What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Scripting Bugs...

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Scripting Bugs...
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Scripting Bugs...
Ah, thanks.....

but
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
For scripts, the problem shouldn't be that big... if you have the email of a contact, you got it from somewhere and this somewhere will generally be a Contact object that has the Network property.
Yes, but the problem in many (if not all?) scripts dealing with emails is that quite often the email is stored somewhere in a variable or used as id and by the time it is checked upon again, the object is already long gone.

Aka: I haven't seen a single script (yet) which also stores the network together with the email...

PS: additional question which I can't check upon: can you send files from MSNMSGR to YIM?

This post was edited on 12-15-2006 at 06:19 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-15-2006 06:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
no idea about sending files, never tried... I'd guess so?

As for storing the network, that's true and that's also why I just fixed the two functions above to automatically take care of it whenever possible. I'll update the doc to specify that in case of doubt, Network should be checked and "yahoo:" should be added in front of the email for future reference, if you want to be 100% absolutely sure you always refer to the proper contact.
[Image: signature2.gif]
12-15-2006 06:23 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
no idea about sending files, never tried... I'd guess so?
just tested it, apparently not... neither vice versa...

quote:

As for storing the network, that's true and that's also why I just fixed the two functions above to automatically take care of it whenever possible. I'll update the doc to specify that in case of doubt, Network should be checked and "yahoo:" should be added in front of the email for future reference, if you want to be 100% absolutely sure you always refer to the proper contact.
Though this will 'break' stuff in a similar fashion actually...

eg: I have a function which does something to contacts, I get the email from an event so it will always be prefixed or not, according to the network.

But when I use GetContact(sEmail) with this correctly formatted email (not prefixed for msn network), it might return a yahoo contact nevertheless...

This means that all scripts using something like this are again buggy... (which can be fixed of course, but nevertheless something for script developpers to watch out for...)

This post was edited on 12-15-2006 at 11:27 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-15-2006 09:57 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
well no... as I said, no prefix = msn by default so using GetContact() by using a "yahoo:" prefix for Yahoo contacts or nothing for msn contacts will always work as intended.
[Image: signature2.gif]
12-16-2006 12:35 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
Bump!

The Plus! commands which can be used with contact parameters like /block <contact's email> cannot be used for Yahoo! contacts unless you prefix the email with yahoo: . I know if there are two contacts from different networks then Plus! cannot know which one user is refering to. So it must display the "Choose a contact" window to let the user to choose one, otherwise it must do the action with the unique contact with that email address without asking anything.

Also in contact lists of Messenger Plus! windows like Contact List Clean-Up or Contacts on Desktop, when you sort the list by e-mail addresses, the Yahoo! contacts appears in between Z & W which led me to think Plus! cannot handle Yahoo! contacts at first when I was looking for one Yahoo! contact with address starting with "A".

This post was edited on 10-29-2008 at 11:22 PM by ahmetgns.
10-29-2008 11:20 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: