What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Portable Messenger Plus Anyone?

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
Portable Messenger Plus Anyone?
Author: Message:
Ehtyar

O.P. RE: Portable Messenger Plus Anyone?
Hi again all.
I've had thinstalled msn 8 for a while now, and I've decided to try Messenger Plus portable again. I have added Messenger Plus to the thinstall environment but i get the "software not loaded" menu item. I hate to say it but this really is monumentally unhelpful. Is there any error log i can look at, or does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be preventing Messenger Plus from loading under thinstall (a dll injection issue perhaps, given that msn is now all in one executable?)?. Any help anyone can offer me would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Ehtyar.
11-05-2007 11:47 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Portable Messenger Plus Anyone?
I believe that MsgPlus Live modifies msimg32.dll in your Windows Live Messenger directory, or does something regarding that particular DLL (I'm not so good at this whole hooking thing :P). This could be your problem as everything is compressed into a single executable.

You should probably wait for someone with more experience in the field though.

This post was edited on 11-05-2007 at 01:01 PM by Volv.
11-05-2007 01:01 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Ehtyar

O.P. RE: RE: Portable Messenger Plus Anyone?
quote:
Originally posted by Volv
I believe that MsgPlus Live modifies msimg32.dll in your Windows Live Messenger directory, or does something regarding that particular DLL (I'm not so good at this whole hooking thing :P). This could be your problem as everything is compressed into a single executable.

You should probably wait for someone with more experience in the field though.
Indeed you are correct, msimg32.dll is the msgplus loader. While this is helpful information it does not help me with my problem. Thank you for your help Volv. Any more information is appreciated.

Thanks, Ehtyar.
11-05-2007 07:52 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
can you tell me more about what you're using for this and what you're doing exactly? I'll work on that and check if I can make it work for the next version.

Please email me at mplus-support@patchou.com . Thanks :).
[Image: signature2.gif]
11-05-2007 08:24 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
can you tell me more about what you're using for this and what you're doing exactly? I'll work on that and check if I can make it work for the next version.
There is a program called Thinstall that takes a snapshot of your system before and after the installation of a program, and then it finds the differences between the two snapshots and creates a file that has all the new files in it and all the new registry entries. This allows you to take that file to any computer (school, internet cafe, etc) and run that program from that file. All the changes the program makes to its files/registry keys will be updated in that big file. At least that's how I think it works since I haven't really used it...
What Ehtyar probably wants to do is to Thinstall WLM and MP!L so that he can take it to his work/school/whatever, but he is having problems with MP!L.
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
11-05-2007 09:36 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Ehtyar

O.P. RE: Portable Messenger Plus Anyone?
Exactly right. Thus far i haven't come across something that doesn't work in thinstall. I'm currently using thinstalled photoshop and thinstalled ms office 07, which might give you some idea of the power of this thing. I'm fairly confident i can solve this problem on my own given some idea of what is causing the load failure, but of course i'm more than open to some help. If there is a debug build that might perhaps give me some error information, or some description of how mpl integrates with messenger, that would be a big help.

Thanks, Ehtyar.
11-06-2007 12:45 AM
bramvandeperre

Some random dude

32 / Male / Flag
http://www.msglite.org/

ok.. WLM 8.5 is portable.. now plus! live 4.50?

This post was edited on 12-09-2007 at 05:39 AM by bramvandeperre.
12-09-2007 05:38 AM
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
While I haven't tried this myself, partially due to the fact I can't get a Thinstalled messenger working in the first place, wouldn't it work if you took the snapshot of before WLM was installed, and then install WLM AND Plus!, and then packaged it all together? Because then theoretically you have all the correct files in place... It's probably a bit more complicated than that but hey sometimes the simplest solution might be the best one.
12-09-2007 07:07 AM
bramvandeperre

Some random dude

32 / Male / Flag
aardvark, nee, want er zijn nog extra dingen die je nodig hebt voor winks enzo en die zitten dus al in WLM lite in..

eardpig, no, because there are other things you'll need to display winks etc, and they are included in WLM lite..

This post was edited on 12-09-2007 at 11:15 AM by bramvandeperre.
12-09-2007 07:24 AM
Novastar827

RE: RE: Portable Messenger Plus Anyone?
quote:
Originally posted by vandeperreh
http://www.msglite.org/

ok.. WLM 8.5 is portable.. now plus! live 4.50?

unfortunately, plus 4.50 is no more compatible with thinstall then the previous versions, which isn't really a suprise, disabling the safety checks doesn't even get you the plus menu, but I already knew that when patchou suggested it months ago, finding the exact cause for why it doesn't work has been pretty difficult, although I suppose it's safe to say that it's a conflict between detours and thinstall, since both use similar methods of rerouting, and modifying api calls, it might help if there was a method of loading plus into the process in a less complex, more direct alternative form, to at least eliminate the loader as an issue, although there's no guarantee that it would get you any further
12-09-2007 05:19 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: