What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Access Denied on some/many shared files when viewing them from another computer

Access Denied on some/many shared files when viewing them from another computer
Author: Message:
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. Access Denied on some/many shared files when viewing them from another computer
Host Computer: Windows XP Professional SP2 with latest updates (well, almost latest, I just need to install some updates, probably unrelated with networking.) (I had the same problem with Professional SP1)
Client Computers tested: Windows XP Home Edition SP1, Windows XP Professional SP2, Windows Vista Ultimate Build 6000.

All client computers have the same problem: Certain files (mostly EXEs, but I have seen it happen with other files too) can't be accessed by the other computers.
It just says "Access is denied."

I have set full permissions on the shared folder from the host computer.
I have also tried disabling SFS (Simple File Sharing) and set full permissions for every user there, but it still doesn't work.

I can access the file though when I move/copy it to the root of the shared directory (the non-accessible files where in subfolders of the shared folder).
However, i have seen this happen with files that are in the root of the directory...

Anybody knows a permanent fix or what causes this?
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
02-03-2007 03:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Adeptus

RE: Access Denied on some/many shared files when viewing them from another computer
I suspect that you are having trouble with the way Windows handles NTFS permissions when you move files.  Permissions on an object (folder or file) are inherited from the parent folder when the file is created.  However, when an existing file is moved to a different folder on the same volume, the original permissions are retained.  Your files were probably originally created in a folder with more restrictive permissions (perhaps under "My Documents"), then moved to the shared folder.  That could result in the problem you describe.

With Simple File Sharing disabled, you can quickly fix it by resetting the permissions.  Right click the shared folder, Properties, Security tab, Advanced, tick the box to "Replace permission entries on all child objects..." and Apply.  You will be prompted to confirm and permissions on everything in the folder will be reset.

If you wish to change how Windows Explorer handles permissions when moving files, so that you don't keep running into this problem in the future, you can apply the second registry change described in this article

This post was edited on 02-03-2007 at 04:20 PM by Adeptus.
02-03-2007 04:18 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Access Denied on some/many shared files when viewing them from another computer
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
With Simple File Sharing disabled, you can quickly fix it by resetting the permissions.  Right click the shared folder, Properties, Security tab, Advanced, tick the box to "Replace permission entries on all child objects..." and Apply.  You will be prompted to confirm and permissions on everything in the folder will be reset.
Thanks, that did the trick :)

The weird thing is that these file were downloaded over the internet using Firefox.
Afaik, Firefox downloads the file first in the temp directory and when it finishes it moves it to the directory you have chosen.

If my %temp% directory was restrictive, wouldn't all the files downloaded from firefox be set with those permissions?
Why were some files still accessible?
I don't remember downloading them and then moving them to that directory... :-/

Anyway, thanks for the help :)
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
02-03-2007 04:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: