What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Windows Live OneCare removed Plus! files

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Windows Live OneCare removed Plus! files
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Windows Live OneCare removed Plus! files
I have installed Windows Live Toolbar and from  a button on it I started Windows Live OneCare to scan my computer. However after the scan it has removed many files including some .dll files and Log Viewer file and also all language files except used one for Plus!, from Messenger Plus! Live folder in Program Files folder. I have used System Recovery and I could save my files and suggest to you not to have a system scan with OneCare with default options checked.

This post was edited on 02-27-2007 at 11:25 PM by WDZ.
02-10-2007 05:17 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
MattyDunn

30 / Male / –
RE: Don't use Windows Live OneCare
I personally have no problem with Windows Live OneCare   Ive been usin it for about 4 months and when I do a scan it dusnt remove anythin like .dlls
02-10-2007 07:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
You should be able to tell Onecare to ignore Messenger Plus!. I know you can with Windows Defender.

Yes, I've finally installed Vista successfully!
[Image: spartaafk.png]
02-11-2007 12:29 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
I have installed Windows Live Toolbar and from  a button on it I started Windows Live OneCare to scan my computer. However after the scan it has removed many files including some .dll files and Log Viewer file and also all language files except used one for Plus!, from Messenger Plus! Live folder in Program Files folder. I have used System Recovery and I could save my files and suggest to you not to have a system scan with OneCare with default options checked.
The bottom line is NEVER EVER use a program like anti-virusses and other tools which might remove files or change settings WITHOUT EXACTLY knowing what EACH option does!

There is absolutely nothing wrong in using anti-virusses, tweakers, recover programs, compressors, etc., UNLESS you do not know what they will do.

Aka: don't press on any button like a blind man without first reading...

Also, System recovery is NOT a backup/restore program. Do not use it for things like this. If files of Plus! are removed, reinstall them properly. System Recovery is for recovering from a heavy major system fault so you can get access again to Windows or whatever. It should not be used as a backup/restore tool since it will overwrite important system files also with older files!

;)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-11-2007 08:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
superjugy

I'm MegaMan Master, see my website!!

35 / Male / Flag
The other leson here is, never use any program microsoft does that any other company could do better, for example, firewalls, antivirus, music players, etc... i would say browser but actually i do prefer IE than FF, but w/e
02-23-2007 01:36 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Salem

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Don't use Windows Live OneCare
quote:
Originally posted by MattyDunn
I personally have no problem with Windows Live OneCare   Ive been usin it for about 4 months and when I do a scan it dusnt remove anythin like .dlls

YEp, same here. Used OneCare for a while now and never had any problems.
[Image: salem874.smart.jpg][Image: card.png]
Was i Helpful?[/url]
02-26-2007 01:50 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
joemailey

38 / Male / –
RE: RE: Don't use Windows Live OneCare
quote:
Originally posted by superjugy
The other leson here is, never use any program microsoft does that any other company could do better, for example, firewalls, antivirus, music players, etc... i would say browser but actually i do prefer IE than FF, but w/e

Why OneCare runs prefectly well, Infact i like OneCare that much i actually paid for it :O

Everything in one location. Is prefect for me. :-) it covers my 3pcs aswel for one subscription all good in my book.

I use to use AVG free(i still rate as best free anti virus and i install it on all PCs i build/set up for people)

Firewalls? i don't use one. Since SP2 for XP i ain't needed one.

Im currently on vista ultimate on my laptop and My Main Pc. Other PC is too slow to handle it.

Still i use built in firewall with no issue's what so ever.

But then i am trained on Most M$ software. so i no how to configure it to my liking and not use it wrong. :-)
02-26-2007 07:35 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
Unfortunately no x64 support as of yet, but i did like it on XP 32, it was nice to know that i had one app to 'take care' of my system, also many users will find the backup features new and interesting.

My only gripes with onecare on xp were that when it found a nasty it wouldn't tell me more information about it or let me view it's folder location (co-incidentally it never actually removed it properly kept coming back yet no other AV's or AS's picked it up), this may have just been a one off, an error, a false positive or a known issue

NOT that my last paragraph should put you off using it, its a great first time effort from Microsoft, and I'm sure it will prove to be successful as more and more people visits the shops to buy a new computer and software, I was really impressed to see a good Microsoft Software display in some shops in the UK easily listing the differences between Vista Versions, Office 2007 versions and also having OneCare in the same display, Struck me as an easy to understand All-in-one Start up selection for a brand new PC :)
lets hope 1.6 < includes x64 support :)
02-26-2007 08:54 PM
joemailey

38 / Male / –
it wouldn't tell me more information about it or let me view it's folder location

^^ if u click the more option or advanced it lets you see. something along those lines i cant remember only thing it picks up is plus installers i set it to ignore always it doesnt come back.
02-26-2007 09:29 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
yeah i remember it picked up my plus too and i saw the location but this one nasty it didn't kept saying it had removed ti but it'd be back whenever it scanned the next time :P
02-27-2007 10:41 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: