What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Machine to create new universes

Pages: (7): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
Machine to create new universes
Author: Message:
foaly

38 / Male / Flag
RE: Machine to create new universes
quote:
Originally posted by haydn
Not sure how well you heard the news, but wasn't the machine intended to create a black hole, and not another Big Bang?

Hypothetically if it were a new Big Bang it wouldn't automatically create another Earth, that's just ludicrous that everything would work exactly such as the 'real' big bang and create a universe exactly the same.

The big bang came out of nowhere so by making particles moves as fast as light... (which photons already do by themselfs...) you can never create a similar big bang...
03-01-2007 04:18 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
It wasn't to recreate the big bang ¬¬

And like haydn said, a 'new Earth' wouldn't be formed, at least not for definite!

I read in a magazine(BBC Focus) that they're going to use the same(or similar) machine(proton accelerator?) to try and create a baby universe branching off from our one. By blasting some form of external energy source at a magnetic monopole which would create a tiny black hole, a new universe is formed at the same time. The back hole would then evaporate(due to quantum effects) leaving an eternally expanding baby universe.

It was something like that anyway ;p

This post was edited on 03-01-2007 at 05:09 PM by vaccination.
[Image: jumbled.png]
03-01-2007 05:01 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6402493.stm

is that the machine? this thread reminded me of the article. is that what your talking about?

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
03-01-2007 05:15 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Zahid™

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by M73A
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6402493.stm

is that the machine? this thread reminded me of the article. is that what your talking about?
Yeh, thats what we're talking about and i already linked to that article.
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=72...d=794369#pid794369
[Image: Zahid.png]
03-01-2007 07:41 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
but why would you want to? humans are never happy with what we have, everything has to be better and bigger (or smaller in this case).
i know its partly due to natural instict to survive and pass on our genes and evolve but i think we're smart enough to realise that we're not helping ourselves by evolving thus polltuing the environment and killing everything (including us) all around the world. i dont think we need to know what the world was like billions of years ago, its just curiosity thats gone too far. and instead of spending millions/billions on doing things like this, we could use it to help bring the world back to where it was before we messed everything up.

*ICD inhales deeply* =)

Break my heart all you want, i'm on the NHS.
ever wondered what it's like to ejaculate through your ears...? ;o
03-02-2007 10:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by q25
quote:
Originally posted by Baggins
I thought, how big? The BB even on a smaller scale could blow up the earth.

EDIT: someone mind explaining why we thought it was impossbe for something to go faster than the speed of light?

Because when the speed of light is surpassed a huge wave sound is made.. feels pretty much like an earthquake mixed with a tornado.. but its not "impossible" to go faster than speed of light.
You've got to be kidding me :-/
That is the sound barrier ffs not the "light barrier" (velocity c in lame terms :P)
As you approach c (the speed of light), matter starts getting converted into energy. And there is a certain equation by Einstein which gives mass of a body at the speed of light. m(at v) is m0 (mass at rest)/(square root of a term)
It shows bodies can't go faster than the speed of light. And that equation is the reason.
The square root term is something like sqrt(1-v/c)
where c = speed of light and v = the bodies' velocity.
If c<v, sqrt is positive and mass is finite. For most velocities humans travel at, v<<<c so v/c~0 (approximately equal to zero)
Hence m is almost equal to m0.
As v->c (tends to), v/c -> 1 and we get m(v) > m(0)
If you take v=c, m(c)=inf.

Thus it is said that mass gets converted to energy (dunno why mass increases though :-/)
If you think of v>c, your mass becomes an imaginary term :o haxx

Anyway, there are particles which are known to travel faster than light :P Wiki ftw :)

EDIT: Dodgy (c) :P

This post was edited on 03-02-2007 at 11:39 AM by John Anderton.
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
03-02-2007 11:38 AM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
It is impossible to go faster than the speed of light, because there is a thing called time dilation, where the faster you go, the slower time travels (for you personally).

The equation is:

t = to/sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2)

where t is the slower time (i.e. the time that someone not moving would measure you going) and to is the speed that the person moving really fast experiences.

v is the speed you are going, and c is the speed of light.

if v is greater than c, then 1 - v^2/c^2 would equal a negative number, and you can't square root a negative number, well, you can but you get infinity as the answer.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
03-02-2007 07:09 PM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
quote:
EDIT: someone mind explaining why we thought it was impossbe for something to go faster than the speed of light?

Actually the same was thought of the speed of sound too... All these equations saying it's impossible supports the fact that you CANNOT move faster than the speed of light... BUT.. if there are aliens *which I believe, but not completely*, They must move faster than the speed of light to get here I'm sure... it's just a matter of getting the technology to be able to handle the kinds of things that happen.

Just like with sound... you CANNOT go faster than the speed of sound with a propeller driven aircraft... It's impossible to control it. You can travel faster than sound in it, but not survive it. Same is probably true with light...

Science video last year, dealt with speed of sound/light and Einstein's theories.
03-02-2007 10:13 PM
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
Originally posted by q25
quote:
I thought, how big? The BB even on a smaller scale could blow up the earth.

Because when the speed of light is surpassed a huge wave sound is made.. feels pretty much like an earthquake mixed with a tornado.. but its not "impossible" to go faster than speed of light.
You've got to be kidding me :-/
That is the sound barrier ffs not the "light barrier" (velocity c in lame terms :P)
As you approach c (the speed of light), matter starts getting converted into energy. And there is a certain equation by Einstein which gives mass of a body at the speed of light. m(at v) is m0 (mass at rest)/(square root of a term)
It shows bodies can't go faster than the speed of light. And that equation is the reason.
The square root term is something like sqrt(1-v/c)
where c = speed of light and v = the bodies' velocity.
If c<v, sqrt is positive and mass is finite. For most velocities humans travel at, v<<<c so v/c~0 (approximately equal to zero)
Hence m is almost equal to m0.
As v->c (tends to), v/c -> 1 and we get m(v) > m(0)
If you take v=c, m(c)=inf.

Thus it is said that mass gets converted to energy (dunno why mass increases though :-/)
If you think of v>c, your mass becomes an imaginary term :o haxx

Anyway, there are particles which are known to travel faster than light :P Wiki ftw :)

EDIT: Dodgy (c) :P

I'm sorry.., I confused the terms :p
[Image: sigxmascopy.png]
03-02-2007 10:31 PM
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
so star trek have been wrong the whole time then.... :tongue:

This post was edited on 03-03-2007 at 11:01 AM by joey.

Break my heart all you want, i'm on the NHS.
ever wondered what it's like to ejaculate through your ears...? ;o
03-03-2007 10:58 AM
Pages: (7): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: