidenote:

Yes, but importing is actually nothing more than extracting the files to a directory, setting some registry check and run the script.

All this can be done manually by simply manually extracting the script into a directory, restarting Messenger and enabling the script in the Plus! preferences.

quote:
I wonder if it's not a problem with XML or JAVASCRIPT in WLM...?
Scripts do not related to XML or "javascript" in Windows Live Messenger. It is Messenger Plus! which functions as the scripting host. Also the relation between WLM and Internet Explorer has got nothing todo with all this.

PS: it is not Javascript, but JScript, which is very similar and related, though not the same...

quote:
P.S. : errrr... isn't there a way to associate a type of file with a prog in the registry ?
Sunshine already explained one method. Though this method should be used carefully.

A better method if you want to make detailed associates, you need to go to:
    Windows Explorer (or press Win+E as a shortcut) > Tools > Folder options > File types

In there you must select the file extension (if it already exist) or create a new one (if it doesn't already exist).

When the file extension is created, you click on "Advanced" to set the proper actions and links like so:

Title: Messenger Plus! Script Pack
Action: open
Application to open it with:
"C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\MPTools.exe" /ImportScript="%1"
(pay attention to he spaces and the quotes)
("C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live" might of course be different on your computer, so change that accordingly)

But note that there was already a proper file association before you did SunShine's method. Otherwise you would never had that Plus! error either. So the association was not at fault (though, if you used Sunshine's method it might be corrupted now also)...

If you're not comfortable using this manual method, then you also might wanna simply reinstall Messenger Plus! to fix it for you.

As a final thing todo (in this case to try):
a) clear your browser cache
b) restart your browser
c) redownload the script pack
d) re-import the script pack

---------------------------

Can you perform the above actions (1, 3, 5 and 6) one by one and report each time the outcome

This post was edited on 01-17-2007 at 12:28 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-17-2007 12:26 PM
PhilNelwyn

quote:
Phil,

Is your Windows up to date? To make sure perform a windows update.

It is, but...
wooowww... guys, I'm back from hell.     lol
What a night !

First of all : it works.  ^^

Trying and associate .plsc files to MPTools.exe, I noticed that this registry's entry was kind of corrupted... ("Error while opening the key")
And so were...
...errrrr...
...195 others in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

Unable to delete it via regedit, nor to change rights to it though I'm an administrator, I found (in Google I trust... lol) a little prog named IceSword that allowed me to do it.
I deleted every corrupted key, reinstalled WLM and MP!L...

TAAADDDAAAAAAA !   ^^

Thank you guys for your support...

Phil.

P.S. : feel free to ask any question.

edit : thank you CookieRevised, all you said is really interesting.

This post was edited on 01-17-2007 at 12:50 PM by PhilNelwyn.
01-17-2007 12:44 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: