What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Treat the forum like a real community

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
Treat the forum like a real community
Author: Message:
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
RE: Treat the forum like a real community
quote:
Originally posted by atown44
he rep. system only shows necessity in that It would show someone whether or not to trust the poster.

And that is a pretty big deal... I've seen some posts that post the worst 'advice' (if it can be called that) i've ever seen
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
01-24-2007 12:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
i Say We Turn The Rep System off an see how the community goes if it improves or not,, if it doesnt, then turn the rep system back on,
01-24-2007 01:05 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Joe

35 / Other / Flag
O.P. RE: Treat the forum like a real community
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
Originally posted by atown44
he rep. system only shows necessity in that It would show someone whether or not to trust the poster.

And that is a pretty big deal... I've seen some posts that post the worst 'advice' (if it can be called that) i've ever seen
I said it shows necessity. It's good when used the right way, but it can be misunderstood.
[Image: holidayssigei2.jpg]
01-24-2007 01:07 AM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by HSV
i Say We Turn The Rep System off an see how the community goes if it improves or not,, if it doesnt, then turn the rep system back on,
That's not an option. It's been discussed in the past, and the admins decided it was staying. I really don't see how it would help anyway. All of this talk for nothing. A simple reminder from time to time that someone's actions are against the rule (or such), by private message, really should be enough for everything to stop. I don't see how, once again, discussing possible solutions (which, 1. aren't up to you to decide, but the admins. and 2. are a lot less likely to work/happen than simple private messages) is going to solve any problems.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
01-24-2007 02:03 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
its not the reputation system thats the problem, its peoples attitude towards it

not only that, but towards everybody else, nobody seems to just drop issues once they're finished, or give anybody a break

one little slip up and BAM, a ton of people slam down on the person, and CONTINUE to do it, for weeks after. and thats why so meny newbies, look so bad, because everybody just reads what everybody else has said, thinks its valid and then negs then, i think if somebody does something bad. only one person should neg them for that, then let it be... why should somebody be neg by 20 people for 1 little mistake.

if seen on other forums, reputation systems that you can only add a reputation in a post or in a thread, and once somebody else has reped them, then you can't for that post anymore.

i'm not suggesting that modifacation, i'm just suggesting alittle restrant with your reps, negs and pos's
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6656 days, 16 hours, 15 minutes, 37 seconds ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
01-24-2007 04:05 AM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
if seen on other forums, reputation systems that you can only add a reputation in a post or in a thread, and once somebody else has reped them, then you can't for that post anymore.
That's how it was before I rewrote it, and it really sucked. :P

There's a big discussion about it here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=24273 (from 2004).

The latest versions of MyBB now work exactly the same as this board.
01-24-2007 04:14 AM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
Why? My opinion differs.
Reps are for opinions, you may think x of me, so you go and write it,
i see someone that is spamming/offending, i neg rep. Another person sees another spammy post, so they neg rep or pm the person who refuses to change...
01-24-2007 04:16 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
As MenthiX said, is it that time of the year already? :-/
Seriously, these threads come up every 6 months, get some replies about how right the author is, a few promises by spammers saying "we wont do this again" and then finally a few weeks later this thread with a few hundred posts is forgotten.

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
I hate that method!
Leads to mass ganging up and people having thousands of votes. The modifications WDZ made are way better imo :)

IMO the rep system is fine atm. We've gone through this a million times. Stop trying to abuse it and stop cribbing about how you got "unfair reps." Everyone should read the reputation reason guideline and remember it. When voting, remember to keep your votes within the bounds of the rules. If you think a vote you have is against it, PM the guy in return. Don't fight or anything, just a polite question. Doesn't work? PM WDZ.
I think WDZ looks at most (if not all) of the reps some time or the other. I think he must have some sort of "new reps given" page :P
Anyway, you guys need to report a rep to the admins and they'll do the rest :)

Reps aren't your life so move on, please.

This post was edited on 01-24-2007 at 04:43 AM by John Anderton.
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
01-24-2007 04:23 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
If there was someone as equally useful as the reason for the negatives then they would get about the same amount of positive rep for it.  Outstandingly bad and outstandingly good will get you about the same amount of rep IMO, just in different directions and so I see no reason for changes in behavior towards the reputation system.  Furthermore, if you could only give them one rep per post/thread for the person then why wouldn't you just go look at another post of theirs and do it to that one?  It seems a little stupid to me.
[Image: markee.png]
01-24-2007 04:24 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I think he must have some sort of "new reps given" page (Smilie)
I'm  90% sure  he has one... <3 rep deleting...
01-24-2007 04:42 AM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: