What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » cleaning msn registry

cleaning msn registry
Author: Message:
asairel

-=uNnAmEd W!tCh=-

– / Female / –
O.P. cleaning msn registry
i think sumthing stucked up in my msn thats why it keeps on disconneting my net connection and preventing me to log in specific account or blocking me from talking to my contact..

is there any way wer i can check my registry or clean it up without doin further more damage? i wanna go back in msn!!! >.< pls help.. :(

is uninstalling and reinstalling doesnt making any difference wen it comes to ur registy? :^)

i need help... :S
[Image: ate3fg7.gif]
how do you hold on to someone you've never met?
01-15-2007 10:28 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
RE: cleaning msn registry
If you're afraid of messing up the reg, try uninstalling => C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger => Delete Folder => Reinstall

:) Hope that works
01-16-2007 01:02 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MattyRid
Veteran Member

Red Bull Racing Australia

– / Male / Flag
or you could try CookieRevised's reply to Windows Live Messenger BIG PROBLEM!. It's probably your best bet, but beware, following that solution means you may lose data (E.g Custom Emoticons).

This post was edited on 01-16-2007 at 01:11 AM by MattyRid.
Red Bull Racing Australia - Triple Eight Race Engineering - Holden
01-16-2007 01:10 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
you wont lose custom emotes/ or any other custom stuff if you back them up in the aplicationdata\microsoft\MSN Messenger folder

MSNBackup Tool here

This post was edited on 01-16-2007 at 05:11 AM by Hank.
01-16-2007 04:03 AM
asairel

-=uNnAmEd W!tCh=-

– / Female / –
O.P. RE: cleaning msn registry
i dont mind loosing emoticons coz i have them on my folders :p hmm is it deleting it in C: >programs files>MSN Messenger is different to deleting it to control panel> add/remove> WLM & WLM sign in assitant? i totally deleted all to clean it.. you think something good will came up? ... coz ive been doin all the time the reintalling but this will be the first time il delete all about MSN messenger..

nothing happens.. i was expecting my avatar will get lost and its still there.. this is getting so frustrating... :|

This post was edited on 01-16-2007 at 12:24 PM by asairel.
01-16-2007 12:05 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: cleaning msn registry
quote:
Originally posted by asairel
hmm is it deleting it in C:\programs files\MSN Messenger is different to deleting it to control panel > add/remove > WLM & WLM sign in assitant?
Yes, absolutely...

There is a massive difference between uninstalling an application and just removing the files from the main installation directory.

In most cases an application installs far more things then just some files in some directory under "program files".

Removing the files under "program files" is something you should never do when you want to uninstall an application. You should always uninstall the application by going to 'add/remove programs'.

quote:
i totally deleted all to clean it..
So this is not the proper way to 'clean' it, and it may even render certain applications useless. Fortunatly, for Messenger this isn't the case and you will be able to reinstall Messenger again without any problems. But remember that this is not always the case for other applications.

quote:
you think something good will came up?
No....

In most cases, simply reinstalling Messenger will not solve anything at all. After installing everything of Messenger will still be the same as it was before.

Reinstalling Messenger will only fix something when some registry settings were deleted or when some program files got corrupted due to patching or something.

quote:
nothing happens.. i was expecting my avatar will get lost and its still there.. this is getting so frustrating... :|
There is a new option in Windows Live Messenger which saves your avatar to the MSN servers so that you will always have the same avatar no matter from where you log in. So, this might not have been the best example to show that nothing happened, as it can be quite normal.

----------------------------

if this didn't work:
quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
or you could try CookieRevised's reply to Windows Live Messenger BIG PROBLEM!. It's probably your best bet, but beware, following that solution means you may lose data (E.g Custom Emoticons).
Then the only thing you can do is check your firewall settings or other 3rd party internet security software you have which might prevent proper connection to MSN. If it still doesn't work after that, contact Microsoft and report the problem:

http://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlmessenger

This post was edited on 01-17-2007 at 09:29 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-17-2007 09:20 AM
asairel

-=uNnAmEd W!tCh=-

– / Female / –
O.P. RE: cleaning msn registry
how come i can't delete the folder messenger, it always gives me the warning that it is being use or it is still running but its not..

did it now.. it was the msn.net msgr..

i hope after follwing cookie's advise, i can make this happen :/

This post was edited on 01-20-2007 at 02:04 PM by asairel.
01-20-2007 01:48 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: