What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » RemoteControlling my PC, need help please

RemoteControlling my PC, need help please
Author: Message:
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Huh?  RemoteControlling my PC, need help please
Story so far:

(y) Vista Ultimate x64 running nicely
(y) Can remote control from within wireless network (at home so don't really need to bother)
(y) installed No-ip dynamic IP software got all the working lovely linking to my IP (goes to router's homepage)

How do I now get a connection to my comp's network IP?

basically i wanna use a decent computer (mine) whilst at college and so far can only get to my router any ideas?

I've tried plonking my IP identifer number at the end of address eg 123.456.789.4 wondered if anyone had any ideas or solutions :)

Also what TV Tuners Would you guys recommend?
Only ones i can see in local shops are USB digital TV tuners, i dunno whether to get one of them or a card, i'd prefer a card i think so what ones can people recommend that work with x64 vista?

This post was edited on 02-13-2007 at 04:47 PM by aNILEator.
02-13-2007 04:41 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Adeptus

RE: RemoteControlling my PC, need help please
Assuming you are talking about Remote Desktop, you need to forward port 3389 on your router, to the PC you wish to connect to.

http://portforward.com/ has instructions for port forwarding on many different routers, should you require them.
02-13-2007 04:52 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RemoteControlling my PC, need help please
yes talking about remote desktop.

i've forwarded it, so now i just try connecting to my dynamicip.no-ip.com? becsue so far it's just trying to connect or rather the orange bar just revolves around and doing domain.no-ip.com:3389 generates a no no message lol

This post was edited on 02-13-2007 at 07:32 PM by aNILEator.
02-13-2007 07:31 PM
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
i've forwarded it, so now i just try connecting to my dynamicip.no-ip.com?
Yes, however, if you are at home now, it may not work for a different reason (loopback translation is broken on more consumer grade routers than not).  It not working from the "inside" network doesn't prove it doesn't work.

If you want, you can PM me you hostname or IP address and I can tell you whether I can get to a logon screen from here.  If you can connect to some other network to test (e.g. open WiFi), that should be fine too.

This post was edited on 02-13-2007 at 07:56 PM by Adeptus.
02-13-2007 07:50 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RemoteControlling my PC, need help please
nah i don't like the idea of signing up to something :P

probably uses java or something i guess, that is blocked at colelge and not many people have java installed. I don't trust it tbh

-----------------------------------------------

oh btw i got it all working now according to adeptus :)

This post was edited on 02-14-2007 at 06:24 PM by aNILEator.
02-14-2007 06:23 PM
scott2010_h

32 / Male / Flag
I stopped using LogMeIn and i switched to Hidden Administrator. After that to get my ip i got UpdateIp. Both are very easy to use and operate and all you have to do is set a few settings and configure your router to port forward 3128 to the specified computer and your good to go!(Took me 15 minutes to set it all up! :) )

This post was edited on 02-16-2007 at 03:26 AM by scott2010_h.
02-16-2007 03:24 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
why are you all using crappy two bit remoting software when remote desktop has come built in to windows since XP :p
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
02-16-2007 03:28 AM
Woraug

A Credit to Dementia

36 / Male / –
Sorry for the thread hijack, but my problem is related.  Since remote desktop and remote assistance don't work for me, I've installed PC Anywhere.  I just don't know what the hell to do with it.  I basically just wanna set it up so I can access my own machine from anywhere.  I didn't find much help on the PC Anywhere site though.  Anyone got a walkthrough?
[Image: Sentinel.png]
02-17-2007 02:43 AM
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by Woraug
Since remote desktop and remote assistance don't work for me, I've installed PC Anywhere.  I just don't know what the hell to do with it.  I basically just wanna set it up so I can access my own machine from anywhere.  I didn't find much help on the PC Anywhere site though.
It has been a few years since I've used pcAnywhere, so this is not going to be terribly detailed -- the basic idea is you need to install the software on both computers,  then start pcAnywhere in host mode on one, in client mode on the other.  There is an option to have it start in host mode automatically and accept connections when Windows starts.  You will also have to set a username and password, separate from Windows username and password.  Overall, it is more complicated and more trouble than Remote Desktop.

If you couldn't make Remote Desktop work, it was most likely because you didn't open/forward port 3389 correctly on your firewall or router.  You need to forward ports for pcAnywhere as well (5631, 5632 by default), so you may be better off just taking the time to figure out what the problem was with RD.

For the second time in this thread, let me emphasize that you should not rely on testing anything involving port forwarding from another computer on your own local network -- that often won't work for other reasons.  Have someone else test it for you.
02-17-2007 05:11 AM
alewington

!._.!

– / Male / –
try tight vnc.. i have been using it for years.. i recon it is the greatest program EVER!! and its free. http://www.tightvnc.com

and if you want to remote control it through the internet i would recomend logmein. its like gotomypc but there is a remote control only thingo on it thats free. http://www.logmein.com
02-17-2007 10:18 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: