What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » maximum duration for events notifications is useless

maximum duration for events notifications is useless
Author: Message:
zdlo

O.P. maximum duration for events notifications is useless
Events notifications has a maximum duration limit of 100 seconds. But the sound won't play that long beacuse it plays as long as the little toaster window stays, and it stays roughly 10 seconds, then fades away. So the exact duration limit is 10 seconds. It is not enough, and setting the maximum limit to 100 seconds make the user trust that it will play that long, but it won't. This is a bug.

There has to be a solution for this; to make it play the sound file for the given time value, whatever happens.

And by the way, 100 seconds limit should be higher. I don't even see a reason to put a limit. It may even be 15 minutes... Why not? Well anyway, it should at least work properly and play the file for 100 seconds.

This post was edited on 01-29-2007 at 03:07 PM by zdlo.
01-29-2007 03:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: maximum duration for events notifications is useless
If you both show a toast and play a sound, it is logical that the sound is only played as long as the toast is shown as they are linked together... This is not a bug.

If you want to play a sound longer than the duration of a toast, then only play a sound and do not show a toast. Or make two independant events.

As for the notifications sounds themselfs: they are meant to be notification sounds, thus short and not the complete version of Mozart's requiem. Although Patchou could increase the (already big) limit.

As for the toasts: note that there is a perfect reason why there should be a limit on the toast duration. Toasts are cued and Plus! toasts will not show when Messenger toasts are shown. If you remove the limit (or set it too high) the toasts will stack up and you will be missing notifications (as they appear out of sight, and other toasts aren't able to show at all...

If you want a toast to be longer visible, the reason is most likely that you're away from the PC for a while. But in that case you should be using the event log, which is the proper way to 'log' such events. Toasts are meant for quickly notifying you when you're working at the PC, not to log events.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-29-2007 07:07 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
zdlo

O.P. RE: maximum duration for events notifications is useless
Oh thank you! So that means I can disable the toast. I don't need a toast to be shown anyway. I just need a sound playing enough long to wake me up! Like an alarm clock, activating when a special someone logs in.

So... What can I do to make the limit longer than 100 secs?
01-30-2007 01:42 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by zdlo
So... What can I do to make the limit longer than 100 secs?
nothing...

That is for Patchou (=creator of Plus!) to change.

However you can write a script to trigger a sound depending on what event you're talking about. And use the PlaySound or even directly some Windows APIs to play the sound.

This post was edited on 01-30-2007 at 05:39 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-30-2007 05:37 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
Hah, I just found this bug and happily this thread thanks to the search function. CookieRevised's explanation is good however the improvement you'll see in the below picture would be good as well. With this improvement, people will not try to set a duration for the sound if they also want a toast shown. If the pop-up notification is checked the duration option will be immediately greyed out and set to 10 sec by default because the duration that toast is visible is 10 seconds.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=881154]

.png File Attachment: maxduration.PNG (38.16 KB)
This file has been downloaded 209 time(s).
01-10-2008 11:06 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: