What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Read if you own a domain at registerfly.com

Read if you own a domain at registerfly.com
Author: Message:
Adeptus

O.P. Read if you own a domain at registerfly.com
While this is certainly not a news syndication forum, I think this is serious enough to warrant a mention.  If you own any domains registered with registerfly.com, you may be running a risk of losing those domains permanently if you do not act now.

To make a long story short, until recently, RegisterFly was a reseller of registrations through eNom, an accredited registrar.  Recently, RegisterFly became an accredited registrar itself.  Depending on when your domains were registered or last renewed, and which TLD they are under, they may in reality be registered either ENOM or RegisterFly itself.

eNom and RegisterFly are parting ways and it's not pretty.   According to eNom, if you own an eNom-registered domain through RegisterFly you have until March 9th to either transfer it to RegisterFly, somewhere else, or make an eNom account and have it pushed there.  After March 9th, they claim your only option will be to let it expire and hope you can re-register.  eNom has a FAQ about this.

How to tell whether you have a problem:  use anything that shows WHOIS data.  If it reads "Registrar:eNom, Inc.", you have a problem.  If it shows "RegisterFly.com, Inc." you don't.

What to do if you have a problem: there are several options.  In my opinion, the best option is to contact eNom, prove your ownership of the domain (they require a browser screenshot of your logged in account at registerfly.com and a photo ID) and have it pushed to an eNom account.  You can later transfer it somewhere else.  RegisterFly wants you to try to transfer to them, right now, but I have some doubts about how reliable it is, given RegisterFly's own management features are currently malfunctioning for the eNom domains and you can't even get the EPP code.  That gets us to the third choice, transfering to a third registrar -- I would consider that a suicide option.  Get it right with one of the two already involved, then transfer it elsewhere if you want to.

I should note that RegisterFly is a complete chaos at the moment, with its CEO terminated and sued by the board.  You are better off pursuing resolution with eNom for any domains still registered with them, and you are better off transfering your other RegisterFly domains somewhere else.

I hope someone finds this useful.  Good luck -- you will need it.
02-20-2007 02:38 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: