What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Meningitis

Meningitis
Author: Message:
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Undecided  Meningitis
Yesterday was my last day in school, and to celebrate the that the whole class was going on a two-day cruise to Sweden and back. However, one of my classmates, a guy liked my all of the class, really friendly and talented, got a high fever on Wednesday and chose to stay home so that he could get better, as he was planning on going for a one-week skiing holiday tonight. This morning, on the second day of the cruise, one of my classmates had been in touch with the guys parents, and they said he had meningitis (for those too lazy to read, it's a inflammation in a part of the brain). He was lying on the bed unresponsive to everything, eyes looking really strange, and he was rushed to hospital, where he was put to sleep. They were going to try to wake him up tonight. The whole class was very shocked when we heard about it.
I've read and heard that there are two types of meningitis, one that is caused by a virus and one caused by bacteria. The one caused by the virus is more common and it doesn't have that severe consequences. The one caused by bacteria is, however, really dangerous and even with good and fast treatment the person can die from it. So, I'm worried about him having the version caused by bacteria, as the symptoms he had seemed really bad.
I don't really know why I wrote this, I guess it was to get it off my chest. Another one in our class had meningitis caused by virus a few years back, and even if it wasn't anything severe (he had troubles moving his head around) he couldn't do anything for a month (he couldn't even come to school by doctor's orders). Does anyone of you have any experiences with this? The thing I would most want to hear is about people surviving the disease caused by bacteria. The bottom line is I'm really worried until I know anything more.
[Image: signature.php]
02-16-2007 07:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ayjay

– / Male / Flag
RE: Meningitis
My mum had meningitis as a child, as did a maths teacher at school a few years ago. Both survived (well, obviously my mum did :P). Unsure as to which type either of them were.

Hope your friend's alright, it seems he was diagnosed and treated pretty quickly.
02-16-2007 08:00 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Weyzza
Veteran Member

SoCal sunset > *

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
The thing I would most want to hear is about people surviving the disease caused by bacteria.
One of meningococcal survivors.

I hope he gets well soon.
Registered 7637 days, 17 hours, 20 minutes, 51 seconds ago.
Happy Birthday, WDZ

02-16-2007 08:06 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

I hope he gets well soon mate, my brother had meningitis when he was a baby and almost died. Do you not have vaccinations for meningitis where you live? A load of people seem to be getting it, so you should, I know it's impossible to do anything about that but I'm just saying.

He should be fine, the worst part is having to have the injection in the base of his spine, it's supposed to one of the most painful injections to have. But just be optimistic about it, he'll be fine :). Just a little traumatised.
02-17-2007 08:38 AM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Meningitis
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I hope he gets well soon mate, my brother had meningitis when he was a baby and almost died. Do you not have vaccinations for meningitis where you live? A load of people seem to be getting it, so you should, I know it's impossible to do anything about that but I'm just saying.

He should be fine, the worst part is having to have the injection in the base of his spine, it's supposed to one of the most painful injections to have. But just be optimistic about it, he'll be fine :). Just a little traumatised.

We do have vaccinations, but they don't work in all cases (it's hard to be fully protected against a virus, as they mutate so that you would need a new vaccine often, where bacteria remain more or less the same to one vaccine is enough for that). I heard about the injection to the spine, doesn't sound like a lot of fun. I'll know more today I hope.
[Image: signature.php]
02-17-2007 09:00 AM
Vimto

In and Out

32 / Female / Flag
I'm really sorry that this has happened to your friend :sad: try not to think of the worst or get upset because it will probably work out ok.
My friend Jules had meningitis caused by a virus and all of his muscles in his face didn't work for a couple of months but then after that he was fine he was jus put on medication and stuff I think, but the important part is that hes fine now ¬_¬ A little too fine actually, he tried to pick me up and throw me over the banister in school ¬_¬
Hope you get good news tonight, try not to worry, I know its bound to be hard but try.
And when your heart begins to bleed, your dead
and dead and dead indeed.
02-17-2007 12:49 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
I hope he gets better!. :)
Odd enouggh nobody in our local area has been stroken by meningtis. :/
Well, I hope he'll get better. :)
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
02-17-2007 12:57 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Exca

Not illiteral, just ignoring you

36 / Male / –
I guess he'll be fine. A friend of mine's girlfriend had had it. She was in a coma for a few days, missed her finals etc...
At last she woke up and she was all right. Cured completely now.
But that is my opinion!

[Image: djexcaround.gif]
02-17-2007 12:58 PM
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
I Wish him the best.
02-17-2007 03:10 PM
High Speed Chaser

Don't mess with the Wambulance!

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Meningitis
quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I heard about the injection to the spine, doesn't sound like a lot of fun. I'll know more today I hope.

If you mean Lumber puncture (which I think you do) I have had 11 for a different condition* and your right even with all the drugs I had it was still very painful

[list=1]
[*]viral and bacterial meningitis
[*]As treatment, to lower the pressure of the spinal fluid
[/list]

Source
http://www.answers.com/topic/lumbar-puncture

anyway I hope he gets better quickly

* benign intracranial hypertension (BIH) http://www.answers.com/topic/idiopathic-intracranial-hypertension

This post was edited on 02-17-2007 at 11:40 PM by High Speed Chaser.
If only I knew what I should put here
02-17-2007 11:35 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: