What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Contact List Clean-Up - 'Blocked You' and remove from list without blocking

Contact List Clean-Up - 'Blocked You' and remove from list without blocking
Author: Message:
tom_taylor

ROM PROVAILS!!!

39 / Male / –
O.P. Contact List Clean-Up - 'Blocked You' and remove from list without blocking
Hiya

I hope my subject of this thread made sence lol

Basically for me the 'Contact List Clean-Up' feature has some features missing.

For instance it would be nice for a column named 'Blocked You' to show if a contact has blocked you who is on your list.

This is useful if your unsure you have been blocked, so then its 'Check mate' and then you can remove that contact name from your list - everyones a winner! ;)

Also when you select the delete button to remove a contact, it also blocks the contact name. Can delete just mean 'Delete' or have a new option JUST to remove that contact from your list.

This would allow that user to get back in touch and then you can re-add them to your list - if required.

Hope these features can be added soon, then i can really sort out my contact list :D

Thanks for your time!

Tom
01-31-2007 12:05 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Weyzza
Veteran Member

SoCal sunset > *

– / Male / –
RE: Contact List Clean-Up - 'Blocked You' and remove from list without blocking
It's still there.

Plus! icon > Contact List Clean-up...
Registered 7640 days, 3 hours, 11 minutes, 8 seconds ago.
Happy Birthday, WDZ

01-31-2007 12:26 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aido727

i agree with the just delete thing but a section for who has blocked you? not possible, never was. there are ways to check if someone has you on their list at all but you can not tell if they are blocking you. if you are blocked you will still show on their list (as they have to have your email somewhere to keep you blocked)
01-31-2007 02:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
you cant show if someone blocked you, but just delete button should be added...

ex: click delete on a contact > dialog:  Would you also like to block this contact?  yes/no
01-31-2007 02:21 AM
tom_taylor

ROM PROVAILS!!!

39 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Contact List Clean-Up - 'Blocked You' and remove from list without blocking
ok fantastic, i think the dialog would be good enough.

just out of interest, why is it not possible to check if a user on your contact list has blocked you??
surley this is possible if you can use online block checkers and other mini apps (and plugins maybe).

another thing would be to remove expired accounts, i've had some contacts on my msn list for 4 years and they must have been deleted from the passport/live service (as you have to login once every 6 months at least). most that must of been expired state that i'm still added to their contacts lists!?

<rant-@-m1cr0soft>
probably the best improvement would be to make WLM 8.1 alot lighter, seems too heavy and even for a 2.2GHz machine with 3GB Ram - shame only microsoft can sort this out :(
</rant-@-m1cr0soft>

cheers!

This post was edited on 01-31-2007 at 04:21 PM by tom_taylor.
01-31-2007 04:19 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Contact List Clean-Up - 'Blocked You' and remove from list without blocking
quote:
Originally posted by tom_taylor
just out of interest, why is it not possible to check if a user on your contact list has blocked you??
surley this is possible if you can use online block checkers and other mini apps (and plugins maybe).
The point is that those "online block checkers and other apps" do not work either.

See:
Block checkers DO NOT work
and a massive amount of other threads since a few years...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-31-2007 11:30 PM
aido727

the reason there is nothing that works is becuase its NOT POSSIBLE. if someone has blocked you there is no signal sent to your account to say so, you only recieve the signal to say you are on their contact list and you never recieve any signal that they are online, it is technically IMPOSSIBLE.

try using a second account, if they are online on one and no the other, then your blocked. there are also a few pages on the internet somewhere that you enter an email address and it can tell you if that address is online currently (but this doesnt work if that person doesnt allow people not on their list to view their status)
02-01-2007 12:40 AM
tom_taylor

ROM PROVAILS!!!

39 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Contact List Clean-Up - 'Blocked You' and remove from list without blocking
ahhh i see now, so those block checkers must of been pretty bogus, or they used another random account (of which the site owns) to see if that person is online!

not too fused about people blocking me, but if they've blocked me for what ever reason, id rather remove them from my list AND doing so with the plus extension which would be more convenient.

suppose this could be included though, Patchou to setup random accounts just to check if someone is online or not through the plus extension!?

it could use 3 different accounts at least, and work out the average to see if they are online or not. that way it'll remove a random account if people get wise to this and block it manually to stop detection.

a reckon its possible to do, would be worth trying it out and see how it goes!

also if their would be a problem with Patchou using too many accounts, let users create a new random account which the plus extension will use for block checking. this method will probably work better, as that random account will be different for each user and would be harder to detect if people dont want to be found out blocking that contact.

bit of a mouthful but am sure you all get the idea! :D

This post was edited on 02-02-2007 at 03:30 PM by tom_taylor.
02-01-2007 09:11 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
creating new (random) accounts is not going to work.

Not only will it put more strain on the network, it simply is useless. They all will return the same thing too. It is not like when using one account it will report A and the other will report B; you can't take an average.

The point is that block checking does not work in general. This is because there is no way to detect if the user has ticked "don't allow people not on my list to view my status". Hence there is no reliable way to detect if you are blocked or not. A random account isn't going to help with that at all...

It is not possible.

.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-12-2007 11:18 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: