What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Handling redundant threads

Handling redundant threads
Author: Message:
Aeryn

– / Female / –
O.P. Handling redundant threads
Okay, I've been meaning to bring this up for some time now and as one more redundant thread has just been posted, I decided to finally do it. And before any of the regular members post, let me say that I'm actually seeking for the opinion of the forum staff. Also, this does not so much concern threads about help with MsgPlus and such, mostly only the ones that would go in GCC.

As far as I see (and please do correct me if I'm wrong), a very common way of dealing with a redundant thread around here is someone posting a link to an existing thread and possibly the redundant topic being moved to T&T, and that's it. But this way discussion goes on in the new thread and the redirects are absolutely useless - no one's going to use the already established thread if the new one can still be used (or, if someone will bump the old thread, then there will be several discussions about the same topic on the first page). So what I think would make more sense would be to redirect such threads (as in, give a link to an existing thread or tell people to search before posting) and then lock them as well, which would actually force the posters to keep the discussion in one thread.

So all in all, I personally think a better policy of handling redundant threads should exist, because right now this area seems to be kinda chaotic. Any thoughts from the staff members?

This post was edited on 01-23-2007 at 03:59 PM by Aeryn.
01-23-2007 03:52 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
plus
Banned

RE: Handling redundant threads
or when you submit a thread it automaticly searchs for a title that is the same or close to) that one then it will come up with the other threads then it will say are you shure you want to post that thread?

This post was edited on 01-23-2007 at 04:32 PM by plus.
01-23-2007 04:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Aeryn

– / Female / –
O.P. RE: RE: Handling redundant threads
quote:
Originally posted by .2007
or when you submit a thread it automaticly searchs for a title that is the same or close to) that one then it will come up with the other threads then it will say are you shure you want to post that thread?

OR, you just use the existing forum search for yourself to make sure that you're not posting a redundant thread. Searching for a pre-existing post is a very common concept in most forums, and I don't think it's too much to ask for a poster to go through this minimal trouble of using the regular forum search.

Anyway, this is not the issue here. The issue is dealing effectively with the redundancy that occurs (and no forum is "perfect", redundancy does occur).

This post was edited on 01-23-2007 at 04:49 PM by Aeryn.
01-23-2007 04:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Lourix

32 / Male / Flag
The problem with the forum search has to be that not many people can be bothered to search an existing thread on the subject, especially new people on the forum. I would suggest a quick search in the future. But this problem has to be sorted somehow.
[Image: 202180054.png]
01-23-2007 05:03 PM
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Lourix
The problem with the forum search has to be that not many people can be bothered to search an existing thread on the subject, especially new people on the forum. I would suggest a quick search in the future. But this problem has to be sorted somehow.
As sad as it sounds with some things i find it difficult to use the Forum Search feature :S
01-23-2007 05:10 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Haz
Okay, I've been meaning to bring this up for some time now and as one more redundant thread has just been posted, I decided to finally do it.
Hmm, I should have closed that thread yesterday. I was busy keeping an eye on lutonsteve2 and didn't take the time to look at the threads segosa linked to.

Sometimes there's a reason why a seemingly redundant thread is left open...

- The existing threads are quite old, like more than 6 months.
- The existing threads are closed.
- The topic is different enough that the discussion wouldn't fit in an existing thread.

quote:
As far as I see (and please do correct me if I'm wrong), a very common way of dealing with a redundant thread around here is someone posting a link to an existing thread and possibly the redundant topic being moved to T&T, and that's it.
When a moderator does that, they're probably not expecting the thread to stay on-topic or active in T&T. Moving it there is basically just a way to give it a "slow death." :P It can still serve the purpose of redirecting the original poster to the existing thread(s), but it will likely be pruned in a few days. Closing the thread is really an afterthought, since it's already in the trash can.

quote:
Originally posted by .2007
I don't really like that idea... it would be a computer's list of guesses based on the words used in the subject field, and therefore unreliable... :^)

quote:
Originally posted by Shadow
As sad as it sounds with some things i find it difficult to use the Forum Search feature :S
You're right, the current search script sucks, and is not easy for inexperienced users to use.
01-23-2007 06:32 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Oxy
Veteran Member

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
You're right, the current search script sucks, and is not easy for inexperienced users to use.

Indeed, when i was new here, the search was so confusing that i decided not to bother. So, making it more simple and/or more obvious it's there will be a big bonus. (y)
[Image: dotlukas.gif]
01-23-2007 06:38 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
Intergrating it into the menu would be pretty easy to do and would be easy and look ok if it is designed nicely

I've got a nice design for sonicsam (for hiw website) after i have done that ill do a mock up of what i mean :)

This post was edited on 01-23-2007 at 06:51 PM by Nathan.
01-23-2007 06:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: